When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should We Post A "timewasters" List?

ocram

We all know this situation. You post a watch for sale and some members send you a PM with lots of questions. After numerous messages they disappear.

Or they say: I'll take your watch for the asking price and disappear.

One member asks me while I've posted a Super Avenger a lot of questions. One of them was: is it the big 48mm version. Yes of course! His answer: sorry, it's way to big for me. No problem so far. BUT: he posted a WTB thread about a PAM187!!! WTF?!?

So should we post a list of user names who definately waste your time?

Sent from my iPhone

After selling on FleaBay, and here, the number of random, stupid questions I've received makes me think twice about posting a FS thread...

I would personally welcome such a list, and have few people I wouldn't mind adding to it ;)

My experence has been that most... if not all redundant questions... come from people new to the rep scene. Im not talking about all new members of course..we have some awesome new members. :) But then we have those who are lazy and dont want to put the time and effort Into researching there subject. They show up just to purchase a rep...they contribute little if anything to the community. I think these are the folks that annoy us at times.

The block feature could be a useful tool with certain members. That being said...I also feel that this issue comes with the territory...unfourtunately

Like above the unfortunate reality is that most of the time wasters are noobs, they are also the ones who will be very quick to cause you grief.....I know Paypal is still trying to get money from me that they paid back to one such customer.

If everyone would take the time to learn what we are about and how we operate within this hobby the vast majority of these guys will disappear.

We used to make a point to everyone that buying here was not like shopping in your local mall but in recent times more and more has been expected of sellers until now there's not a whole lot of difference between us and that afore mentioned shopping trip.

Maybe we need to get back to basics and try and get all new members to spend time reading through the forums before simply pointing them to sales sections.

Just my 2 Aussie bob

Ken

Like above the unfortunate reality is that most of the time wasters are noobs, they are also the ones who will be very quick to cause you grief.....I know Paypal is still trying to get money from me that they paid back to one such customer.

If everyone would take the time to learn what we are about and how we operate within this hobby the vast majority of these guys will disappear.

We used to make a point to everyone that buying here was not like shopping in your local mall but in recent times more and more has been expected of sellers until now there's not a whole lot of difference between us and that afore mentioned shopping trip.

Maybe we need to get back to basics and try and get all new members to spend time reading through the forums before simply pointing them to sales sections.

Just my 2 Aussie bob

Ken

"Maybe we need to get back to basics and try and get all new members to spend time reading through the forums before simply pointing them to the sales sections"...

Indeed. :thumbs:

Unfortunately I find there are just as many older "timewasters" as noobs. There are too many professional shoppers. But is it different than any other retail setting. IMHO the problem with a list is that it is always subjective. If you find there is someone who for whatever reason infuriates you make your life better and block them. It is very refreshing. :)

"After selling on FleaBay, and here, the number of random, stupid questions I've received makes me think twice about posting a FS thread..."

I know what you mean.

I started dealing with looney buyers when I traded hot rod Chevrolets in the 1960's and 1970's.

Then it was motorcycle loonies from the 1980's through 2006 working part time in MC dealers.

Most of this time (since the early 1970's), I have traded watches and be-lieve me...watch loonies are the looniest of all. Bar none.

The latest breed of Internet Watch Loonies has taken looneyism to its highest level yet and it seems Rolex Loonies know no boundaries. I first started seeing Rolex Loonies 20+ years ago at NAWCC shows...every one of them had a 10x loupe, knew nothing, and asked 100 questions. Now they are everywhere thanks to the internet. Look in the top of a tall Oak tree and you might see one in an airplane tree house wearing a GMT Master pretending to be a Pan Am Pilot.

"Can I take a quick cold shower while wearing my new $9k DSSD?" :partytime:

I usually just ignore the questions from people who know nothing about the watch that I have for sale. I usually sell pieces that I want to go to someone who will truly appreciate it. If you know nothing about the watch, then how can you appreciate what it has to offer? In the end, that seems to work out best. Haven't had much of a problem yet.

"Maybe we need to get back to basics and try and get all new members to spend time reading through the forums before simply pointing them to the sales sections"...

Indeed. :thumbs:

Hmmm heres my POV as a noobie

I'm I came here BECAUSE of the sale section. Yes, I asked an incredible amount of questions and have walked away from deals that just didnt feel right. I come from the gen world and unless I say "I'll take it." I dont feel obligated to say thanks but no thanks.

I spent over $3000 in the few months since I been here. I still have I lot to learn and I expect my sellers potential or otherwise to assist in my education. I'm the one who is giving them my money.

