When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I am a Watch Collector

Guest kingfrog

Guest kingfrog

It doesn't matter what brand.    I have one genuine Rolex because if I am going to have ONE iconic watch I want the one that offers the most value. A Genuine Rolex does just that. I have one rep I like and that is the Hulblot. When I find a Homage of that i will buy it.  I also collect Good Japanese brands Like Seiko and Citizen and other Homage watches. 

My favorite new place to shop right now are Chinese unusual watches from AliExpress  I ordered eight watches today for $120 LOL .These watches range from $3 to $90. These are the same movements used in Chinese made Armitron type  watches found at the Wal Marts and discount stores for $15 and I suspect used in many replica watches. There are some really unusual watches on that site as well. I do try to stick with quartz though, but won't pass up an unusual automatic for a few bucks.

http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/watches-men.html?ltype=wholesale&d=y&origin=y&SearchText=watches+men&initiative_id=AS_20150107165924&isViewCP=y&catId=0

I decided I don't need  to spend any more money on high dollar Gens and only on very specific Reps that are well under the radar and particularly unusual.

Right now I am bidding on this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201255011270?_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I don't know if it is a Homage I just like the watch,,,,AliExpress has it for $90. Look great with a blue leather band

$_1.JPG

How do you define your watch interests? Reps only? All watches, Gens only.....?

Look at this guy for $3

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/New-Men-s-Stylish-Skeleton-Dial-Faux-Leather-Analog-Wrist-Watch/1883361761.html#

New-wrist-watch-men-Stylish-Skeleton-Dia

Or a watch with a built in lighter LOL That is collectible to me LOL

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-New-2014-Military-Lighter-Watch-Novelty-Man-Quartz-Sports-Refillable-Butane-Gas-Cigarette-Cigar/1655330965.html

Free-shipping-New-2014-Military-Lighter-

Edited by kingfrog

You are an interesting fellow and can't seem to make your mind up as to whether you are going to be a "real" person and buy only gens, or join the rest of us and be "fake".

Your statement:

"I decided I don't need  to spend any more money on high dollar Gens and only on very specific Reps that are well under the radar and particularly unusual."

You are a piece of work. FFS

• Like 3

On the $3 to $15 usd ones most probably the hands and crown will really fall off and the dial will start to peel after a few days. Totally unlike Rolex.

The Parnis actually might work. You could well visit the Jacksontse site, he doesn´t sell reps, only homages and for the price very acceptable ones.

Guest kingfrog

On the $3 to $15 usd ones most probably the hands and crown will really fall off and the dial will start to peel after a few days. Totally unlike Rolex.

The Parnis actually might work. You could well visit the Jacksontse site, he doesn´t sell reps, only homages and for the price very acceptable ones.

Thanks. I prefer Homages to Replicas. Replicas have a purpose for me. Test Drive before spending the big money, Homages are for those times I want the gen but don't want to spend gen money. Reps can be fun but the prices can by an awful nice Citizen Seiko and $700 is crazy to spend on a replica anything IMO. I will spend $200 or less on a rep because it will end up not being worn when replaced by a Homage or gen.

Their homage Panerais are very nice. 

Edited by kingfrog

To each his own!! :partytime: For the life of me, I cannot understand what you (kingfrog) are doing here. You don't like reps, except the dirt cheap ones that you buy to compare to the gen version, which in itself is a stretch, because while they may be similar, they are usually lacking in a fair number of areas. Things like fit and finish, lume, movement, etc. are going to be of lower quality than the gen. having said that, I'm talking about reps of mid to high end gens. If you are comparing reps to some of the el cheapo gens that you mention, then probably pretty similar. In this day and age, I believe that you are going to have to get into the over 700-800 USD category to find really decent watches. Costs of materials, movements, labor to assemble,  distribution, etc. have all gone up in the past few years. 8-10 years ago, I was buying some really nicer "boutique" brands for 500-600 USD, not any more, the same brands are now close to or over 1k. If you are looking for homages watches or inexpensive genuine brands, I would suggest that you go over to one of the homage forums, some of the forums for less expensive watches and some of the boutique brands which would certainly serve you better. I'm sure you could go over to any one of these forums and be and instant celebrity, you being a "watch collector" and all that!! ;)

For the test purpose I don't see any difference between a wannabe copied design homage and a rep. Actually I find the so called homages much worse than the reps... But that's just me.

+1 :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Guest kingfrog

So here you all are ,the   bottom feeders of the watch collecting  barrel   Those who buy and wear fake (oops "um replica" )watches....as a "hobby"

ON ANY legitimate watch hobby site  The  cleaned up PC name: "Replica" is exchanged for what they really are... counterfeit. Many do not allow even the mention  of them in any serious or otherwise context. . Step into a legitimate watch forum and start spouting about your "rep AP you built for $4000" Feel the ridicule and ultimately the ban hammer in a legitimate watch collecting forum

Collecting Casios is met with far more respect than collecting Chinese counterfeit watches.  

