When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Here is what $10k buys today...

automatico

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1460157512/FS-+1973+Rolex+Submariner+1680+Red+MK4+on+9315+Bracelet

Ten k buys a dial, movement, case back, and a clasp.

The lug holes at the bottom right and top left are almost to the top of the lugs from grinding/polishing leaving no room for bevels.   The bracelet is just about worn out.   Overall condition of the case is around 75%, not much corrosion though.   The crown guards are getting thin etc, etc.  

Ten years ago a watch in this condition with a regular dial might bring $2000/$2500. It looks like ruff-ruff watches with hot rod dials have hit The Big Time.

It's insanity. My DW cased beaters look better. I used to worry about the rounded sides on DW cases and no bevels but I am seeing more and more genuine examples that look just like them from being worn and polished, and polished, and polished...

It won't be long until I can wear a DW in the daytime...with short sleeves.   :pimp:

• Like 1

Yeah, it's the red dial that sells it though. That's why I don't see a huge issue with building a vintage watch. You get the look you love with (hopefully) a movement and case with a ton of life left. As long as you're not trying to sell it as genuine I don't see any issue IMO.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, UmpaHimself said:

Yeah, it's the red dial that sells it though. That's why I don't see a huge issue with building a vintage watch. You get the look you love with (hopefully) a movement and case with a ton of life left. As long as you're not trying to sell it as genuine I don't see any issue IMO.

Exactly my current state of mind.
My Great White or 1680 have some genuine stuff, but overall they look stunning, at least to my eyes, and works perfectly well with the slow beat ETAs!

• Like 1

Four years ago I found a birth year, 1972 red 1680 in mint condition online. All original with very nice matching patina on the dial and hands. The price was $9,000 based on the exchange rate at the time. The bummer was it was being sold over at a reputable dealer in Italy. There's no way I would buy a watch like that oversees, plus I didn't have the resources at the time, but the price certainly was great. I question if you could get a similar condition, all original red sub like that today at that price. :-/

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Well I've thought for a while that the best vintage Rolex are built by members here. Amazing what a few months reading can do. Even I can see that case is knackered. On the other hand I've seen people asking more for just the dial.

i do have a question for the gurus, what about laser welding it back to shape. I hear more and more "reputable" dealers are having it done.

44 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

i do have a question for the gurus, what about laser welding it back to shape. I hear more and more "reputable" dealers are having it done.

Any modification to a vintage watch will reduce its value. Therefore, there are 3 options for a watch with a damaged case - leave it as-is & let the market (ie., the buyer) fix the value, repair it and describe the repair in the sales description or repair it & hope a knowledgeable buyer does not spot & call you out (as dishonest) for not disclosing the original damage & subsequent repair.

there is so much money floating around the world, it's obscene. Someone starts a fad, and pretty soon everyone jumps in feet first. It's not just watches, it's vintage cars, firearms, etc. Right now vintage watches especially the ones that get "talked up" a lot are red hot. Who knows how long or high the prices will go? the vintage market has been pretty strong for a while now. But like all  markets, no matter how popular now, are cyclical. I remember a good many years back when Ferrari's were red hot as well, they were being flipped over and over and everyone was making a profit, and then the Japanese economy tanked, the wealthy Japanese buyers disappeared and suddenly, the Ferrari market dropped precipitously. This has happened in the past in many areas of "collectibles"

Now the upshot of this is the folks who have the funds and "intestinal fortitude" to buck trends, likely are able to pick up some real bargains. The only requirement is that you have the staying power wait out the troughs in cycles and be ready when the price picks up again.

Having said all this, there are certain "things" that are almost immune to the ups and downs of markets. These are the uber rare items that exist in such small numbers in the world, that they create their own market. Cars like the Bugatti Type 57S, the Ferraris from the 1960-70's with authenticated racing pedigrees. There are so few of any of these types of vehicles that to own one, one must first find one for sale and then win the bidding war between all the other well heeled chaps who crave one as well. Same with watches, if you are seeking a special watch of which there are only one or a handful in existence, then you aren't going to get it cheap!!

• Like 2

"Who knows how long or high the prices will go?"

My guess is until the next world wide depression or when most of the 'Baby Boomer' age people die out. Depression causes prices to drop because buyers are low on $$ or decide to wait until prices get very low compared to pre recession prices. Baby Boomers want what they had when they were young or what they wanted and could not afford when they were young...thereby making vintage cars, motorcycles, watches, classic furniture etc today's Hot Items. 

Something else that might have an effect on the vintage rolex market is 'pollution'. Pollution = when many of the vintage Hot Dog rolex watches are 'polluted' with replica parts...but only if the parts can be detected in a percentage large enough to upset the market. If these parts are good enough to pass inspection, they will just be added to the mix of 'nos' or 'like new' parts. I would say a fair amount of 'high class' pollution is already taking place, most of it undetected.

One more example:   http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/thread/1459791914/last-1459797356/View+All

Meanwhile I am holding on to a '57 Hamilton Electric Van Horn, waiting for it to 'Go Hot'. Looks like it's gonna be a long wait. Wanted a Ventura but they cost too much. Paid $40 for the VH in June 1994.

Here's what a VH looks like:   http://unwindintime.com/page4.php?view=productPage&product=20

• Like 1

On 4/10/2016 at 10:15 AM, panerai153 said:

... Someone starts a fad, and pretty soon everyone jumps in feet first...

Tell me about it... I just paid almost $200 for a 'vintage' HP 32S calculator that I use for work... FML

s-l1000.jpg

Tell me about it... I just paid almost $200 for a 'vintage' HP 32S calculator that I use for work... FML

s-l1000.jpg

LOL - the 32S. I have 2 of the 10B model sitting on my desk right now. I keep one in my briefcase and the other on my desk. I've had them for 18 years. I can whip out am schedules and payments so much faster than using my software. In the amount of time it takes to load up my software and open a new file window, I can run multiple pricing scenarios on my 10B. I just can't share it with anyone. I love my HP. I even tried installing an app on my phone to run am schedules and payments, but it doesn't have that tactile feel that the HP does.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Please don't be putting pictures like that up on here. I have enough addictions with watches, pens and cars. I don't need leading astray. Now I'm thinking about my old school calculator, a Texas Instruments with flickering red display.

:-)

Back to red Subs, this one looks kind of cheap now

http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/new-watches-in-the-shop-march-29?mc_cid=57e499529f&mc_eid=a54c549482

• 2 weeks later...