When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OK so here it is - The Poll

Edge

What should we do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to see happen?

• Create a Dealers Scam Section
    • Suspend their Dealer priviledges and Stop outside linking to their sites
    • Ban them all
    • Nothing, sit idly by in our contented little bubble
    • Other - Explain in thread...

Ok so you called for it so here it is, vote what you think.

If you have other suggestions hit other, and then list that opinion in the thread. Please DO NOT post inane spurious crap in the thread, please just stick to voting, and if you say other, your alternative.

This is not the thread for lots of discussion, I think that thread is well established.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The admins of RWG simply list what dealers expectations must be on all listings, private, public or from web sites. Give them 30 days to clean up the terminology in there adds, no matter what the source, and then issue suspensions to the board to any and all not following the written plan at the end of 30 days. Clear consise requirements, a time period to comply and that is it. Once gone they will have to petition to get back on.

Usil

Edited by Usil

The admins of RWG simply list what dealers expectations must be on all listings, private, public or from web sites. Give them 30 days to clean up the terminology in there adds, no matter what the source, and then issue suspensions to the board to any and all not following the written plan at the end of 30 days. Clear consise requirements, a time period to comply and that is it. Once gone they will have to petition to get back on.

Usil

This sounds good to me too, but it would not help in the issue of the cartel and price fixing

dont like nesebakkar s answer though, not realy very constructive if you ask me.

Only on the cartel front (doesn't address the issue of misrepresentation):

If we have four dealers selling the same watches for one fixed price, do they need to take up four dealer slots? Three of those slots could be used for more open competition. As for the remaining slot, well, the options are wide open....

Since we all know their URLs (and will continue to purchase anyway, if needed), I'm curious if there's anything constructive in not directly linking them.

I understand the principle behind policing, but if I was a newb trying to find the most reliable source, at that point, this board would be self-defeating by limiting my choices a bit. I'd rather risk a misworded description on an otherwise top-of-the-line & reasonably priced product, than not find the answers I'm looking for; and possibly winding up buying a blatent rip off "31 jewel Italian movement Daytona" for $1,600.00 over at bestswiss, because I discovered fewer choices here, due to a more reputable dealer (than globalrelicas) being omitted from the listing.

I have however been mostly absent from the boards (school & work are cumbersome currently), so I've been weeks (or months?) rare from reading & posting on here. So, if I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, just ignore this. :)

Ciao

Edited by gioarmani

Other:

How about a special "watch critic" section. Kind of like the Siskel and Ebert of replica watches. Apoint a well known and respected member to review a watch when it is released. The dealer can voluntarily send a watch to this person for inspection. This person will remove the back of the watch take detailed photos and return the watch to the dealer. Then the findings will be posted on each model and if it passes the watch from that dealer only will be given a thumbs up. This may take care of the description problem, then there is always bait and switch.

As for the price fixing, what can you do? Better customers may always get better deals. I liked it better when the prices weren't posted and you make your deal and keep your mouth shut. I always wait a month or two or longer to buy a watch because I know the more dealers that carry it, the more the price will come down. I have learned patience and trusty said himself the exclusives are only temporary.

Other than getting swamped with work, I've never particularly cared for associating with drama, which is partially what led me to stop frequenting forums lately (not just watch forums).

To simply add clarity to my earlier statement, I'm not fully aware of all the details & stories associated with the creation of this poll--nor do I wish to spend the time doing so--the thread's title just happened to be the first one listed under "view new posts" when I logged on.

I firmly believe in caveat emptor, and the virtues in consumers doing their due diligence before purchasing--it's simply common sense. For posterity's sake, I will say I voted for #4, as I believe there's been a full spread of replies over the years on the spectrum of dealer feed-back (both positive and negative, as with any type of sales), and I feel these reviews & ratings--if done thoughtfully and rationally--should continue to be the sole judging point as to whether or not others will continue to do business with them, based on these reviews.

E.g., if there's a specific model of watch in question that someone is looking to purchase, the smart thing to do (from a consumer standpoint) is to look at different pictures from different sites and compare the models, compare the prices, and read some reviews on what others have experienced with the same; then make your decision to buy on what you feel is the best way to go, based on what you've learned. Everyone's got a different story to tell, whether good or bad, and they all have a right to post & speak their minds, within reason, just as much as the dealers do. Dealer "A" might have a reputation for snail-like shipping or little communication, but banning or suspension certainly wouldn't have resolved anything. He had a right to defense and to his side of the story. This dealer might have complaints, but has plenty of satisfied customers. Dealer "B" might have delivered a product that was only 80 or 90% accurate to it's description, but he had a right to defense and his side of the story as well. This person also has plenty of satisfied customers. The most helpful thing to all the members here, and all those who've yet to come--and the dealers as well--is to let them continue to buy & sell. Let the consumers continue to have the freedom to choose and the freedom to report their findings so that others may continue to do so as well. After all, it's ultimately the reviews that have the strongest make or breaking point for a sale.

Now I've said my peace; I'll leave well enough alone. Good night, and good to see you all again.

Other: Shut the F*@K up, you whiny little [censored]!

Talk about strange. What if Neba bought one of those B&R and then found out it had a cheap movement in it. I wonder what he'll think..........strange behavior.

I have voted, so I did my part. We should pin this thread for sure.

@Nebakanezer........

Other: Shut the F*@K up, you whiny little [censored]!
Seems to me that's apropos regarding your comment......!

Why don't we add an option to the poll.....!

Anyone who exhibits 'asshat' behaviour or comments.......gets lumped in with the suspension of the liars....!

@Giormani...!

I'm not fully aware of all the details & stories associated with the creation of this poll--nor do I wish to spend the time doing so--the thread's title just happened to be the first one listed under "view new posts" when I logged on.

If you're not familiar with all the details......then get acquainted with them........if you don't ....then you're not qualified to comment........so stop throwing so many words at the page.......or is that you just like to see yourself in print........DUH...!

I'd basically like to see some kind of warning system instead of an outright ban.

The fact is, as a practical matter I doubt the administrators of this board would ban the dealers at issue unless the other major boards do the same, and I can't blame them. Without them, the easy purchase sites that appeal to newbies just aren't here. Without that, newbies will go to TRC or RWI. Without new members, this board will eventually go under since it won't be worth the effort to maintain. So while it's appealing to say "they need us, we don't need them" we need to ask, just who do people think are "we" and "they" anyway . . .

@Giormani...!

If you're not familiar with all the details......then get acquainted with them........if you don't ....then you're not qualified to comment........so stop throwing so many words at the page.......or is that you just like to see yourself in print........DUH...!

Hear here. It pisses me off that some people think willfull ignorance is to be respected.