When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rare DRSD showing up on TRF, what do you make of it?

P4GTR

hxxp://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=160988&page=1

replace the two x's in the hxxp to t's.

I agree the pointy looking cg's look s little weird, and the crown position sits low from the bezel. However, I am not an authority.. Interested to see what you guys make of it.

the owner, sure sounds either incredibly naive, or he's really crafty. I believe the watch is genuine. What rings the big alarm bell is how did he get it for 350.00 USD? I'm sure all of those auctions are advertised, and you know there has to be someone there looking to find good used high end watches that they can resell. One wonders if he had some inside help from someone in the PD? Wha do you want to bet that as soon as the serial number comes out, someone will come forward with a police report of the watch being stolen. This one is too rare to fly under the radar. the only way this could fly is the watch was taken off someone who stole it a long time ago and it got caught up with some recently stolen stuff. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. If he has a real 1/30 prototype SD, he's looking at a whole lot more that Dr. Bob's Submariner sold for on ebay a few weeks ago, providing he can hold on to it.

funny how he "changed the crystal" and then proceeded to ask the question " how do you open a caseback?" :bangin: :bangin:

It makes me wonder whether that watch was a franken or not since the pics are too lousy :g: :g:

I found pics of a prototype version...

2657856113_0a04046eb0.jpg

2658682150_ac640469f5_o.jpg

2657855791_f6c27e4347.jpg

funny how he "changed the crystal" and then proceeded to ask the question " how do you open a caseback?" :bangin: :bangin:

It makes me wonder whether that watch was a franken or not since the pics are too lousy :g: :g:

hmm.. those guards are similarly pointy. I believe he/she stated that they had a watch smith change the crystal because the old one was all scratched up, but they still have the old one.

Looks like that prototype has some engraving on the caseback, possibly with a he valve on the case, a slightly different version. :pardon:

I believe it was mentioned that they had taken it to a jeweler to have a new crystal put on prior to posting pics of it. That's also why it has the wrong crystal.

2657856113_0a04046eb0.jpg

That's an SRSD right?...not really the same thing.

Edited by PatronSaintofChainsaws

It is the SRSD. However, in the DRSD evolution, the biggest case change happens when they go from Mark II to Mark III, where they switched from thin --> thick case. Therefore, The SRSD and Mark I should have a similar or the same case. Also, there should've been an engraved case back. Still, that guy is one lucky bastard.

Edited by praetor

my bad, to correct my previous post, the prototype in question does not have a helium escape valve, which is why there should be no engraving on the case back. Regardless, the case shape, case back etc should be similar.

But you know, if you look at it from another perspective, 350 dollars is how much the public thinks how cheap your non shiny vintage rolex is worth. Haha...makes me feel safe wearing these watches.

@ Ronin: what they were talking about were the combination of a thin case + mark III dial. Which, in vintage rolex terms, is not a surprising find at all IMO.

Edited by praetor