When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buy one gen or all your heroes in rep?

dusk

I'm not willy waiving or being flash (I'm faaaar from flash!) but I've been given an unexpected bonus at work and having been a watch person since I was at junior school I'd like to put $8-$10k into 'me' things including watches (selfish I know)

I'm torn between buying a single gen or a bunch of rep pieces that I admire and having fun with them.

I have a bk sub ceramic and an LV on the way so I was thinking of a gmt 2 pepsi, Pam, ap diver and pumpkin LM seamaster. Maybe also super reps if they came up

Alternatively I would probably plump for a used seamaster pumpkin or submariner 50th anniversary.

Perhaps get the reps and see which suits me for 12 months then sell to fund a gen?

I currently can't decide so can anyone help that's been in the same boat?

Well I'm posting on a rep forum so I'm kind of feeling CD's answer at the moment! If I buy a gen and it doesn't agree with me I'll have the problem of resale. If I buy a few used reps I'll have a decent exit strategy. Still torn but leaning towards the rep option! :)

Bro, all due respect, but seems to be an easy answer here.

No gen is worth what they are asking for.  Like Jkay said on another thread, the Rolex sub is a great $500 watch.  You are paying thousands extra for the name brand cache.

You can purchase many high-quality reps and even modded out out reps for the price of a gen sub or PO. 

JMHO, it's your money bro!

Congrats on the bonus too, btw!

Bro, all due respect, but seems to be an easy answer here.

No gen is worth what they are asking for.  Like Jkay said on another thread, the Rolex sub is a great $500 watch.  You are paying thousands extra for the name brand cache.

You can purchase many high-quality reps and even modded out out reps for the price of a gen sub or PO. 

JMHO, it's your money bro!

Congrats on the bonus too, btw!

I've bought one cartier santos 100 tonight and I'm about to pull the trigger on a Pam so your advice has been duly heeded buddy!reps all the way! If I buy smart I should be able to get back a good percent of my outlay and avoid over inflated prices like you say.

Many thanks,

Dusk :)

I like the idea of a few reps of the ones you like. Then if you really love one of them, go gen later. Easier to try a bunch of reps 1st. Plus you'll have a lot of fun along with way and learn Tons about watches.

Dave...

So I now have a pam111i on distressed leather strap, cartier santos 100 and sub 16619LV on the way. Now for a nice stand! Will be sure to update with pics in due course! And yes, they are reps :) go for it simstre it makes perfect sense :D

Peace,

Dusk

The problem with gens is that even if You are wishing it for Years once it´s on the wrist it´s either not what was expected or the enthusiasm wears off after You "know" the watch - or You love it forever but have just one.

I would go the super-rep-route, see which rep-models other members here are totally enthusiastic about and choose from those, than try them out and wear them for some months to decide. The gen-money will also soon be spent this way..... Plus in former times I was often afraid of damaging/ loosing the gen and now I can always wear whatever I want, expensive or vintage, whatever, it´s replaceable. And lucky enough they where all carefully chosen and work like a charm, no damage yet.

Since you will be buying with CA$H...I can tell you where to find some of the lowest prices on genuine watches. Believe it or not...

Gun shows and hot rod car shows.

Why?

Because gun and car guys often take high $$ watches in on trades or buy them from gun and car nuts needing $$ (mostly rolex). They do not have much in them and do not care about them.

NAWCC etc watch and jewelry shows on the last day. Many of these guys are stuck with the watches and will sometimes blow them out for CA$H just before they go back home.

Pawn shops at the end of the month. Keep a check on what they have on display and if a watch has been out for over 60 days, they might cut a deal on it close to the end of the month because this is when they 'tally up' their sales.

Just for fun, see if you can figure out their price code. Many still use the old HONESTBUCK price code with letters for numbers.

Always remember...a deal is where you find it.

Put a small ad in the local paper 'Buying rolex watches', use a burner phone for communication and meet sellers at your bank and offer about one third to one half regular retail price. Many people trying to sell high $$ watches end up selling them to a pawn shop and losing their azz but they will act like they do not need the money when you talk to them because they do not want you to know they are desperate. Act like you are low on $$ too but still want a watch and might have just enough in the bank to buy their watch.

Draw the $$ out of your account and pay for the watch in the bank to discourage robbery.

You have to know what is what because three fourths of the watches will be fake.

