When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jogging is supposed to be better for you while in cold weather. Have you heard that?

reggiereg

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Pfffft! Winter is where it's at. I've run, ice-biked and XC skied thousands of miles in subzero temps. Don't let the weather stop you!

It helps to breathe through a scarf or polarfleece but it quickly gets ice clogged. So instead learn to put the tip of your tongue against the back of your top teeth and breathe in around your tongue and through your nose to prewarm your air, then exhale through pursed lips to direct the moisture away. You won't frost your lungs and the feeling of a good hot sweat at -20F is exhilarating! Never wear anything but light wool against your skin for this and change into dry bottom layers as soon as you stop.

And enjoy the winter!

snowy_grin.JPG

Not good for your respiratory system, Id rather do it indoors.

What?!

So you mean all these millions of years of evolution (or gods infinite wisdom, if you're that way inclined) were all all superseded in the last hundred years by man's invention of aircon?

Let me put that another way... You're saying nature and the natural environment are bad for us?

• 1 year later...

repiratory issues aside, I'm not exactly sure what studies or rumors you may be referring to... but activity in colder weather tends to burn more calories.  In fact, simply being in cold weather you burn more calories, not just shivering, but also reallocating blood closer to your skin and burning cals to keep warm.

In fact a very stupid, but marginally true, way to boost your metabolism is to turn the shower cold for a bit (or take cold showers)... etc etc...

but then it's so much easier to watch diet and allocate time to working out (We ALL have 10-20 minutes a day, no matter how busy you are... most of us 3 hours of free time)...

DS

I'm partial to running three miles with a sauna suit on twice a week no matter how hot or cold out. I did get brain freeze once from running in the cold and breathing too quickly :0 lol

All jokes aside, colder air feels better to jog in. Period. Easier to breathe if you asked me. If you feel you are developing fluids in your lungs or sinuses, Find out why and wear a face mask if that helps. We are nomadic creatures and walking and running keep us going strong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...