When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hike's attempt to climb Mt. Everest Blog.......

hiker01

holy crap...i need to spend more time here lately...definitely will now...

F - awesome sharing...an awesome adventure...sooooo - many questions...here's a couple: 1) did you pack and carry what you needed from the beginning to base camp...and more supplies/clothes/etc meets you at base camp?...2) how many miles is the hike from the beginning to base camp...3) batteries?...how many for the trek and/or how are you charging them for the camera...4) is your summit at the beginning, middle or end of the season? - doesn't appear to be that many climbers in your pix...

thanks again, my friend...glad you're safe and sound...R

holy crap...i need to spend more time here lately...definitely will now... F - awesome sharing...an awesome adventure...sooooo - many questions...here's a couple: 1) did you pack and carry what you needed from the beginning to base camp...and more supplies/clothes/etc meets you at base camp?...2) how many miles is the hike from the beginning to base camp...3) batteries?...how many for the trek and/or how are you charging them for the camera...4) is your summit at the beginning, middle or end of the season? - doesn't appear to be that many climbers in your pix... thanks again, my friend...glad you're safe and sound...R

Hey R!

- all the heavy gears were brought up to EBC ahead of us - I carried my daily supplies of snacks, 3 liters of water and my rain gear just in case (about 20 lbs) and the rest of my gear are carried by my Sherpa.

- Lukla Village to EBC is 38.6 miles

- I have two headlamps, one as backup and 2 sets of spare triple As; I use a multi battery pack/grip for the Nikon D90 with 2 spares, and one spare battery for the Nikon AW100, which is an amazing camera by itself.

I used it 90% on the trail and only used two fully charge batteries and I think I took about 800+ shots. Never had to re-charge the D90 and the only time I used it was at Namche Bazaar and Tengboche.

- I started at the very early part of the climbing season.......Mid March. Usually, EBC gets crowded and busy my April.

and for the member who wanted to know what lens I used with the D90, I only use one on trips/hikes like this: 18-70MM AF-S Nikkor Lens!

Day eight: last night was another friggin cold night. Damn......been feeling sick too, starting to have severe stomach pain.....like a knife is being run thru my upper gut, not a very good sign. Didn't eat dinner last night.

Woke up with a little bit of a headache.....had breakfast of black tea, toast and boiled egg. Went back to bed......

Feeling a little better at lunch time.....had another black tea and two boiled eggs.....went for a short hike around the village after....

post-4000-0-52676700-1336329336.jpg

post-4000-0-48300200-1336329403.jpg

post-4000-0-66680400-1336329474.jpg

and then just crashed the whole day.........stomach pain came back.......

Eklal woke me up at dinner time......but my appetite is completely kaput! He suggested for me to have at least some garlic soup and toast.....

post-4000-0-90307800-1336329804.jpg

Goodnight.......................................

F: As someone often cursed with severe stomach pains, I can sympathize. I'd hate to be so far away from the Home Toilet™ when that happened!

It's been a fantastic read so far, and I love how your pictures make your experience so immediately real.

Day Nine: Another cold night......sicker.....didn't eat dinner last night......barely finished my toast and eggs this morning.....but packed and ready to go......off to Luboche today, another tough hiking day, close to 2000ft altitude gain.....6-7 hours of slugging climb.

Lesley, my hiking companion from UK/Kenya......decided to end her climb....felt so bad for her, but she just lost it.......our last breakfast together:

.......and off we go, just me Eklal (my guide) and Sherpa Ramjin ......and encountered yak traffic right away :

post-4000-0-42973800-1336414180.jpg

post-4000-0-78020200-1336414386.jpg

Lunch break at Dughla:

None for me though....just water with Gatorade powder, my taste buds turned to mush....everything takes like the sole of my boots.....

I have to push myself mentally now.....my energy is almost zapped.....but then seeing this sherpa on the way up:

revives me a little......

Just keep on pushing.......

So once you are done climbing, you have to all this again in reverse order to go back to the civilization!!!!!!!

that's why i believe more people die on the way down than up...

@F --> why did the woman climbing with you call it quits?...

Thanks guys!!! :throb:

that's why i believe more people die on the way down than up...

@F --> why did the woman climbing with you call it quits?...

The trail was just too much for and she was really struggling and holding us back.........