When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Christmas gift- gen watch for dad- ideas?

tframo

Hi guys.   I want to get my dad a nice watch for Christmas.    He isn't really into them like we are, but will appreciate it.  

I was going back  and forth between gen and rep but I think I want to get him a gen for around $500.    He has a large wrist 8.5" and prefers leather or Nato

any suggestions?

I'm with mike on this one, Hamilton is a go to in that price range, I recommend the Jazzmaster Viewmatic. This comes in different sizes but I would still recommend the 40mm as this is a much more timeless size.

You should also be able to find a Seiko SARB in that price range which is a great looking watch and an excellent value.

Definitely cool, but maybe not for someone who isn't really into watches, they might not appreciate it for what it is. I stole a Tudor from a coworker who wanted to just give it to me because it looked so old and junky and kind of like a ladies watch, I had to force him to take some money for it.

One thing I would double check on is if he is willing to deal with an auto movement. Not everybody is. If he is, then Magrette make a nice large Panerai inspired sports watch. You can also get him a nice sterile Big Pilot homage as they can be sourced really easily on eBay or even Amazon these days.

One thing I would double check on is if he is willing to deal with an auto movement. Not everybody is. If he is, then Magrette make a nice large Panerai inspired sports watch. You can also get him a nice sterile Big Pilot homage as they can be sourced really easily on eBay or even Amazon these days.

I agree about the mech. Movement. Lots of folks are not into watches at all, and a mechanical movement may prove to be a nuisance. Things that are nuisances tend to be put aside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some good suggestions here. A few questions for you OP, do you think your dad would like Quartz or auto/manual, classic or modern, does he recognise brand names (rather wound he appreciate them), large or small - he may have a large wrist that can handle a 47mm Pam, but if he's used to 37mm watches he's not going to like it! 

Regardless, there are some fine suggestions posted. I like the Seiko or Hamilton options.