Watch Buyer Rule #1...Nobody needs an expensive watch...especially the guy trying to sell the watch.

...and the guy buying the watch.

WBR #2...Never buy an expensive watch unless it feels like you stole it.   :pimp:

Big $$ losers:

Dope

Cars

Boats

Horses

Houses

Jewelry

Watches

Whiskey

Gamblin'

Wild Wimmen

• Like 1

I have one GEN - Breitling Chrono Evo, which I bought some 8 years ago now and had worn it heavily until I joined the REP world.   It does hold a special place in my collection though.

I believe it depends on three aspects. 

1) Grail material. Have you been lusting after a particular watch for quite some time? Have you tried modding one of your reps to a certain degree of perfection, yet the tiny flaws still matter to you, even if no one else notices?

2) How much you are into the technical aspects of watchmaking. Most higher end gens have in-house movements. Besides their technical merits to some of us they are simply more appealing than your average run-of-the-mill ETA or Asian clone movement.  

3) Craftsmanship. Are you willing to pay extensive amounts for a slightly superior fit, feel and finish?

If at least one of these aspects is one you can't live without, you're probably better off with the gen. Or, for that matter, if the watch in question is ridiculously expensive/ unobtainable a gen powered franken / genstein. Many of us start out with standard reps, move on the higher end frankens and in the end are only satisfied by gens. We tend to be obsessed with the small details normal owners don't even notice... well, at least I know I am  ;).  

Quite honestly, gen or rep, once you have owned it for awhile, the novelty wears off.  That's just the way it is with material things am I right?

You can finally acquire the watch you always wanted, the car you always wanted, the house you always wanted, even the woman you always wanted, and after a few months/years, you want something else. 

With watches, I know a very wealthy man who owns hundreds of gens, and he is always on the prowl for more.  That taught me a valuable lesson, that no matter what kind of watch I get, I will always want something else.

So why waste crazy money on gens, when you can spend a fraction of the price on reps, and not feel so bad when you get tired of them!

Finally, if you lose a gen, or damage it, you will feel HORRIBLE.  If the same thing happens to a rep, not that big a deal, just order another from Trusty, Toro, etc. . .

• Like 2

At this moment I've got about 2 gens for every rep I own. The gens range from £100 to £2250, most are £500 ish which is the same as a "super rep" + postage + half a service.

And the last two "super reps" I've bought have been far from "super" - the BB bezel is wobbly and the Pam 389 has just been fixed, and the case (inside) and faux P9000 plate are horrid. Don't get any of that with gens.

As to the pleasure we get from gens (or reps) wearing off, that only happens if it's not the right watch. I've got a few that I still love wearing, maybe about 20% of my collection - the rest are nice to switch to now and then. (after 1.5 years, so asking me after 15 years might be completely different answer :) )

Buy a BP FF or wait for one of the new Tudor Pelagos examples to come out.

Then buy a project BMW (auto or motorcycle!) or an old American truck, an old Porsche, a boat, something fun...

or if moving vehicles aren't your thing, take a big trip or two.

wear that FF or new Tudor in the Caribbean, in the south of France, in the back of an old Landie in Africa, in a US national park etc...

IOTW, gens aren't worth it, unless said gen cost 500quid.

Some really great advice and tips on here. I think I'm going to stick with the reps and have a string of one night stands until I find the right girl for me :)

I'm not going to buy all at once either (although I've bought 6 reps this month) and find the 'sorted' examples on p2p as suggested from now

Thanks all for this great advice and input!!

Dusk

• Like 2

Had same dilemma. Did a consulting gig for a little side cash for a new gen sub c. Always had one gen Rolex to wear then would trade it in every few years. So stuck wearing same watch every day or one of my old movodos or similar. Found this forum and decided to buy a bunch a reps. Bought about a dozen in last 5 months. Mostly m2m and a TC and couple BK's. Have a nice Franken 16750 build going now and need to build a vintage big crown yet just not sure which model. Super happy with that decision. Now tough decision of the day is which watch to wear....found a great watch smith here on the forum which has helped tremendously as we know the reps are not as reliable, but once he squares them up they are good to go. Wife looks at all the watches and keeps asking "haven't you spent your watch fund yet?" My response, "no only about half of it". Love the hobby and the forum. Happy shopping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1