When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT-Master 6542

chrgod

What is the general opinion on the new Vintage GMT-Masters which are out at Puretime..?

I cant find that it has been discussed anywhere, or are these similar to the previous "prototypes"?

I am surprised to see this out just before CNY.

6542 Coke

White dial

post-666-0-23983200-1296163695.jpg

post-666-0-85282800-1296163705.jpg

post-666-0-23516400-1296163712.jpg

post-666-0-83160000-1296163719.jpg

post-666-0-72743500-1296163735.jpg

Edited by chrgod

I just cant get past the WOK..... I hear Pac-Man in my head when I see that rehaut.... WOKa-WOKa-WOKa-WOKa..... (or Fozi Bear, waka-waka).

As bad as I would like to have a 6542, I'm with Ronin, that one has about as bad a rehault as I have ever seen.:thumbdown: And unfortunately, not something that can be fixed like crown/tube, crystal, insert etc.

Strangly, they don't seem to offer the white dial version with a pepsi bezel, it's shown on the black dial version, but not the white. Too bad!!:wounded1:

I just cant get past the WOK..... I hear Pac-Man in my head when I see that rehaut.... WOKa-WOKa-WOKa-WOKa..... (or Fozi Bear, waka-waka).

As bad as I would like to have a 6542, I'm with Ronin, that one has about as bad a rehault as I have ever seen.:thumbdown: And unfortunately, not something that can be fixed like crown/tube, crystal, insert etc.

Strangly, they don't seem to offer the white dial version with a pepsi bezel, it's shown on the black dial version, but not the white. Too bad!!:wounded1:

I'd like to see more pics. It might be that the rehaut isn't as bad as it is in the pic with the glare on it. The bezel sits lower than the Silix case that I used, so that's good. The dial looks OK. The insert is not per genuine, but is not worse than any of the lower priced after-markets out there. The better replacement inserts sell for more than this watch does. Depending on more vision angles of the rehaut, I'd consider it for a project because of it's cost. Another $200 and a little work and it could be a winner. 

complete vrong,at all levels.

Just considering the lug holes location, this mean to block by TIG welding then re-drill and re-polish the case sides.

and even if you decide to modd this piece of s... just let it at home in a display window, as nobody in the today real world wear a 6542 so everybody will know is a fake

RA, I'll respectfully disagree a bit. The lug holes are high, but they are in a better position than Josh's 16710 'retro' which are at the very point of the lug, and we've made those work. I think the picture gives a false view. 

As far as wearing a 6542, I've worn my black dial quite a bit and gotten many compliments on it, but no one has questioned it's authenticity yet. I've run into two other people wearing gens, they are a bit rare, but 6542s are selling for about $9,000 and up. I have yet to see any of the asking price $30,000 to $45,000 6542s actually sold on Ebay, But I have seen quite a bit of 6542 parts sold, and sold a few myself. The market might be different in France, as I sold a ClassicWatchParts 6542 bezel and insert, not the most correct look, on Ebay for more than my 'buy it now' price to someone in France and just under what Classic sells it for new.   People wear much more expensive watches like gold Presidents all the time, so I don't think it's a display piece yet. The White dial is much more rare, granted, and I've never seen a genuine one in person. But it is so very nice.

I think, until someone buys one of these from Puretime and we get a better look at it, the jury is still out.      

complete wrong,at all levels.

Just considering the lug holes location, this mean to block by TIG welding then re-drill and re-polish the case sides.

and even if you decide to modd this piece of s... just let it at home in a display window, as nobody in the today real world wear a 6542 so everybody will know is a fake

I respectfully have to disagree with you about no one wearing these. i know several folks who wear watches that are far,far more expensive than the 6542. I believe that it depends on the individual as to whether or not you can pull it off. I would expect that if you are an individual who is making 300k + per year, no one is going to question your watch. If you are 18 years old and working at McDonald's after school, well, that's probably a whole different deal.

Something else, we spend hours on this forum, some daily, some less frequently, but all in all, an inordinate time discussing and analyzing replicas, down to the most minute detail. I can assure you we are the exception, not the rule. For about 99.999% of the folks in the world, a watch is a watch,is a watch, it's on their wrist because they want to have an instrument that they can use to tell what time it is. they do not fawn over, salivate over or even care about watches outside of the strictly ulitarian uses that they own them for. Consequently, those folks generally can't tell a Timex from a Rolex. They MIGHT know that Rolex doesn't now make quartz watches, so a really cheap quartz Rolex rep may be a tip off, but I wouldn't even guarantee that. So unless you are wearing your rep into a really savvy AD, or a VRF GTG, i would think you are pretty safe. The 6542 needs a lot of aging however as the newness may be only minus.

