When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I miss this hobby

By-Tor

I don't know about you, but I miss the "earlier days" of this hobby. Reps weren't so accurate but they were cheap as hell. Paul was selling ETA-powered reps for $170 and people were buying like crazy. Lots of traffic in the forum (although back then the community wasn't divided into 5-6 different camps). Personally, I never understood why we need all those forums but that's another story...

We had only a handful of great replicas. None of them would qualify as "super reps" now... not even close, but they were still great: initial Seamaster Pro, TW Best Sub, those extremely inaccurate MBW's (that had mythical reputation), glass back Moon Watch, etc. etc.

Remember watcher's China Sub vs. Gen comparison in the original RWG? People praised the rep and it was amazing how accurate it felt back then. Now people would laugh at it. Pictures of modded WM9's can fool even Tribal and Ubi.

I remember how happy I was with my fantasy Speedy. Now that kind of new release would get hammered by the membership. We have some replications that are literally 98% (visually). Are we happier now? I don't think so.

Back in 2005 people were enthusiastic. All out-of-the-box reps got praise from the members. Now we need a $3000 frankenwatch to get any kind of discussion going. Don't get me wrong, it's great that we have those amazing watches (and builders) among us, but what about ordinary buyers who don't have the money/skills? Is anyone still interested in their new purchase?

Ubi wrote that he feels bored. I don't feel bored but I simply don't have anything to buy, or any reviews to write. What to write about? We have seen it all. I haven't even picked up my camera in a LONG time to photograph the watches.

Maybe we older members have simply "raced" it all and reached our goals? Have we become "elitists", just like the gen watch snobs? :D I mean seriously, have we lost some members because of that kind of attitude?

This isn't supposed to be a negative post. I'm just wondering what we could do better to return this forum into its original glory. We have been discussing this in the admin room but I'd also like to hear some ideas from the membership. :good:

I just got my first rep recently, so everything is new to me. Your reviews have helped out a lot. I'd love to dive into it buying tons of watches but at $400 a pop now after shipping and CC fees, it's hard to buy more than 1 every other month.

I go through hobby cycles every 3-4 years. I was into buying pistols/rifles/machineguns and got bored with it. Then I got into cars and modding them, then got bored with it. Then got into home improvement and got bored with it. My hobbies are just too damn expensive. I've got a gun that costs me $25 for every 3 seconds I shoot it. Now I'm starting to get into this stuff.

You might need a break for a while and you'll come back to it eventually.

Edited by dustindu4

Know exactly where you are coming from buddy, there seems to be a lack of wonder and excitement now.

Instead of members (like myself) landing here and being absolutely astounded that a forum like this exists with access to mythical AAA+++ copy watches (which unfortunately were only good for a 30 meter dash in the rain) and at prices way under the 1K the scammers wanted, now everyone knows where to come and what to expect in prices.

An interesting thing i have noticed though is that when I found RWG many moons ago the web was loaded with site selling 1.5k Rolex replica's and such but now even the scam sites have more realistic prices, so at least we have done some good.

Also hear you about the early watches, I had a much loved Seamaster broad arrow (loved the fat blue hands) and wore it everywhere until one day the doorman at a store I was working at noticed it and said "Wow thats an Omega" then straight after that he said "Oh did you know the minute hand has fallen off" :lol:

Ken

We have been discussing this in the admin room but I'd also like to hear some ideas from the membership. :good:

Agreed BT. Haven't been too excited lately - that is until my 112m arrived yesterday :D I had to break out my camera for this bad boy. (Review is in the Panerai section - in case anyone's interested)

While we may have come a long way in the rep world and far surpassed the older reps that got everyone excited, I think the H-factory offerings are really stepping up the excitement. I am really looking forward to what they come out with next and that has put a little bit of spark back into my enjoyment of the rep game.

On the other side of things, guys like jmb who turn out cheap, fantastic looking reps from his own mill shop also makes me smile. I love his approach and I look forward to reading about each watch that he comes up with. Same thing with the projects that LHOOQ have been working on lately. Yes, the super expensive franken's stir up a lot of discussion and praise, but so do some really well written reviews and great photos.

