When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

We Now Have Our Chance....

Richard Tracy

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this TRC thread in any relation to this thread?:

http://www.replicacollector.com/members/in...c=27693&hl=

It looks quite similar to the middle one (blue IWC Cousteau) at the top of this page. If it's not the same watchmaker doing both, what model other than the IWC are more people leaning toward?

I think we need to look at this from a dealer's perspective with regards to popularity in sales.

Am I wrong in assuming that it starts with how many know about the brand, or the make of the

watch we select ?

Size has also to play a part,..

Some of us love 44mm watches, some 40, but what is the most popular and user friendly ?

We also need to consider the thickness of the piece.

What are the percentages of those who enjoy a 44mm piece that will absolutely not wear a 40

to 42mm, and vice versa ?

Does a Dress, or Sports model hold the most potential ?

Am I clear that the SeaHawk, Blancpain 50 Fathoms..the Vintage 300m are three of our major

suggestions. ?

What other sersious contenders am I missing ?

Please chime in again, with the above thoughts

in mind or add some flesh onto the guidelines that I am proposing.... :g:

how about this one here (also available without a date):

159627-12572.jpg

Price is not too high, watch looks great IMO

without date:

159627-12573.jpg

the second one could be perfectly done with a 6497 and the brdiges could be modded nicely

ZZZZZZZZ. They last thing we need is another dressy watch. Have you ever noticed how many of these end up for sale because they get no wrist time?? Pateks, Glashuette, A Langes, Jaegers, etc----They are nice, but kind of boring. Besides, I don't know too many people who can pull off wearing $15,000 watches.

the real question is :

why a replica maker should do a replica that will be sold only in a few number of pieces?

why people don't understand that the best request is a request that give to the replica maker also a new opportunity for business?

all we ...all you must think that only few people will buy a not usual replica.... a not famous watch...

so why not a vintage rolex like the first gmt of ever with bakelite bezel ? the reference 6542?

it's really unusual .... in the PAN AM version it's a Grail .....

be realistic .... why a replica maker do replica ? to do business.....

159632-12565.jpg

159632-12566.jpg

159632-12567.jpg

159632-12568.jpg

159632-12569.jpg

159632-12570.jpg

159632-12571.jpg

I'll ask again since I didn't see an answer to it.

Is the 4 oclock crown on the GP Seahawk a movementbased deal killer? Can any of the mentioned movements be modified?

Not that another IWC isn't welcome, but there's such a paucity of GP replicas I'd love to see one well done well.

Shouldn't be a problem with the crown position, just rotate the movement so the stem is at the 4 o'clock position.

Real titanium on this and it'll be great.

Use the same movement as the PAM027/8 power reserves, and we have exactly what is needed for this watch :yeah:

I won't be bothering purchasing any Omegas (as much as I like them, but with 7 already and a possible look at the 45mm PO... and other great ones I dont have like the Double Eagle, etc) or rlx's.

As much as I like IWC it is the same story there... there are other manufacturers making some more so that is well covered there.

The GP Seahawk is lovely :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Where's thomasng when you need him ? I think he's handled the genuine a lot and will tell you how great it is B)

the real question is :

why a replica maker should do a replica that will be sold only in a few number of pieces?

why people don't understand that the best request is a request that give to the replica maker also a new opportunity for business?

all we ...all you must think that only few people will buy a not usual replica.... a not famous watch...

so why not a vintage rolex like the first gmt of ever with bakelite bezel ? the reference 6542?

it's really unusual .... in the PAN AM version it's a Grail .....

be realistic .... why a replica maker do replica ? to do business.....

Klingsor - I love these GMT watches but have never bought a rep RLX or Omega GMT as they have to have modified ETA movements (in my eyes reliability is a question) to function like the real thing (ie. independently adjustable HOUR hand not GMT hand).

ETA 2893 movement does not give a very useful GMT functionality for the traveller (I've posted about this a long time ago if anyone cares to search) and besides is not how the real thing works.

Also, wouldnt these cost a lot of money for Silix to buy and then tear apart and rep ?

I don't know about everyone else, but this would not have me make a first RLX GMT rep purchase... (the medical chrono was a much better one!)

Klingsor - I love these GMT watches but have never bought a rep RLX or Omega GMT as they have to have modified ETA movements (in my eyes reliability is a question) to function like the real thing (ie. independently adjustable HOUR hand not GMT hand).

ETA 2893 movement does not give a very useful GMT functionality for the traveller (I've posted about this a long time ago if anyone cares to search) and besides is not how the real thing works.

