When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So why reps?

got-it

A valid question...

For me, I guess this is a hobby like any other. No different than collecting baseball cards I guess....

It's more fun, and a challenge to find the perfect rep.

Most of the members on here are men, and we know how men like their toys.... :lol:

My feeling is that I can have more. It's not a matter of being well off, sure I can afford one or two gens, but why when I can have a dozen or so reps, all with just about the same build quality sans movements. Nothing like wearing a different watch each day of the week. And let's face it despite the "minor" flaws these reps have, their damn good so good they'd fool 99% of most people. People mind you that hardly even know what to look for like us geeks. Plus how many people in your world have heard of half of these names, vacheron, panerai etc. Well I guess that depends on what part of the world your from I suppose. Outside of rolex most people haven't a clue, they know to look for the sweeping second hand and that's about it.

And then there is the fact that owning a $3000+ gen usually means never wearing for fear of damage, theft or whatnot. Reps who care, well I do, but $200 isn't a bad investment for something that looks and feels so close, and if it breaks, easily replaced.

Just my thoughts.

IMO, it's just not much fun laying down the Amex and picking up a new watch.

With reps, you have to hunt them down, find ways to improve them, source OEM parts in the small corners of the palnet and in the process, learn a heck of a lot about watches. Cost, much less than OEM. Fun factor-priceless. :D

For the price of an old ETA Tudor Sub, I can have three and perhaps four awesome sport vintage MBWs plus a few OEM parts. The fun factor and variety are terrific as is the learning curve! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

I, however, am still ultimately pleased with my long-winded 'armour' theory regarding rep watches, which can be found here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=593&hl=armour#

Yes, a completely shameless bump, but how often do I really do that anyway?

Real good read Ethan, I enjoyed your analysis and certainly can relate.

Very nice gentlemen, here's my story:

I work for an respectable oil and gas software corporation in canada. I would consider myself well off. I have looked at gens and have considered buying a rolex. It's strage, but while I was in Malaysia, I contemplated buying a daytona for $20k usd. Because I was in a rush, I decided I'd come back tomorrow. Strange how "fate" would interfere.

As I was walking down the night market streets that night, I encountered rep merchants that beckoned me to look at their watches. I looked, and looked, thinking in my mind that these "fakes" are horribly made and easily detected. Smugly, I laughed to myself and wondered why anyone would want to own one of these things. Then the watch dealer pointed to the back and ask me to look at his more "expensive" products. I saw the exact daytona I was looking at ealier in the day. I was astonished and impressed. The daytona rep was very very close. I decided to buy it so I can examine it a little closer. I paid $25usd for it.

I pulled up piles and piles of photos for comparison...wow, very impressed. The flaws are very hard to notice. The sweeping second hand, the screw in links, the caseback...everything screams authenticity (well, except for the minor subdial spacing issue). I started doing research when I returned to canada...

...and that's what led me to this site. Now, I am a rep collector with 3 reps and 1 more on the way.

Funny how gen dealers are screaming foul, because if anything, reps have sparked a huge interest in me to owning gens in the future.

Edited by got-it

I like reps for a "test drive" for genuine. It has also educated me to all the different brands that are available on the market. I probably would have never bought a genuine Panerai unless I had bought a rep first because I was "scared" of the 44mm. Now, if I get anything smaller than 44mm it looks too small on my arm, so the hard part is fining the larger size selection of watches on the market.

I really never got into all the modification stuff, I usually don't have them long enough to mess with all that. I did get some tools to take them apart and clean the crystals and realign dials (minor things). Anyway, it is a fun hobby and it is an expensive hobby too. ;)

first of all... BIG LOVE FOR WATCHES!!!

next...it is a nice hobby....

they are affordable...cheap price for a pretty high quality of watch!!!

and it is always better to have 10-15 watches then 1 gen!

that is pretty much all...mybe i've forgot to mention something...but...if i remember i'll tell you!!

I have 14 watches, 1 more on the way. I have 2 reps and one semi-rep that has been modified into a Poley. The YM and the Poley get wear, the AP RO sits in the collection box.

I won't be buying anymore reps, only reals. I learned alot about watches and myself with the replicas, the education process was fun but I have the degree and I checked out.

I can afford nice reals, they don't force me to make explanations or justifications like the reps did, so for me it's just easier to own the reals.

Edited by KenMc

I agree with many of the posts, reps allow variety, however I've had most of my reps apart to some degree. The one on tonight I had the movement out, sized the dial, set the hands and even had the keyless works apart. There is a sort of connection you get with a watch when you work with it. I could have had a gen 111 on my wrist tonight, but decided on my watch project. There is a good reason why the gen forums do not have a section on working on watches, you have to be a skilled watch person to actually work on an expensive gen, far too much room for error.

Because for me, the value of things are not guided by created perceptions.

Functionality, maybe, but not labels, which means that I will not deep sea dive,

trek with dogs to the south pole, or attempt a moon walk while wearing my replicas.

Other than that,.. my well chosen replicas, will guide me in this passage through time, as well as

any marked up hype ever could, while leaving, not just my bank account, but my sense of self intact.

All of the above, plus the cameraderie of a forum like RWG.

You hit the nail on the head there ryyannon. Altho the watches are lovely to source and own, we are also lucky to have a brilliant rep community. I havnt been a member that long, but i have burnt many a good hour just reading posts, salivating over pictures, and generally enjoying the banter.

Jon