I think one thing we are missing is the great photo reviews. Guys like you BT, and pugwash, and LHOOQ and Ubi who take the time to compose some great looking photos (and Lani back in the day). I keep trying to strive to take photos as good as you guys and I hope you all will continue to do it as well.

I would never have even attempted to get better if I hadn't seen those pics from you By-Tor.

I think I may see a pattern here.. all you guys complaining that his hobby has jumped the shark also happen to have the word 'staff' in your profiles. :shock: 'Staff' suggests a job.. and when it becomes your vocation rather than you avocation, something is lost. (Just sayin'.. please don't ban me or anything!)

No you have got it wrong there.....*Ken searches around his desk*....It's not because we are staff members....*looks under papers, opens drawers*....it's because we have been around long enough to remember how it was....*here it is, the big red ban button*... :D

Ken :animal_rooster:

hmmm...interesting topic...

not sure i know where the hobby is for me - but do understand and agree with the points BT and others have made....i've been fortunate to be able to own and continue to own some really nice pieces...i do miss the fury of picking up and selling various pieces...especially the rarer ones...definitely a lot of uber-franken and high priced pieces shown, bought, sold...i do enjoy the mods that are shown/presented...but i long decided that i wear, build and mod pieces that i like - so replimanical accuracy isn't always high on my list...loved to follow Chrgod's best value pieces - but its only recently with the H-factory PAMs, have we seen watches in the under $250 range...

not bored with the hobby yet...matter-of-fact, learning to fix/mod/build is keeping me busy...love the feeling when a piece comes together and actually works!...

but many of you i consider friends and good acquaintances...the comaraderie is terrific and that's what keeps me here...

cheers...R

Interesting.

I think this is more of a reflection on the current speed of life, and state of technology. Zoom out- things are moving pretty fast these days. We expect a new iPhone or other tech item every year. Technological advances everywhere bring things to market quicker, and in the case of reps, with incredible accuracy.

I think we have simply reached the point on the graph where the line is going nearly vertical. Excellent reps are expected, they exist, not much else to do but grab-n-go. Commodity? Accessibility is there too, so when 10 people get the new PAM in the same month-- wham-bam-thank you ma'am. Here are some pics, a quick discussion, and move along. The poor guy who picks one up 4 months later is simply old-hat.

I honestly don't come here looking for "Reps" anymore, or even care that much what is happening in that space. I come here for the WIS Knowledge base, and to see what "creations" we are are making. To me this is a WATCH forum that happens to be Rep friendly.

Crazy Idea: We are also bad hosts at times. Too often we are quick to dismiss something because it has been discussed before and yell at people to use the Search function. So here is my crazy idea-- NUKE the majority of archived, historical posts. Half the stuff is out of date anyway. Press the RESET button on the forum and see what "re-grows" organically.

• Like 1

I miss the old days of The Replica Collector. The red light / green light dealer ratings. Not really being sure you'd even receive a watch after you paid. Natalie's A+++++++++++++ subs. (I still have a Natalie watch). Hmmm, what else from those days...

Oh yah, and I still pull up watchtrader ever so often to see if it`s alive and kickin.

Back then it was the place to sell used reps.

I am by far not as long around as some of you guys, but even I understand that the more and more exact reps coming out these days are actually taking away some of the fun.

A watch just feels more special when you have done something to it. Got the Pam26K and the new AP Diver V2 and while they are great watches they don't really give you that spark.

I took the DIver in the water not even worrying if it will hold up because worst case I just send it back and get a new one...

My solution are the vintage watches, they leave you more creativity and ingenuity and actually let you tell a story, a new story with every watch

Photography is another topic that keeps me inspired, looking for new backgrounds and props and working with new and different editing tools.

Apart from that everything you do for a long time will loose it's appeal at some point, just like sleeping with the same woman year after year (there comes a point when you have to get creative :) )

those were some fun times on TRC....TTK vs Natalie (or TTK vs just about anyone) was entertanment at its best...and the usual who has the best sub (i'll admit, that was me as well)....paul with his "carzy" sale and frogmariner....i still have my first sub from river somewhere though its been pretty beaten up and no longer works...its been (and still is) a fun ride....

