When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new prototype from our PT ! 6542 & 6541

pismo

Nice to see a 6542 rep finally available (6541 reps have been around for some time). They got the basic idea more or less right, but it is clearly a rep. But if the GMT hand works correctly, I might have to get 1 of these just for the movement. The GMT components in my 2846-powered Phase 1 '42 came from a 2836-2, which beats faster, so the GMT hand tends to be a bit off after several hours (due to the beat rate difference between the 2 movements).

Ooooohhhh look at that stretchy rivet bracelet!!!!

That bracelet is $150 or so from Yuki... Im hoping this watch is around $200 like the Submariners. Lug holes and rehaut are absolutely horrible though, so hopefully that gets changed before its released. I dont know much about these old bakelite bezel inserts. How close if this one? Or close at all?

Even if they dont fix those problems, I would buy this watch just for the bracelet and movement and throw the rest away! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Nice to see a 6542 rep finally available... 

freddy, the insert looks good to me, though I'd blend it in more, the 4th hand arrow isn't right and I can't see if the word 'date' is not on the dial but I'd guess they'd get that right. I can't put my finger on it, but the watch just somehow doesn't look right to me. What does your eye say?

Also. in the description two things of interest. 

"bi-directional rotating bezel, bezel made from acrylic which is the same as genuine, first in replica!" 

"Other bezel and dial colors will be released too." 

Edited by JoeyB

Did anyone notice that the 6542 had roulette wheel? I don't know if they will fix the rehaut, because that may affect the size of the dials and if the factories are all tooled up and printed the dials already...well...what you get is what you see...I agree with some members here...good for parts....as for the 6541...I like it...but the mid-case looks too thick...thoughts anyone?

...as for the 6541...I like it...but the mid-case looks too thick...thoughts anyone?

I'm not a 6541 fanatic, but it seems to match well with the straight-on picture of the 6541 on Maron's site (the one with the smooth bezel). Also, the new PT 6541 fixes the biggest sins of the MBK version i.e. the way-way-WAY-too-thick mid-case and caseback, and the extremely low crown position. Maybe I'm just dazzled by the Faraday cage!

Also, does anyone know the visual differences between a 6541 and a 6543?

from    Nikki Chen <sales@puretimewatch.com>

to    xxxxxxx@xxxxx.com

date    Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 4:53 AM

subject    JOEYB: Vintage GMT-Master 6542 PT Edition - Prototype (17 high res images)

Display images below - Always display images from sales@puretimewatch.com

Dear Joyeb,                                CHECK HERE FOR OUR SPECIAL NEVER BEFORE OFFER!!

Many thanks for your kind mail with Puretimewatch.com!

We are from China and shipping is also from China, are well known for quality watches all these years. The prices are designed the lowest possible already on our site and shipping costs are per order; truly you are not charged more. Shipping fee is as per order, please visits the Shipping Fee Table Page on our site and will be automatically added to your order on our site; delivery lead time to your door is usually 5 – 7 working days.

Most of our watches are 99% mirror image replicas and are made of same material as of originals. We are one of the most experienced replica watch suppliers and are sure you will find our craftsmanship and quality best and will become an addict of our watch once you have a first order from us.

You’re below requested watch is not released yet and will update you once arrived. The price range will be approximately USD200 for your kind info. You can in the meantime check other similar watches and can be ordered on our site and we will be back with the relative Tracking Number soon. Believe us the prices are already maintained the lowest possible on our site and further discounts are only possible if orders paid by www.westernunion.com or by a bank transfer. No discounts are available for Credit Card & PayPal paid orders we loose huge commission/ International Transactions Fees with our Payment Gate. 

Probably a good starting point! unfortunately, the most glaring problem the "Wok" rehault is something that can't be fixed. Looks like the GMT hand is too long, maybe a slightly larger dial and straighter rehault is in the works? Who knows. But for 200.00 USD, you could cannabalize it for the movement, date wheel and bracelet, and still be ahead.

Ooooohhhh look at that stretchy rivet bracelet!!!!

That bracelet is $150 or so from Yuki...

Yes, since it comes with the watch, PT's bracelet is cheaper. But it is also the same POS that has been around for years that anyone with any vintage Rolex experience can ID as an Asian-made POS from yards away. Yuki's bracelet, on the other hand, is so close to my gens that I often have trouble telling them apart. Of course, Yuki's is not without its problems (they do not accept 2mm springbars) & differences (close but incorrect fonts in stampings, etc), but, without a good deal of vintage Rolex bracelet knowledge & close scrutiny, most collectors would be fooled most of the time.

I dont know much about these old bakelite bezel inserts. How close if this one? Or close at all?

Close is a relative term. Although it looks like plastic, the colors & fonts are wrong.

Even if they dont fix those problems, I would buy this watch just for the bracelet and movement and throw the rest away!

I am with you on the movement. Assuming that the GMT hand tracks correctly (it is slightly off on my Phase 1 2846-powered franken because the GMT wheels came from a faster-beat 2836-2).

Also, only service dials (& reps) include the -T<25 at the bottom of the dial. The gen dials just say SWISS.

the 4th hand arrow isn't right

Correct. The GMT hand does not look right. Compare to this gen on my Phase II watch

0031-3.jpg

012-2_2__tonemapped1-2.jpg

6542red20022__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

(Excepting the dial & insert, everything you see is gen)

"bi-directional rotating bezel, bezel made from acrylic which is the same as genuine, first in replica!" 