I personally wouldn't buy this one because of the Rehault, and the lack of the Pepsi bezel insert as an option for the white dial version. Otherwise, I would have one on the way.

Would it be possible to bore out the rehaut so its just flat sided ?

All the heavy machines some of the guys use must be able to do something like that.

Then you would never be able to mount a dial or movement. They would fall right through to the plexi.

Well my PT 6542 arrived yesterday PM and, yes, the rehaut is definitely wokky! And as was previously pointed out, the GMT hand leaves something to be desired- the pointer is just a slab of shiny metal with no lume on it.

P1010135.jpg

I've already had a few movement issues. The GMT hand appears to be slipping on it's pinion. When I first set the time yesterday, the seconds hand was working fine, but the minute hand and hour hand weren't moving. This morning I uncased the movement to measure the dial. The diameter of the dial is 27.0mm, .3mm less than Yuki's 6542 dial which is 27.3mm. I couldn't budge the stem in the crown, but when I put the watch back together the minute hand and hour hand started working! But it looks like the GMT may still be slipping. The movement is a 2846, with 17 jewels. Engravings aren't very clear and I can't help but wonder if the chinese haven't copied this movement. But I will have to let the watchmaker tell me if it is swiss or not. I figure a cleaning and service is in order as well as a new GMT hand.

The other drawback to the case is the poor positioning of the holes in the lugs

P1010137.jpg

They sit on the high side of the lugs and are small. The bracelet is OK, and I measured the springbars- 1.74mm thick, with pivots of .9mm. Not the 2mm /1.2mm pivots I had thought was correct for this model. The 7206 is expandable but may be a little thick as freddy pointed out previously.

The plastic crystal isn't very tall either, but date mag is good. DW is silver colored background w/ flat top 3's, (open 6's and 9's as I recall).

I haven't pulled off the bezel yet, but the edge treatment is decent- coin edged as expected. Insert is so-so- too new if anything, as is the whole watch- a good dose of aging is definitely a must and a new case would be great. It looks like the GMT hand is moving now and the watch continues to keep time!

When I bought this watch Chi, I pretty much figured I was buying a dial, movement and bezel assembly. If you took the slope out of the rehaut, the dial wouldn't fit in the case. The lugholes could maybe be fixed of sorts- slope the top edges over- round over so to speak- which would also thin the lugs some and maybe file the undersides- probably the whole bottom edge. But the lughole drilling is inconsistent- 2 of 4 are halfway decent, the other two are problematic.

You could beat up this case and maybe use it for a 7922, but you'd need a crystal. And I haven't got into the bezel/crystal retention ring assembly yet. It could be another PT nightmare w/ the plastic gasket thrown in there,... will take it apart tonight!

I noticed Yuki has the 6542 case available again- but I don't know if i'm ready to drop $500+ yet.

Alli - is the GMT hand actually slipping (does it move if you blow air on it when uncased) or just not keeping the correct time?

I reported something similar when I transplanted the GMT components from the Silix ROLS176's 2836-2 onto the (freshly serviced) 2846 I used in my Phase 1 6542 (right)

6542twins300022__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

The GMT hand worked perfectly when it was on the 28.8kbh 2836-2, but it runs a bit slow on the 21.6kbh 2846. The gearing that mates with the GMT components in each movement (due to their differing beat rates), which I believe is why the hand is unable to keep pace in the 2846.

Good point freddy. This was more like when I was advancing the minute and hour hands with the crown and the GMT hand was just 'slip siding away'.

At times the minute and hour hand would be turning and the GMT wouldn't even move at all.

The watch was going this morning but stopped around 10:30- second hand still ticking.

I have spare 150 & 90 hands, may have a temp GMT- 2.0mm, I believe. But I see a trip to the watchmaker for a looksee. I just hate sending stuff back to China.

But I knew going in that the 2846 was a risk. One with 17 jewels could easily be 25-30 years old- in fact, it might be a plain 2846, no -1 or -2 after the 2846- like I say, the engraving was hardly legible.

• 4 months later...

Just checked: No glow on the PT bezel.

The NDT looks much better IMHO and supposedly they have one that glows (this one doesn't either):

Rob6542-1-2.jpg

6542Rob-6-2.jpg

As for the wok: I could reduce it quite a bit using a InGod dial that I slightly larger.

I just rolled up sandpaper and went until I got as close as I could to the diameter of the dial, took a couple of hours....