The days of cheap thrills are unfortunately long gone.

There has been a lot of evolution with this hobby; much of it a result of forums and diiscussions as like minded collectors can put their heads together to develop ways to take really good watches and the sort and transform them into something more. Aspects of this hobby have become more expensive, collectors become more attentive and the manufacturers are trying to keep up to cash in on this odd phenomenon. We've seen a lot of growth in the past 10 years; we've seen membership base expand across multiple fora and at numbers that are quite impressive. I think what was once a relatively underground hobby has become more mainstream. And as such, the old inaccurate bargains out there just don't cut it any longer as they just don't sell; people want the good stuff.

I've come to a point in this hobby, as many sometimes do where you've exhausted your interest. Not because the hobby isn't fun any longer... But maybe the personal interest has just wanned. For me (and I've said this many times), this hobby is only fun for me while there's something to do. I've got a few projects that I am still working on, but once those are finished, I dunno what to do next, or what direction to take my collection or interests. I will always love watches... And my primary focus is on building the pieces that just don't make sense for me to buy if I can build my own. That, and there's the personal satisfaction of enjoying the finished product of my efforts :)

I am sure there will always be something for me to do, though in what capacity I'm just not sure quite yet. Yes.. I am bored. I've put together the collection I've always wanted and now that I'm there... What now? That's what I have to figure out. I had given the thought of listing a couple fo pieces for sale for several months now in hopes to help inspire some motivation to start something new (I've since learned that I have to clear any potential sale with my household first, as apparently they want first dibs). But I'm certainly not bored for sake of there being nothing worthwhile out there. We have some of the best replications available for our consumption, all easily obtained. Things that, 5 years ago, we could only hope to see come to life some day. I think the current level of replicas has sort of smashed the mirrors and blown out the smoke of what is otherwise being charged 10x - 20x at ADs and boutiques. Kinda interesting to see just how far things have come :)

I think this hobby, much like anything else in life is ever changing. Who knows where things will be tomorrow? While I sure do miss the good ol' days... I'm eager to see what happens next!

Cheers and best,

//ubi

As ubi said above the good old days are far behind, and I do miss them.

But I enjoy coming here because it fits like a good Scotch. I`m comfortable here, when I log on no matter where, my old comfortable slippers magically are on my feet and I sit back with my drink in hand and read and enjoy the posts of the day. And usually pick up a thing or 2.

For me, I toast the good old days of today. :drinks:

They will be just as precious tomorrow...

I too know what you mean BT.

Allthough I'm fresher in the hobby, I am not exited anymore buying new watches.

I think that the prices are what stop us all from following the pattern: buy a new model, test it for a while, feel if it's a keeper or not, sell it or not and go for the next one.

The last one I bought was from a member, out of the box. I love it, so I keep it as it was a good priced one.

But buying from dealers? No way! Too much money involved and on top of that too risky these days.

I remember when I found RWG I ordered watches almost once a week, and most of them landed on my wrist.

Since a couple of years ago, none passed the customs, except one who was ordered/send in september 2010 and arrived in july 2011 after a replacement was finally sent by the dealer !!!

Project wise?

I'm still having the 1680 and 1665 projects to improve with Tribal.

But we do that very slowly and certainly not spending the budget I used to spend in some of my former MM watches.

In the end, allthough it can be exciting to build a perfect, all genuine but the middle case watch, why would one reasonable person spend 4.000$ in what will forever remain a fake anyways?

This place will survive of course because it's also about relationship, not only about watches.

And, as a conclusion, I sincerely think that RWG will remain the most exiting place for watch lovers because there are many interresting persons here with a huge knowledge and because it's fun to trade/buy/sell watches among us.

To sumarise, Messieurs les dealers: lower your prices dramaticly and be more concerned in finding ways to ship from other countries than China to make the arrival more secured.

My 2 cents B)

I know exactly what you mean Bro. Here's a post I recently made in the Panerai section. Says it all I think.

