When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your all clear to land...my PAN AM 6542 build...

chiman12

I finally received the last part that I need to complete my 6542 build.  I procrastinated for some time getting a GMT drive wheel for the movement I used in my 6542 build.  I can finally introduce my build and an interesting one it is!

DSCN1904.jpg

I've been following the great 6542 builds of JoeyB and freddy333 and decided to use a modern movement...a 2893-2.  Sure the beat is wrong, but parts are plentiful...and no...I would not attempt to use a Zodiac 75B for this GMT build.

DSCN1902.jpg

Now the interesting part of the build.  Nice and thin case...no not a silix...not even Nathalie or Phong...It is an aftermarket Tudor 7924 case.  This case was completely wrong for a 7924 build, but perfect for a 6542 build!

DSCN1908.jpg

I did use a gen crown...so is it considered as a franken build?

DSCN1905.jpg

The 116 crystal is aftermarket and I really like the sloped edge of the crystal and fit the profile of the bezel perfectly, creating a single sloped line.

DSCN1906.jpg

I sourced my bezel assembly and insert (sorry Joey) from Nathalie.  I had to modify the case a bit to get a perfect fit for the bezel.

DSCN1907.jpg

And the completed watch with a Yuki 7206 bracelet

DSCN1909.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a 747 Pan Am model available, so I had to use an airline with similar colors.  Since I fly with them a lot...

DSCN1910.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

Wow awesome Chi, you always build the coolest watches!

What happened to your Zodiac movement Cornino? :)

M...it blewed up...blewed up good...couldn't find the parts, so went with a 2836 GMT movement

Excellent :tu:

A few builder questions.

With the 2893, how was the stem alignment?  Did you need a custom mounting ring?  What hands fit the 2893?

Thanks!

yes...there has to be modifications involved...I had to grind the Silty movement ring down, in addition to the back side of the dial to reduce the overall height.

Great Build, Chiman!

Allow me to propose you an idea about an addition to the back case ;)

6998.png

(not my parts... though)

NICE!  I just might consider that!

Very nice Chiman, i could probably make you a very nice Roulette datewheel for your 2893 if you interested

Cheers

P.

Thanks P...I'll PM you...

Thanks once again guys!

Beautiful build chi!
Where did you source that tudor case its spot on!

I bought it as a slim cased 7922, but with the rehaut opening being 27mm, proper sub dials wouldn't fit.  I eventually binned the whole watch and moved the dial to different builds.  I was actually going to sell the case set, but looked at the side profile of the case and said to myself...this case has a great profile for a 6542 build!  An interesting note is that the case will fit a 390 movement, which would indicate that a Rolex 1065 movement may fit!