When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

EU Based Case Re-Engraving Services- Any interest?

denimhead

Good Morning Gentlemen,

I'm dipping my toe in the water on this one, I have access to a friends Precision Engineering workshop here in Sheffield.

If this may be of interest to any of the members on the forum I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback. At the moment, as far as I'm aware of Phong and Minh are the only real contenders in terms of offering credible close to Gen re-engravings in terms of Vintage Rolex and charge a whopping $300.00 plus shipping for both lugs. I know Yuki offers an engraving service too but not great in terms of finish in my humble opinion. I'm UK based but would be happy to service all International Customers.

Let me know what you think

Cheers DH

I think engraving service in EU will be a great idea !

But will you be able to erase old engraving with a good finish in case of a re-engraving ? I'm talking about re-engraving between the lugs, and also the back-case. I think it needs specific tools to get the same like gen finish.

Talking about the engraving for the outer back-case, any plans about it ? (COMEX, MilSub, etc.)

Also, all the Rolex models have different kind of engraving in terms of size, fonts, padding, placement, etching depth, etc. Even the Phong of Minh work are not good for some models (I think about the bad engraving on my 1665 done by Phong).

I think there is a lot of work to make a "database" of the correct engraving for each vintage Rolex model... It's not only a question of having the right engineering machine

R.

There's a massive market for this sort of work at the right money mate, I for one would love to get my builds all spot on to spec and I'm sure plenty of others out there  :)  as SS said what can be done?

I think engraving service in EU will be a great idea !

But will you be able to erase old engraving with a good finish in case of a re-engraving ? I'm talking about re-engraving between the lugs, and also the back-case. I think it needs specific tools to get the same like gen finish.

Talking about the engraving for the outer back-case, any plans about it ? (COMEX, MilSub, etc.)

Also, all the Rolex models have different kind of engraving in terms of size, fonts, padding, placement, etching depth, etc. Even the Phong of Minh work are not good for some models (I think about the bad engraving on my 1665 done by Phong).

I think there is a lot of work to make a "database" of the correct engraving for each vintage Rolex model... It's not only a question of having the right engineering machine

R.

Yep your right R,

Unless you own of of the original Pantograph Machines and are doing each case by hand then nothing will be exactly the same of have the Random feel of Gen engravings. What I'm thinking is something very close to what Phong currently offers but a sensible price. I have actually been collating info for a while now in terms of the differences with regards to the variations on the numeral and letter fonts,styles and placements.My idea will be to work on some protypes and let you guys be the judges on what you see. We have some real experts here on the forum so it should be an interesting project.

DH

Over the years, I have seen many macro photo's on Vrf of serials/ref numbers...with people asking questions. Yes, there are experts that know the different fonts etc.

Eta: I am not trying to be negative at all. Heck yes I'm interested, I would love my watches to be more accurate, and at a better price. I look forward denim to seeing what you come up with :)

More info on your capabilities with this machinery please :)

Still in conversations with my friendin terms of what can be acheived, but I realise that ideally i need to be able to offer - 

1. Remove existing engravings,laser etchings etc properly back to factory finish

2. Offer correct period engravings across a number of Vintage Rolex sports models(That's my thing)

3. Ideally be able to offer casebacks like the 1665

My idea is really to offer NOS looking work, or if you want it Aged then i'm confident i can also do this nicely

DH

• Like 2

Still in conversations with my friendin terms of what can be acheived, but I realise that ideally i need to be able to offer - 

1. Remove existing engravings,laser etchings etc properly back to factory finish

2. Offer correct period engravings across a number of Vintage Rolex sports models(That's my thing)

My idea is really to offer NOS looking work, or if you want it Aged then i'm confident i can also do this nicely

DH

Yes, yes, and yes! I've been collecting a bunch of macros for a similar project - give me a shout if you'd like to collaborate on creating these fonts :D

DH

Thanks.