When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Date Wheel Overlay Decals Finished

jmb

I got the latest batch of decal paper in and I am impressed! The print is without blotches and seems crisp and vivid. They are sized to correspond with a "widescreen" date window in the Rolex position. I am headed out to the shop to apply one over a silver overlay base to see how it looks...

post-24124-0-87978700-1313431688.jpg

• Like 1

Here is an old overlay I had that has a silver colored base metal. I hit it with a Scotch-Brite and applied the decal. If someone was a bit more careful with the "brushing" I think a very credible silver datewheel could be replicated. Of all my spare/old overlays probably 75% of them are a silvery base while the rest are brass colored.

post-24124-0-92165300-1313439003.jpg

post-24124-0-13717000-1313439016.jpg

Oh well, at least I think I got all the numbers in the right spot! :whistling:

Well - not to be a stinker but a critiquer, 30 and 31 have totally different 3's and the spacing between the numbers in all the 20's could use some tweaking.

The decal idea is great! Do you use decal set primer on the date disc first?

Well - not to be a stinker but a critiquer, 30 and 31 have totally different 3's and the spacing between the numbers in all the 20's could use some tweaking.

The decal idea is great! Do you use decal set primer on the date disc first?

If you look at a gen date wheel they are quite different as well. This is due to the "0" in 30 taking up more room then the "1" in 31

I have not used any setting solution...

If you look at a gen date wheel they are quite different as well. This is due to the "0" in 30 taking up more room then the "1" in 31

I have not used any setting solution...

Yep, the gen date wheels vary the size of the number.

I'd recommend using a setting solution. I use 'Micro Set' after roughing up the surface a bit. With just water mine did curl on the edges, and/or peeled. With the solution, it's on very firm, almost like painted, and it gets taught as it dries.

I might have a batch of wimpy font overlays coming to use as a base for complete overlays. If this batch is like the few I sampled several months ago they are on a SS base so I may be able to make up some silver overlays...