When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

someone opened a Pay Pal case on a watch

mymanmatt

I sold a watch on Jan 20 2015. Yesterday he opened a case with pp. He said he bought a gen from me ad turned out it was fake. I cannot find any emails from him. Is ok to publish his name and email here to see if someone knows him? Thanks     UPDATE    He withdrew the claim with pp. Maybe because I checked the box to return merchandise for a full refund. He may have been planning to ship an empty box. 

Gosh... What happens in these cases? I mean is he forced to send back the watch (so he is refunded) or he can keep both watch and money?

I truly hate dishonest people :E

Unfortunately in the US he'd be told by paypal to destroy the watch and he'd be provided a refund. So as scammer he will get the watch and his money....

Matt is a super nice and honest guy, and I know from a whole lot of dealings with him, phone conversations, etc. he is as honest as the day is long. This asshole is trying to get his money back and the watch to boot. I'm sure he knew exactly what he was buying, and I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't scammed others. I hope that this can be worked out in Matt's favor, but knowing PayPal, unless you are one of the big time sellers on EBay, things seldom work out positively for your side. The probable consequences of this is Matt will have his PayPal account frozen, and it will create a hardship on both he and his customers. Maybe in the long run  only accept PayPal gift, or go back to the old fashioned way, "mail me a Postal Money order for the deposit and I'll build you a watch, and then another postal money order for the balance, shipping upon clearance of the funds", at least do this for any unknown that pops up out of nowhere.

Good luck Matt, I sure hope this works out in your favor. 

• Like 1

^^^ agreed 100%.  Matt is a great guy and always easy to deal with.  Truly one of the good guys and one that can be trusted completely.  He has built me a bunch of watches and we communicate frequently; he is always friendly and professional.  One of my favorite people on any forum.  Pretty sad that some asshat is trying to scam him.    

Terrible situation especially if there are no records to support the case.  I hope a fair resolution presents itself.   

There have been rare cases on other forums where even with a PP gift, PP has issued refunds.  So that is not even a guarantee that you will not get scammed.  Pretty much limits who I will deal with moving forward.

I will do anything I can to try and help, good luck Matt.  

• Like 1

What about proving to PP that he knew it was an hand made not original watch?

In the US it's selling of the rep that is illegal not possession, so he'd then be admitting to a crime and then paypal would not only refund but freeze the account and Matt would loose the ability to hold a paypal account.