I have already had dealings (spent money or have projects in the works) with some of the trusted people here. (KB, BK, The Zigmeister, Pbdad, rolexaddict, Vac, josh, trevor, Mary, andrew, etc.. )

I deal with some because either their service and others becuase they are willing to answer my questions.

I know I have bugged some and maybe got on their nerves. But as some will tell you when its time to pay, I pay up promptly and usually in full when only a deposit is required. Also when things dont go right, I'm very patient and willing work with a dealer because I know they are just middlemen really.

I plan to send about $5k in the next 90 days. A lot of questions come with my cash.

With all that said according to the OP I would be put on a list to be alienated to the point that I would leave this forum. I personally just take my cash elsewhere.

I like it here for the friendly atomsphere and really cool people. I wouldnt want to be forced to go to repgeek.... naw I'll just go back to gens before I will every log back on to repgeek.

I encourage all people...especially in our Shout Box and the other boards Chat Box...when I read a " what dealer sells the best Sub" type of thing. I gentley encourage them and point them to the "trusted dealer" threads. I also point them to the "dealer reviews" and other review threads and ask them to do their due diligence when searching through those threads. If I didn't get some questions anwsered and whipped some guys ass'es I never would have learned a thing, so thanks you guys for being patient. my .02 is I don't wanna see a thread that excludes noobs from learning. Don't we have a VIP sales section where most guys are seasoned? To the NOOB....please take the time to do your due diligence studing up first...it will only help you in the long run making good descisions when buying replica's.

Good Hunting,

Rob

I'm I came here BECAUSE of the sale section. Yes, I asked an incredible amount of questions and have walked away from deals that just didnt feel right. I come from the gen world and unless I say "I'll take it." I dont feel obligated to say thanks but no thanks.

I spent over $3000 in the few months since I been here. I still have I lot to learn and I expect my sellers potential or otherwise to assist in my education. I'm the one who is giving them my money.

I have already had dealings (spent money or have projects in the works) with some of the trusted people here. (KB, BK, The Zigmeister, Pbdad, rolexaddict, Vac, josh, trevor, Mary, andrew, etc.. )

I deal with some because either their service and others becuase they are willing to answer my questions.

I know I have bugged some and maybe got on their nerves. But as some will tell you when its time to pay, I pay up promptly and usually in full when only a deposit is required. Also when things dont go right, I'm very patient and willing work with a dealer because I know they are just middlemen really.

I plan to send about $5k in the next 90 days. A lot of questions come with my cash.

With all that said according to the OP I would be put on a list to be alienated to the point that I would leave this forum. I personally just take my cash elsewhere.

I like it here for the friendly atomsphere and really cool people. I wouldnt want to be forced to go to repgeek.... naw I'll just go back to gens before I will every log back on to repgeek.

As I stated In my original post..."we have some awesome new members" If someone is looking for a specific watch that I know Is In the FS section..I most likely will post a link there.

But If a memeber with no experence In the rep world just hangs out In the FS section..not going to learn much IMO.

Back to my original post....some new members are not Interested In being a part of this community...they just want to buy a rep...there are examples all over the place. Im suggesting that people take some time and absorb the outrageous amount of infomation thats available here

I personaly hope you stick around. :) BTW...who has the best sub;) Mike

You can find the same exhasperations with sellers....

I remember many moons ago now... I made the same sort of PM to Sam about one of his watches... " I will take it!" I said in my PM send me your PP.... to my shame I never got back to him... now without making excuses I was a little worse for wear when I sent it and although at the time I meant what I said, the time difference for reply and the realisation that I had already spent to much in those few weeks earlier in the cold light of day meant I was to embarassed as a new noob to admit my over enthusiasm... I did apologise eventually but that was much later when we became friends

I think such a list might only alienate people who make genuine mistakes through an over enthusiasm for this hobby when starting out... and get caught up in that 'I want them all' excitement..

Since then the same has happened to me when selling and when buying... but thats life.... swings and roundabouts :)

I would like to think RWG members are a little more forgiving of noob members... unlike other forums.... however persistent offenders should be banned !!! :) :) ;):) (That last bit was just my humour)

Hope that makes sense :)

Im a noob, and what I really like about this forum is the friendliness and willingness to educate. I have asked lots of questions, some dumb and poorly researched. I have bought 7 watches in a few months too, and not regretted a single transaction. I ask less dumb questions now, and have developed a very healthy respect for the forum and its members. I reckon if a [censored] list is startd, well emd up with dicks adding decent peeps to the list, then peeps defending those peeps, then flamewars. Pretty soon everyone will be on the list and/or have left and morale will be screwed. At least, thats what Foghorn Leghorn said when I asked him.

