When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Hands/ ETA Movement

omgiv

Okay guys. I have decided to go ahead and use a glossy 5513 dial on a 2846 movement. I have no problems cutting the feet off of a glossy dial. My problem is what to do with the hands. All of the rep hands don't look accurate and wanted to use genuine hands. Has anyone had any luck trimming an ETA movement to fit Rolex hands? ETA hands are 90/150/25 and Rolex hands are 80/120/20. The hour wheel, canon pinion, and fourth wheel would all need to be trimmed. I have a lathe and think I can do it but was wondering if anyone has done it before. Thanks!!!!

eta 2824/36/46 hand sizes

H 150

M 90

S 25

rolex 1530/70 hand sizes

H 130

M 80

S 20

Looks like the minute hand going from .8mm to .9mm would be easy but taking an hour hand from 1.30 to 1.50 might remove too much metal. You would just have to try it on a used hand and see how it goes. I have tried to remove too much metal from hour hands and wound up with only the top of the hand left and the hub gone. Without the hub (tube part of the hand) the hand will not stay straight on the hour wheel and can get knocked down onto the dial etc.

Squeezing a ss hand tube from .26 to .2 might not be too hard but I never tried it. Might crimp it in a couple places but you need to smack it around a little to be sure it will stay put and not drop down onto the minute hand.

"I agree that you may be better off modding the ETA parts to fit gen hands, i know it has been done before but i cant remember who did it..."

You might be able to cut the eta hour wheel tube down to work but the hour wheel is pretty thin...the eta center wheel/cp tube od is about .95/.96mm and the hour wheel od is 1.5mm so there is not much metal in the hour wheel tube wall. You only need to remove .1mm of metal though.

.1mm cut = .2 reduction in od.

Did you check Clarks?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hands-ETA-2824-2-White-Rolex-Tudor-Submariner-/230773244217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bb284139

I don't think these are 'Tudor' hands, rather they are like Tudor hands that fit ETA. It would be great if we could pick up Tudor hands for $14.95, but I don't think it's going to happen. Besides, Tudor isn't sold in the USA, afaik.

its hard to do, the pinions arent just a symmetrical cylinder either, if you look closely enough theyre kind of vase shaped (inverted) and the second hand you will absolutely have to broach, im hoping maybe one day some one will offer replacement parts with these specs, like how they offer different heighted pinions, but not likely.

Have a look at these:

http://www.helenarou.com/6538-gold-bond39s--benz-watch-hand-super-luminova-for65383928242836.html

The only thing that could be and issue is that these are for the 6538 vintage sub, and the minute hand is thinner, but on the other hand they are gilt and superlumed.

I've bought from helenarou half a dozen times without a problem. If you are skeptical.

If it is any consolation, many independent watchsmiths are using aftermarket hands on gen Rolex's they service. It is sort of a fsck you Rolex reponse based on their restrictive parts policy.

The day is approaching when aftermarket hands, crystals, and inserts will NOT be a tell. Rather, it will just be a sign of independent service on an otherwise genuine daily wearer by frugal non WIS owners.

I understand the purist attitude though.

All aftermarket Mercedes-style hands I have seen have the same 3 problems -

1. the center lume section of the hour hand is not long enough

2. the seconds hand is not tapered at the end

3. the edges of all the hands are rounded (the gens have square sides)

If/when these 3 issues are corrected, then aftermarket hands become a viable option for many gens.

I hate to admit that I did this, but here is what I did. I took the eta sweep second and put it on a junk movement and cut both ends off at the tub. Then I filed what was left just a little to smooth it out. Then I removed the post off the bottom of the sweep second on the gen, and then epoxyed it to the eta post. Let it harden and removed it from the old movement. Believe it or not it worked great, and from the top you could not tell. If you have a lathe you should be able to cut the hour and minute tower to fit. Good luck, and please don't tell anyone what I did. LOL

• Like 1

I hate to admit that I did this, but here is what I did. I took the eta sweep second and put it on a junk movement and cut both ends off at the tub. Then I filed what was left just a little to smooth it out. Then I removed the post off the bottom of the sweep second on the gen, and then epoxyed it to the eta post. Let it harden and removed it from the old movement. Believe it or not it worked great, and from the top you could not tell. If you have a lathe you should be able to cut the hour and minute tower to fit. Good luck, and please don't tell anyone what I did. LOL

:tu: Nothing wrong with that. Next time, photo/document it, and post it here.

• 2 months later...