Some people just don't get it. A replica will never be the same! Never. If they correct the CG they will build in a flaw somewhere else. Don't want to be an ass but I've been around since the early beginning of RWG1 and the quality and accuracy our reps has improved so much over the years! This is the golden time for replica's and honestly I'm getting tired of all those anal people nit picking about the smallest details. Yes! There are differences and Yes! they can be approved. Can the factories do that? Yes! Will they? NO! There will never be a 100% accurate replica as it would be genuine... think about it. We always wined about the sunken date wheel. That was the biggest tell. If they could please correct that. That would mean everything to us. Now that they corrected that we are bitching about other anal details because 99% accurate is not enough. Let me tell you. I would never want to be a replica dealer as I would probably kill myself. To me it seems like the least rewarding job on the planet.

I like this movie (from Repgeek)

e

I just posted up a cheap rad in the pams section and the new rolex orange hand explorer can be had for 148 bucks. I thought we had turned a corner with the Tudor Heritage that TeeJay has got and were going back to the sub 200$ mark.

I've just ordered a $48 noob from timeshops as the movement the one I got from Chris Eurotimez finally died after a good run. We've been a victim of our own success and pursuit of perfection ,The High quality $1000 self builds though beautiful have set the bar so friggin high no one wants to flash off their 100 buck fantasy watches for fear of ridicule. Perhaps we need a new watch section where we dont take ourselves to seriously and dont spend over 200.

This is what happens when something becomes mainstream, no?

If you've noticed, there was a lady in here looking for a rep of a 40k AP for her 16 year old son. Will either of them ever be part of our community? No.

People know this exists and it has been made safe and easy so now the expectations are high because a lot of the senior members were able to change the scene for the better.

• Like 1

I'm not bored of the hobby, I can't ever see myself 'outgrowing' my obsession with watches the way I outgrew interests like Star Wars, I'm just stuck in a rut financially at the moment (and have been for some time) :bangin: It's nothing serious, I have a roof over my head and food in the cupboards, that's not an issue, so don't start panicking that I'm going to have to start selling my organs to put food on the table, I just have almost no disposable income whatsoever, which means I simply can't afford to buy even the most budget of budget reps at the moment (waiting on a PPI refund though, which might at least get one project accomplished :pray: ) It's like yesterday, I had to take my cuy to the vet to get his foot seen to. A lump of bedding material had somehow bonded to one of his toes, and even soaking in the bath couldn't loosen it, so I knew he had to go to the vet before it turned into a serious infection. 15 minute procedure, and he's fine, but as a result, there goes any spare cash I had for the moment... Such is the responsibility of a pet owner...

piggynorfolk.jpg

I think I'm probably more interested in watches now than I ever have been, and researching new pieces and projects all the time. I've got about six projects on the drawing board at the moment, and £1000 should see them all brought to fruition :bangin: With regard posting, well, I'm pretty limited in what I can contribute, afterall, there's only so many times I can post the same wrist shot :lol: I just try and add something to a conversation if I can, but for the most part, I'm pretty much just stuck in neutral at the moment :pardon:

[Edit to add]

While we initially purchased Norfolk as a regular guinea pig, the additional toes he had on each back foot (had to be removed by the vet as they were not attached by joints, just loose skin, so could have snagged and ripped off) and his rapid growth, lead us to realize he is at least part-Peruvian Cuy. He's about 18 months old, and when sitting, is 14 inches long (that's not even at full stretch) Once the additional toes were removed(one on each rear foot, fully formed with bones,skin, growing claw, hair etc, just no knuckle joining it to the foot) the shape of his feet made it clear that each foot had the bone to accommodate the additional toe, it just lacked the knuckle for said toe to properly attach to the foot... He also eats twice as much as our other regular guinea pigs, and his size is clear from the scale with my fingers :whistling:

TeeJay-

What parts do you need for your projects?

Almost all the projects are pretty much complete builds, requiring entire watches, such as the 1655, and 16800. Even my DateJust projects require entire watches for various parts :bangin: The least part-intensive project would be my snowflake, that needs an insert, snowflake hands, and the movement (I believe that is a 2824?) :)