Yes, I asked an incredible amount of questions

I've isolated a few interesting phrases I thought I might comment on from this self-confessed newbie.

I find it interesting that you feel a sense of entitlement to private sellers answering your questions because you are paying them money for their products. Reasonable questions concerning the item are fine, but I find it odd that you feel you are owed any more than that, simply for paying someone for their property.

Your mention that sellers should 'educate' you is patently ridiculous. You are responsible in educating yourself, by spending the time to sort through and read the vast body of knowledge that had been compiled over many years (for free) by members who contribute their time and energy for no other reason than their personal passion for their hobby.

Flashing money around, and expecting private sellers to go above and beyond for you simply for buying their items for sale is PRECISELY the sense of personal entitlement such a list would identify.

There is nothing more frustrating than spending time and energy patiently answering a potential buyer's questions, to find them later not considerate enough to thank you for your time when they choose not to purchase your item.

You're still new, I imagine your views will change dramatically when you encounter people with similar entitlement issues to your own.

Welcome to the forum, I hope though, for your sake as well as the rest of us, that you strongly reconsider your ideas about purchasing from the private sellers on the forum.

as qouted by subbierock

I've isolated a few interesting phrases I thought I might comment on from this self-confessed newbie.

I find it interesting that you feel a sense of entitlement to private sellers answering your questions because you are paying them money for their products. Reasonable questions concerning the item are fine, but I find it odd that you feel you are owed any more than that, simply for paying someone for their property.

I never said what questions I was asking you have already taken the defense thinking my questions are unreasonable. They are reasonable from a newbie stand point.

Your mention that sellers should 'educate' you is patently ridiculous. You are responsible in educating yourself, by spending the time to sort through and read the vast body of knowledge that had been compiled over many years (for free) by members who contribute their time and energy for no other reason than their personal passion for their hobby.

Like I said before all the people Ive dealt with so far have been more than willing to bring me along in my education. If I decided to spend my money with people who are willing to help me isnt ridiculous. It has helped me be able to not make poor choices and spend my money wisely .So I dont have to be a whiner and post threads about how this or that dealer/seller gave me the raw deal. I'll have all my concerns answers before I make a purchase not after. If something isnt to my standards I'll just walk away. Remember its buy the seller first then the watch,

Flashing money around, and expecting private sellers to go above and beyond for you simply for buying their items for sale is PRECISELY the sense of personal entitlement such a list would identify.

Wasnt flashing money just making a point that there are prob a lot more people like me that can afford gens but are interested in reps. If it seem that way my error. Why drive away not only potential buyers who my one come here looking for one watch but potential members who can and will add to this friendly board. When did I say I expect a buyer to go above and beyond. I expect them to answer questions a buyer question about the watch their selling. Its sound like if youre a seller we should just buy it or not buy it. A rather elitisted of this hobby. Sounds rather repgeekish,

There is nothing more frustrating than spending time and energy patiently answering a potential buyer's questions, to find them later not considerate enough to thank you for your time when they choose not to purchase your item.

That just the name of the game on any board not just hear. I just sold over 20 gens this month and had over 150 inquires. I usually put two things in my sales ad.

1) 3 day inspection period if watch isnt as described and I encourge to ask all questions up front

2) I wont hold a watch, first one that pays get it.

You're still new, I imagine your views will change dramatically when you encounter people with similar entitlement issues to your own.

I think you have mistaking me for a newbie altogether. I'm a newbie to rep not to watch collection. I'm just expect to buyer to treat seller them same way I treat sellers. If you think about about the dealers/ sellers that are praised, Josh, Mary, KB, etc... it usually revolve around how well they comminucated with the sellers new or otherwise.

Welcome to the forum, I hope though, for your sake as well as the rest of us, that you strongly reconsider your ideas about purchasing from the private sellers on the forum.

Thanks for the welcome. I hope we can agree to disargee. You seem like a nice guy with a lot of knowledge that gotten tired of the tire kickers. I'm not a tire kicker. I just want to make sure I purchase wisely. I hope to one day to be able to PM you with question on a subject that you are knowledgable in and maybe one day even call you a friend.

Also for all those who have PM me regarding my intial post on this subject. Thanks for all the friendly and kinds words. I here to stay unless I get banned. Since I dont plan to voilate any policy i'm here to stay.

@ Hartdoc...These RWG vs Reepgeek comments are getting old. If you want to take your ball and go home thats your choice. Being argumentative/disrespectful to well established members is not the way to go....reguardless of forum..rep/gen. Maybe you should sit back and get the vibe of the community before you jump In so quick...just a suggestion.