When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why do you guys accept it?

buffedupboy

Well, truth be told I'm new to this whole rep thing. I am more interested actually in doing frankens. Modifying things to look as gen like as possible. My most recent build is a vintage cosmograph and it has definitely left a bitter after taste. Dials and hands arrived all scratched, acrylic was also all scratched up internally, hands didn't fit the movement...... and that's just the beginning of the ordeal.

When I asked the seller about it, the response was "welcome to the world of reps".... Although I am undecided whether to be blaming the seller for such shoddy parts, one thing that did strike me was I would never accept these parts had they been for my own watch brand. So my question is, why do all of you who do mods/ frankens just accept these, since I don't hear many people complaining about it? Is it because of a lack of supply so you take what you can get? or it enhances the trill of the build?

Not sure who your dealing with but mate there's no way I'd put up with that shit!  Pretty sure most of the guys on here would be the same view too  ;)  If you didn't know the parts were used/damaged etc when you bought them I'd be inclined to politely ask for a refund and ship them back whence they came swiftly!

• Like 1

+1

Well on the face of it mate...you should be looking to get some recourse....

That said without the whole story its a hard one to reply to....

Yes the rep world has quirks but getting items misdescribed or missold is not one of them...

Not sure what you are driving at without more info. First off, most of the modders here are trying to build watches with as many genuine parts as possible. For the most part these are used parts. So, you will have to accept wear and tear as a fact of life. Now, if the seller was selling me parts that were supposed to be new or NOS, and they arrived looking like they were run over by a forklift, I would be very unhappy. Good photos before you buy, and good communication are pretty vital to buying watches and watch parts.

• Like 1

Not sure who your dealing with but mate there's no way I'd put up with that [censored]!  Pretty sure most of the guys on here would be the same view too  ;)  If you didn't know the parts were used/damaged etc when you bought them I'd be inclined to politely ask for a refund and ship them back whence they came swiftly!

What he said.

Not sure what you are driving at without more info. First off, most of the modders here are trying to build watches with as many genuine parts as possible. For the most part these are used parts. So, you will have to accept wear and tear as a fact of life. Now, if the seller was selling me parts that were supposed to be new or NOS, and they arrived looking like they were run over by a forklift, I would be very unhappy. Good photos before you buy, and good communication are pretty vital to buying watches and watch parts.

+1

Well, truth be told I'm new to this whole rep thing. I am more interested actually in doing frankens. Modifying things to look as gen like as possible. My most recent build is a vintage cosmograph and it has definitely left a bitter after taste. Dials and hands arrived all scratched, acrylic was also all scratched up internally, hands didn't fit the movement...... and that's just the beginning of the ordeal.

When I asked the seller about it, the response was "welcome to the world of reps".... Although I am undecided whether to be blaming the seller for such shoddy parts, one thing that did strike me was I would never accept these parts had they been for my own watch brand. So my question is, why do all of you who do mods/ frankens just accept these, since I don't hear many people complaining about it? Is it because of a lack of supply so you take what you can get? or it enhances the trill of the build?

I think FxrAndy and Panerai152 summed it up...  If you were buying parts from someone (was this a private seller or a business seller?) and they weren't sold with the description of scratched up, then that's definitely not cool of the seller to do, and definitely not something which builders tolerate, unless specific flaws were described and okayed prior to sale...  I hope you manage to get things fixed up :good::drinks:

I'm not in the name names business. I am trying to believe that people in general are not evil, but heck I still have the feeling that I got fleeced. Especially after the last round of messages we have exchanged. Here is the history:

Purchased a caseset, dial and handset suitable for an A7750. Received:

1) Case with scratched acrylic.

2) Dial with scratched subdial.

3) Hands scratched, and too loose for movement. Centre seconds had to be broached so aggressively that I don't think it's going to stay crimped and anymore and the tube would crack.

4) Crown that does not fit the stem.

So I have, polished the acrylic and buffed out the scratched (they were internal), painted the scratches off the hands the best I can, broached the hands. But the worse now being that the crown still doesn't fit and there is nothing I can do about that. I purchased off the for sale forum here, it was advertised as new. When I approached the seller about these issues, all I received was, "its $200.00 not $2000.00 worth of Phong case. Sorry but your clearly
deluded about the World of Rep parts. Yes it can be very frudtraiting but that is what's involved when you're trying to create a $35,000.00 with $200.00" (his words not mine).

My stand has always been, I can close my eyes and pretend that scratches/ loose/ poor fitting is all part of the 'charm' of buying parts for reps, but parts that I paid money for that do not EVEN FIT and are obviously not what they were advertised to be, then being told well, this is what you get for paying peanuts, you get monkeys just takes the cake.

Holy fawk, now I realise that the bezel markings don't line up with the dial. So either the markings are wrong or the dial is not printed correctly. And from a brief examination, it's the bezel that is etched wrongly.... wtf. So it seems like I got sent defective/ rejected parts. The last communication I had with the seller was the typical "only you have this problem" and "no one else has ever complained".

Why do I not name him, and why am I protecting the seller? I don't know, I'm starting to feel that I should so he does not scam others on this forum.

• Like 1

Holy fawk, now I realise that the bezel markings don't line up with the dial. So either the markings are wrong or the dial is not printed correctly. And from a brief examination, it's the bezel that is etched wrongly.... wtf. So it seems like I got sent defective/ rejected parts. The last communication I had with the seller was the typical "only you have this problem" and "no one else has ever complained".   Why do I not name him, and why am I protecting the seller? I don't know, I'm starting to feel that I should so he does not scam others on this forum.
Name him. Give him the opportunity to defend himself.

Seller is Denimhead, introduced himself as the european/ UK agent for DW parts...... nothing to hide, not trying to pick a fight, he can come on here and defend himself if he wants but I doubt he will, if called upon I'll show pics, now I'm just trying to get it working, off to find myself a crown that fits.

So OP did you buy off Denimhead or off David through DH?

I know David has offered DH up as his EU base contact and forwarder...

Or was this a private deal?

Post up the sales link now please :)

Well i guess i should now respond to this post. As some of you may know I was acting as the EU Distributor for DW's watches and parts up till the end of last year. But due to a diference of opinions regarding QC on the complete watches I decieded to step down from the arrangement.

I have therefore been selling off a few remaining case sets and dial at a discounted price on the forum. After happily taking time out to communicate and give my honest opinion on the pros and cons of building a DW based Daytona to a new comer to this area of Reps (over 25 emails) The Gentleman in question bought an un-used case set and dial with hand set from me at a very heavily discounted price. No profit on my part thats for sure.

All i can say is read my Feedback on here. And then you can come to your own conclusions. Bottom line is $200.00 worth of DW parts may not get you to your dream 6238, a little more investment may need to be put in the mix.  

Thanks DH

No........your crap came from DW. DH made a deal with DW to be his alter ego in UK/EU. DH got burnt koz he gets crap from DW. DH's only fault here is that he did not do his own QC! I went thru this

same crap with him, but he was fast to make amends and now he severed his ties with DW. 

If you had made DH aware of your problems upon receipt of the goods, he would have made it right. You don't accept $hit like these........

Nice to see you reply mate.. :)

So the buyer knew the parts were damaged from your discussions...?  ( I am not sure if you are implying that or I am just inferring it? )

If so that undermines the complaint OP...

I have also seen the crap David used to send out that F mentions.....

Edited by PeteM