When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bargain of the year...

automatico

Here it is!

"Swiss Made"!!

Meccaniche Veneziane Nereide (wtf ??) 

200 Meter WR Dive Watch With Swiss Automatic Movement! 

Only $1025 USD!

Shipping only $35!

eBay item number  232871827772

What's the catch you say?

Well, for starters it has a Chinese Seagull ST16 movement same as the average $60 Canal Street Special.  Dressed up a little but the same engine.

Surely no one would claim a Chinese movement is "Swiss Made". 

How about claiming a complete Chinese watch is "Swiss Made"?  Tell me it ain't so!  Never!

No one has that much nerve!  Not even the Swiss!  No Way!

I am Flabbergasted!

Maybe I'll order two...only if they will combine shipping.  :animal_rooster:

This proves that whatever we buy from sites here or from other members is always going to be the way to go!!!  I never had any regrets from whatever I bought from this forum apart from the one occasion that one item never reached me!!!!

The first think I learnt in high school from the subject "marketing" just put the highest price for the biggest junk and people will queue for it like hot cakes!!! Same as the fashion industry.  They tell us what to like, not ask us what we like!!!!  It is all sell and no tell as there are different rules for different fools!! :secret:

There are a lot of Microbrands that came up on Kickstarter this days. Most of them claim Swiss Made, but when you look at it, it's clearly Chinese Stuff. People with no knowledge about watches jump on the train and think they have have a unique timepiece.

Really weird.🤢

13 hours ago, automatico said:

Here it is!

"Swiss Made"!!

Meccaniche Veneziane Nereide (wtf ??) 

200 Meter WR Dive Watch With Swiss Automatic Movement! 

Only $1025 USD!

Shipping only $35!

eBay item number  232871827772

What's the catch you say?

Well, for starters it has a Chinese Seagull ST16 movement same as the average $60 Canal Street Special.  Dressed up a little but the same engine.

Surely no one would claim a Chinese movement is "Swiss Made". 

How about claiming a complete Chinese watch is "Swiss Made"?  Tell me it ain't so!  Never!

No one has that much nerve!  Not even the Swiss!  No Way!

I am Flabbergasted!

Maybe I'll order two...only if they will combine shipping.  :animal_rooster:

You are totally correct as ever, but legally that movement is Swiss made. How? Well it is a cheap as chips Chinese movement and Swiss labour is expensive, so get a Swiss guy to lube it and BOOM, 60% of the value is now Swiss, legally it is Swiss made.

Bull 5h!t you say? Of course it is, but legal 

"You are totally correct as ever, but legally that movement is Swiss made."

You are right.

I would not doubt it might be distantly related to the infamous 'Claro-Semag' CL 888.

I have had good luck with the Seagull ST16 in its basic form.  Also good luck with the ST6. 

Here is some of the story:

https://www.watchfreeks.com/115-watch-movements/3864-claro-semag-cl-888-a.html

http://www.watchprojects.com/2010/10/27/claro-watch-big-trouble-in-little-switzerland/

"I wasn't aware of that legal trick..."

How about this one:

The Great Chinese - Swiss Watch Paradox:

http://www.asian-watches.com/2015/02/the-great-chinese-swiss-watch-paradox.html#!/2015/02/the-great-chinese-swiss-watch-paradox.html

Since this was written the percentage of swiss parts by value has risen to 60% from 50%.

"The Italians do the same thing with the optical industry, Luxxotica sells billions of dollars worth of high priced eyeglasses and sunglasses "Made in Italy" out of 100% Chinese components."

There used to be a company a few miles away that made some of the components/packaging for various sunglass brands.  They closed about the same time Ray Ban sold out to Luxxotica.  A friend used to go 'dumpster diving' behind the factory and get 'Cerruti 1881' sunglass carry cases to store watches in.  I still have one with a 'Ben and Sons' chronograph in it.

Waaay back when...I 'knew a guy' who could get new USA Ray Ban Aviators for $12.  Still have one used and one new from 1979.  Had three to start with but mashed one flat when I fell off of a MC in 1984. 

The Ray Bans stuck in my nose after the pavement ground through a new Arai helmet...and my forehead.  I started wearing plastic Frogskins on MC after that.   

It only hurts now when I stand up.     :wheelchair:     Ha!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, automatico said:

The Ray Bans stuck in my nose after the pavement ground through a new Arai helmet...and my forehead.  I started wearing plastic Frogskins on MC after that.   

It only hurts now when I stand up. 

Haaaaaaaaa!!  Love it.  :tu:  Are you sure you're not Alaskan?

"Are you sure you're not Alaskan?"

I spent a summer in Sitka when I was a kid.  Does that count?

Still have nightmares about flying on Ketchikan Airlines in a little bitty airplane that shook like a paint mixer with holes where rivets used to be and control cables rubbing my arm. 

Fly along above the water over a bunch of little fishing villages...fall out of the sky and splash down in the water...idle up to a dock...the pilot gets out wearing high top waders and works on the engine while one or two passengers get off and on.  Seemed like the ones getting back on were always bigger than the ones that got off.

Rev up and take off after skipping a few times and then do it all over again...10 or 12 times.

I asked why there were no life preservers or anything.  The pilot/mechanic/navigator said "Don't worry about it kid, the water is so cold you wouldn't last 5 minutes anyway."

A parachute would have been nice...and maybe some Beanie Weenies in case you hit on an island.

• 2 months later...