When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 Finally Finished

omgiv

I have so many projects going on right now that I thought I would never finish any of them.  Well, I finally finished my 5513 project today.  This one has been in the works for over a year and has been mostly complete for about 5 months.  I couldn't quite get the movement running like I wanted, so I sent it to a professional.  After about 5 months, the verdict was that it just wasn't going to cut it.  I was able to find another movement for a reasonable price, so I snatched it up.  I serviced it myself and was able to get it running under COSC standards.  I cased it up today and pressure tested it to 10 atm (it passed).  The last thing to do was to take some decent pictures to share with you guys.  So....here she is.  I am really happy with the way it turned out.  The only thing that isn't 100% the way I wanted is the dial.  I couldn't find a luminova T<25 dial.  If I find one sometime, I might swap it out.  I was going for that fresh from service look.  I love the vintage domed crystal but appreciate lume that glows.  Anyway, here are the pictures and the build list.  

Midcase: Phong

Caseback: Genuine

Movement: 26 Jewel Hacking 1520

Crystal: Genuine T19

Crystal Retaning Ring: MBW

Bezel Spring: MBW

Bezel: NOS Genuine

Bezel Insert: Genuine

Dial: Genuine Luminova Service

Hands: Genuine Luminova

Tiube: Casker

Crown: Genuine 703

Bracelet: Genuine 93150 with 580 Endlinks

Thanks to all of those that helped make this project complete and a success (you know who you are)

IMG_0656_zps6d59c4cc.jpg

IMG_1121_zps2a548645.jpg

IMG_0655_zpsc0d3f032.jpg

IMG_0658_zps3bb88563.jpg

IMG_0671_zpsdad72736.jpg

IMG_0665_zps1ac9d0b7.jpg

IMG_0666_zps7683b348.jpg

IMG_0667_zpsa26e0d11.jpg

IMG_0661_zps2f3a2065.jpg

IMG_0662_zps9fabf118.jpg

IMG_1158_zps47f68580.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the comments. The hands, as Alligoat said, are genuine luminova.

I knew someone would ask how much the project cost and how it compared to a gen. I must say that I enjoy the search and ability to put this together myself. I know that it isn't 100% genuine but I get a much greater satisfaction looking at it on my wrist than if I bought it over at VRF. That being said, here is the price breakdown.

Midcase: $700

Caseback: $400

Crystal: I had it in my parts drawer

Crystal Retaining Ring: Parts drawer

Bezel and Insert: $500

Dial and Hands: $550

Tube: $25

Crown: $150

Bracelet: Taken from my 1665

Movement: $600 (I was able to trade some spare parts in to bring the cost down)

Total: $3025

I know that the bracelet would have brought the price up substantially but I am reworking my 1665 and took it from that until the time comes. I probably could have gotten a genuine for a little more than what I have in it, but it wouldn't be what I want. I had a 5513 back in 2008 that I paid almost $4500 before I sent it to RSC. The price for the service was almost $1500 and that included a new bracelet, dial, hands, insert, crystal, tube, and crown. I almost have to take the price off of the table when it comes to projects like these. Does that make sense?

Wow, wonderful build! Your projects always are a true inspiration to me. Did you run into problems fitting the gen bezel onto the MBW retaining ring? I bought a complete bezel from RSC recently, but somehow it doesn't snap onto the retaining ring, it's too tight. :( At least I can't get it on with my hands and I'm afraid to damage the bezel ring, if I press any harder. Did you have to sand the retaining ring down a little?

Thanks so much for the comments. The hands, as Alligoat said, are genuine luminova.

I knew someone would ask how much the project cost and how it compared to a gen. I must say that I enjoy the search and ability to put this together myself. I know that it isn't 100% genuine but I get a much greater satisfaction looking at it on my wrist than if I bought it over at VRF. That being said, here is the price breakdown.

Midcase: $700

Caseback: $400

Crystal: I had it in my parts drawer

Crystal Retaining Ring: Parts drawer

Bezel and Insert: $500

Dial and Hands: $550

Tube: $25

Crown: $150

Bracelet: Taken from my 1665

Movement: $600 (I was able to trade some spare parts in to bring the cost down)

Total: $3025

I know that the bracelet would have brought the price up substantially but I am reworking my 1665 and took it from that until the time comes. I probably could have gotten a genuine for a little more than what I have in it, but it wouldn't be what I want. I had a 5513 back in 2008 that I paid almost $4500 before I sent it to RSC. The price for the service was almost $1500 and that included a new bracelet, dial, hands, insert, crystal, tube, and crown. I almost have to take the price off of the table when it comes to projects like these. Does that make sense?

There is one on VRF that was sold today for the same price! 

Thanks to all for the positive comments!  They are much appreciated!!!!  The genuine bezel snapped perfectly onto my MBW retaining rings.  I had two but one was too large for the crystal (beginner mistake :) ).  I had bought a "genuine" retaining ring but it would not fit.  After buying a new NOS bezel for my 1680 project and it not fitting, I decided that what I bought as a genuine retaining ring was not.  It may be a genuine Rolex, but just not for a 5513.  I had thought it may be for a 1675 but couldn't get confirmation.  I have seen a number of genuine parts being sold as spares and always wonder if they are in fact genuine.  The only true way to know is if you open it yourself.  Thanks again!!!!  

Edited by omgiv

• 5 months later...