"Other bezel and dial colors will be released too."

Bi-directional is correct (also, there should be no clicks -- the bezel rotates freely like early Subs) & lets hope the 'other bezel' has better colors (& fonts).

Did anyone notice that the 6542 had roulette wheel?

Yes, but--surprise, surprise--the background color is speckled silver (brushed steel datewheels did not appear until years after the 6542 was discontinued), the fonts look hand-painted & they have the font colors backwards (on the gens, evens are red/odds are black).

RLX-2010-11-20-02-04_enl.jpg

Looks like the GMT hand is too long

Yes.

Close is a relative term. Although it looks like plastic, the colors & fonts are wrong.

The site says "bi-directional rotating bezel, bezel made from acrylic which is the same as genuine, first in replica!" and we know that the original was bakelite.

I think the fonts are right but maybe thinner? I've seen those colors on gens. How would we know what color is right when we have no new gen insert to judge from? 

Also, only service dials (& reps) include the -T<25 at the bottom of the dial. The gen dials just say SWISS.

the T<25 refers to the Tritium content in the lume.  

Correct. The GMT hand does not look right. Compare to this gen on my Phase II watch

You'd think that if you and I could build our own 4th hand that the factory could do better than that.

Yes, but--surprise, surprise--the background color is speckled silver (brushed steel datewheels did not appear until years after the 6542 was discontinued), the fonts look hand-painted & they have the font colors backwards (on the gens, evens are red/odds are black).

GREAT CATCH!! Good eye, freddy, I missed that. 

and we know that the original was bakelite.

Alot of people refer to the insert as being 'bakelite', but it is actually Perspex, which, while similar, is not the same. More info here.

I think the fonts are right but maybe thinner? I've seen those colors on gens. How would we know what color is right when we have no new gen insert to judge from?

I have a handful of pics of 6542s with nearly mint 2nd gen (supposedly, following the radiological scare after the initial batch of Perspex inserts, Rolex made a 2nd run of Perspex inserts (with slightly different fonts & lighter background colors) before switching to metal) gen inserts & they all look like this (note - this watch has a later replacement/service dial)

RXGMT6542GILTSTEEL-01.jpg

Image1-38.jpg

Image2-12.jpg

the T<25 refers to the Tritium content in the lume.

Yes, but that nomenclature did not appear on any of the original '42 dials. It was added to later dials that were made specifically for replacement during service.

You'd think that if you and I could build our own 4th hand that the factory could do better than that.

Yes, but we are neurotic fanatics, the factories are just trying to sell reps. So I cannot really criticize them (too much). At least, they did not fit the watch with the later large triangle hand.

Regarding the stir-fry rehaut, how about buying one of each and putting the GMT guts in the 6541? Its rehaut actually looks pretty good, though the midcase is far too thick.

Two steps forward, one step back.

Alot of people refer to the insert as being 'bakelite', but it is actually Perspex, which, while similar, is not the same. More info here.

Yeah, I knew that and really should have posted it correctly. But that rep's insert, like the after-market ones, is acrylic. 

I have a handful of pics of 6542s with nearly mint 2nd gen (supposedly, following the radiological scare after the initial batch of Perspex inserts, Rolex made a 2nd run of Perspex inserts (with slightly different fonts & lighter background colors) before switching to metal) gen inserts & they all look like this (note - this watch has a later replacement/service dial)

RXGMT6542GILTSTEEL-01.jpg

Yep, me too. Actually that pic is what gave me the idea to 'blend in' the insert I bought from you. After I finish a current project I am going back to my black 6542 and do the dial and insert differently. I really want the look of the insert in the Marron pic, which means white bezel numbers. I just assumed from it's condition that it was an after-market insert. All the better. 

65423.jpg

Yes, but that nomenclature did not appear on any of the original '42 dials. It was added to later dials that were made specifically for replacement during service.

Then those would be the replacements after the radioactive scare. I thought they used them as original after that for the rest of the 6542 run. 

Yes, but we are neurotic fanatics, the factories are just trying to sell reps. So I cannot really criticize them (too much). At least, they did not fit the watch with the later large triangle hand.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! I didn't want to be, it's all yor fault!!   :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Regarding the stir-fry rehaut, how about buying one of each and putting the GMT guts in the 6541? Its rehaut actually looks pretty good, though the midcase is far too thick.

Two steps forward, one step back.

I am guessing, if they even remotely attempted to get dial size correct, the Milgauss dials were significantly larger in diameter. Even though 'real' 6542 dials made to fit 1030 movements were also a bit bigger 27.8mm, if I had to guess these 6542 rep dials are based on 1675 size or Sub/SD size dial blanks in the 26.5mm range. The Wok is to compensate for the smaller dial..

Then those would be the replacements after the radioactive scare. I thought they used them as original after that for the rest of the 6542 run.

The 'scare' was limited to the bezel inserts. There has been an ongoing debate over the active component used to ignite mid-50s Rolex dials (radium vs tritium), but my guess, based on the fact that the lume on many early '42s has turned a greenish color (typical of radium, atypical of tritium), is that the tritium content mark was applied to differentiate those later service dials from the original radium dials. And this is why the original dials are so highly prized (& valued).