Also, wouldnt these cost a lot of money for Silix to buy and then tear apart and rep ?

I don't know about everyone else, but this would not have me make a first RLX GMT rep purchase... (the medical chrono was a much better one!)

medical chrono is an easy upgradable dream to use a val 23 with an engraved bridge...

6542 could be a great rep ... i will be glad also only to have a complete case with dial and hands without movement...

....yes a 2893 cost a lot....... but let start to ask silix to take vintage subs new time...

i have some project running as you can immagine... one is a 6542 one 6541... but without silix case without crown guards....

it's unbelievable that silix has no more vintage case for subs....

ZZZZZZZZ. They last thing we need is another dressy watch. Have you ever noticed how many of these end up for sale because they get no wrist time?? Pateks, Glashuette, A Langes, Jaegers, etc----They are nice, but kind of boring. Besides, I don't know too many people who can pull off wearing $15,000 watches.

Why would they wanna rep watches that can be bought genuine for under 1 grand? Theres no logic behind this.

Most Replicated watches cost between 5 and 20k brand new. Or do you think the fiddy or the 1938 pams are sold at wal mart for a dime??

Whats the problem with a dress watch? Ok, its not good watch if you want to draw attention to yourself, because they barely get noticed by others (unlike an "OH-MY-HOLY-LORD-IS-THAT-BIG"-monster)

Btw. have you ever noticed how many pams end up for sale?

Why would they wanna rep watches that can be bought genuine for under 1 grand? Theres no logic behind this.

Most Replicated watches cost between 5 and 20k brand new. Or do you think the fiddy or the 1938 pams are sold at wal mart for a dime??

Whats the problem with a dress watch? Ok, its not good watch if you want to draw attention to yourself, because they barely get noticed by others (unlike an "OH-MY-HOLY-LORD-IS-THAT-BIG"-monster)

AMEN TO THAT!!! Well said!

Maybe I was a little hard on dress watches. I guess I've just found that I like to wear my watches and dress watches don't really stand up like a good sport or dive watch. The only dress watch I've worn that has ever done anything for me is this one. The Jaeger Le Coultre Master Grand Réveil. I tried on the pink gold version while travelling in Venice. Beautiful! Not too thin either.

I agree that reps of $1000-$2000 watches are pointless. I don't think I'd ever buy an Oris or Sinn rep. I even have trouble buying into Omega reps. The real thing is not out of reach for most rep collectors.

post-420-1165020837_thumb.jpg

post-420-1165020860_thumb.jpg

Blancpain 50th Anniversary 50 Fathoms would certainly be my first choice, even thought the first thing I'd do would be dump the strap thing they come with.

The Ulysse Nardin Marine Diver is a beauty but I'm not sure wjhat movement it uses and if it could be done easily.

The date version of the vintage Omega Seamaster 300 could easily be done and there seem to be a few "dodgy" ones out there anyway.

One thing I really don't understand is why there isn't a 1:1 of the Rolex Submariner or Sea-Dweller available. As a reply to the comment about how wearing a real one and being asked all the time is it a fake etc etc etc. I have both a gen and a rep and could tell the difference very easily. I've never been asked if either was real or fake. Before I got the gen I thought it would bother me knowing there were so many fakes about that people may assume mine was a fake too. However, once I got the real thing, it never bothered me at all. I knew it was real, that's all that mattered. It actually bothered me more wearing the rep knowing it was so imperfect.

Cheepo

Ok, I'm going to state my case slightly more strongly than before.

159794-12542.jpg159794-12543.jpg

Why should we choose this watch over all the others?

The IWC Aquatimer is a simple, yet elegant design. It can use a 2824 or 2836 movement making it a cheap, reliable option. The case is unique with an inner bezel that's controlled by a crown on the outside which gives it an unusual edge that isn't too difficult to reproduce with a gen version and CNC-based system. With a simple change of material (SS to Ti) and dial, it becomes the Aquatimer 2000, a more striking yellow-hinted design. Additionally, the bracelet is already available on the IWC GST models, meaning we know it can be reproduced without worry. With the choice of rubber or steel, this watch can go from wet suit to Armani suit with a simple strap change.

With one not-too expensive initial purchase, two different watches can be generated on the CNC, either of which would be a welcome addition to many people's collection.

My flag is firmly planted in support of this extraordinarily clinical yet beautiful design.

i think the best part about this one (besides it's awesome!) is so many different model watches can be made from it. Ti, SS, yellow,white, rubber, plus in the future a chrono version wouldn't be hard to make from the same case using the 28k 7750. this i believe would make the most $$$ for jay.