Who are you guys kidding? Perhaps yourselves. You live in this little counterfeit watch vacuum on ever changing closing and opening  websites, and pat each other's back for the latest best noob of a watch, the real thing, you have no hope of ever affording,...

Perhaps you really believe collecting and wearing and projecting  that which you cannot afford is an "honorable" "hobby".  Lets see...ummmm  who can spend $4000  to make a copy of a  $14000 watch..Stupid is stupid...or spend $700 for a Chinese fake  likely assembled on the top of a sandwich,...If you truly think this is an honorable "hobby", It is not me that is delusional. You guy are the ones the Chinese are snickering at as they sneaky raise prices for phony watches to $700+ many whose real thing is at least water resistant while fake aqua, Submariner Speed Masters are not..for $300+ LOL 

Enjoy your fake lives in your fake sandbox. I don't need this site, Just a bunch of poor boys trying to project an image of men most can only dream of. 

Edited by kingfrog

So here you all are ,the   bottom feeders of the watch collecting  barrel   Those who buy and wear fake (oops "um replica" )watches....as a "hobby"

ON ANY legitimate watch hobby site  The  cleaned up PC name: "Replica" is exchanged for what they really are... counterfeit. Many do not allow even the mention  of them in any serious or otherwise context. . Step into a legitimate watch forum and start spouting about your "rep AP you built for $4000" Feel the ridicule and ultimately the ban hammer in a legitimate watch collecting forum

Collecting Casios is met with far more respect than collecting Chinese counterfeit watches.  

Who are you guys kidding? Perhaps yourselves. You live in this little counterfeit watch vacuum on ever changing closing and opening  websites, and pat each other's back for the latest best noob of a watch, the real thing, you have no hope of ever affording,...

Perhaps you really believe collecting and wearing and projecting  that which you cannot afford is an "honorable" "hobby".  Lets see...ummmm  who can spend $4000  to make a copy of a  $14000 watch..Stupid is stupid...or spend $700 for a Chinese fake  likely assembled on the top of a sandwich,...If you truly think this is an honorable "hobby", It is not me that is delusional. You guy are the ones the Chinese are snickering at as they sneaky raise prices for phony watches to $700+ many whose real thing is at least water resistant while fake aqua, Submariner Speed Masters are not..for $300+ LOL 

Enjoy your fake lives in your fake sandbox. I don't need this site, Just a bunch of poor boys trying to project an image of men most can only dream of. 

Epic lulz... Collecting Casio's...

There are more watch craftsmen, experts and all around brilliant people here than on almost any other forum. You have no idea what you're talking about, and you'd be laughed off any other forum with your inane suppositions and braggart stance. "I'm a Watch Collector" was your pronouncement, and sir I must tell you that when you start a thread like that, and then talk about buying Casio's, Parnis, and $3 watches you are going to get flamed anywhere you go.

You go hangout at RadioShack with your Casio's, and I'll hangout at Tourneau where I have bought many 5 figure timepieces.

Fool.

Also I should point out that several guys featured on Hodinkee that are now watch manufacturers and have their own "legitimate" brand selling big-money watches started out making replica's with such exacting detail you wouldn't believe. John Mayer bought one of these, a JLC and he's quite fond of it.

The sad thing is these guys make a case, a face, etc and we all know that not to be super challenging for many here - and then they gussy up an ETA movement and charge $15,000 for the watch as they are now an haute-horologie "Indie Manufacturer" and for some reason that is totally cool.

I didn't consider high-end Franken's or rep's until I realized that about about 15% of the watch market is true in-house brilliance and purity. I was tired of getting ripped off with fancy names with huge price tags and ETA's hidden inside... You tell me where the difference is, because outside of in-house complicated manufacture movements, I don't see it.

Also I should point out that several guys featured on Hodinkee that are now watch manufacturers and have their own "legitimate" brand selling big-money watches started out making replica's with such exacting detail you wouldn't believe. John Mayer bought one of these, a JLC and he's quite fond of it.

The sad thing is these guys make a case, a face, etc and we all know that not to be super challenging for many here - and then they gussy up an ETA movement and charge $15,000 for the watch as they are now an haute-horologie "Indie Manufacturer" and for some reason that is totally cool.

I didn't consider high-end Franken's or rep's until I realized that about about 15% of the watch market is true in-house brilliance and purity. I was tired of getting ripped off with fancy names with huge price tags and ETA's hidden inside... You tell me where the difference is, because outside of in-house complicated manufacture movements, I don't see it.

Wait...you mean Parnis doesn't manufacture their own in-house movements?