When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

extra special buckle

deltatahoe

so people were talking in the PAV thread about how crazy it is for a strap to sell for $269; how about a single buckle for $600??!

What! That's crazy talk. And look at this right above it.

"GPF-Mod dep on NEW Strapmaster 26/26, 125/80, $850"

And here was me thinking I had just bought the best (most expensive) strap one can buy for a PAM -- the PAV 91.

everyone will have differing opinions about who makes the best straps. strapmasters (particularly their XaMas line) is generally regarded as being one of the best, along with dirk, who actually just re-entered the strap selling scene (see his post here on paneristi) -- too bad his new buckles have the ugly dirk cursive writing engraved on them.

part of the appeal of the PAV 91 was that it was one of the original hides that was used to make straps for genuine panerai watches back in 1993 (which was the beginning of the "rebirth" of the brand before the pre-vendome acquisition of panerai in 1997).

deltatahoe

everyone will have differing opinions about who makes the best straps. strapmasters (particularly their XaMas line) is generally regarded as being one of the best, along with dirk, who actually just re-entered the strap selling scene (see his post here on paneristi) -- too bad his new buckles have the ugly dirk cursive writing engraved on them.

part of the appeal of the PAV 91 was that it was one of the original hides that was used to make straps for genuine panerai watches back in 1993 (which was the beginning of the "rebirth" of the brand before the pre-vendome acquisition of panerai in 1997).

deltatahoe

If I could get a strap in that Vacchetta Sabbia coloring for my Daytona, I'd be one happy camper :D

I believe that the GPF mod dep buckles are one of the rarest buckles you can find right now but Kostas can tell you more about it.

Couple years back they were going for about $250 and the price has been doubled by now.

Off course PAV's are also hard to find and to find one in NOS condition you'll have to pay top $$$ for it and believe me those straps will be gone in no time.

I too am hunting for those PAV's and hope to get one soon off course. ;)

I have a buckle engraved 'SHT-Mod Dep'. It is more than rare: it is unique.

On sale @ $1300.

Paypal accepted, but add 4%.

I have a buckle engraved 'SHT-Mod Dep'. It is more than rare: it is unique.

On sale @ $1300.

Paypal accepted, but add 4%.

I'll take it .... first come first serve????

VB... Delta we gotta get in on this ... maybe we can by it as a co-op .... then sell it for double on the bay .... V....you can sell ice cubes to eskimos .... aahhhh comoonnn..

what would it take to mod it???? :black_eye:

VB... Delta we gotta get in on this ... maybe we can by it as a co-op .... then sell it for double on the bay .... V....you can sell ice cubes to eskimos .... aahhhh comoonnn..

what would it take to mod it???? :black_eye:

i hear these SHT-Mod Dep buckles are basically invaluable.....$1300 is a total bargain -- let's do it :animal_rooster:

deltatahoe

You mean this buckle? :p

This is my personal GPF-MOD Dep buckle on a custom made V strap... The history of this buckle is very complicated.. many say that there are genuine panerai buckles from depth gauges, and other believe that they are reproductions from Strapmasters that were sold AS genuine but they actually are not.

Don't know what to believe.. Only thing I know is that I like it a lot and I am proud of having one ;)

280899-306.jpg

280899-307.jpg

It's no surprise at all.... with regards to the pricier market prices for rare PAVs...

Over the last month or so, I've rejected a well-known Fannaristi's offer of USD $ 650 for a brand new OEM PAV99 with PVD logo buckle (circa late-1990s). Just about 1 year back, PAVs were popping up everywhere at a price range of USD $ 280 - USD $ 350. Nowadays, it's the seller's market and most who have purchased their PAVs over the past 2 years are hanging on tight to theirs.

With the OEM PAV91 going through the roof begining of this year at a market price of USD $ 1000 + (bearing in mind "used PAV91"), I have a feeling the rest of the PAVs will follow suit.

With the OEM PAV91 going through the roof begining of this year at a market price of USD $ 1000 + (bearing in mind "used PAV91"), I have a feeling the rest of the PAVs will follow suit.

Blimey. Now I'm worried.

Because I've always had a great gen watch collection since girlhood, I've had to be very careful where I wear the pricier items. Stupidly, I've been held up at gun point in Wash DC (pumping "gas" at 10 PM...dumb Vic, dumb), so finding reps gives me a weency bit more confidence that if I "lose" my watch, I'll just email Andrew and get a new one.

But now I'm worried about this PAV 91! Not that thieves know the difference, but also, they obviously would take both watch and strap -- the latter being far more irreplaceable. Ack.

Just gorgeous, V. Your custom-made strap, not the buckle.

(Is it me, or is this one of the ugliest buckles you've ever seen? Yes, the history behind it, but please)

Thanks for the compliment about the strap and yes it is you... the buckle has a vintage look to it and putting it even in my gen 112 is sacriledge ;)

It's a buckle.....but I suppose when stamp collectors and train spotters gather together it acquires some kind of mythical status......duh...$800 buxx for a buckle......there must be plenty of glass doors on the web......re-arrange this well known saying......'than more sense money"......!

i hear these SHT-Mod Dep buckles are basically invaluable.....$1300 is a total bargain -- let's do it :animal_rooster:

Yes, it is a steal.

Here is a pic:

280984-279.jpg

I'm bewildered....you would thing having 'SHT' on your buckle would be less valuable....

It's a connoisseurs-only thing... sort of truffle, or fugu...

281013-269.jpg

Wow! :blink:

Please ask Maria not to rep this buckle... I gave a kidney to get it.

(Btw, Sir N., any news on my items?)

deltatahoe

We should do a group buy of these, even if there is only 1 we can pretend we can get a better deal by all of us putting our money into the hat. ;)

That one was made on SHTINERAND

I believed it was made in SHITZERLAND...

We should do a group buy of these, even if there is only 1 we can pretend we can get a better deal by all of us putting our money into the hat. ;)

Oh my, this is going metaphysical! :lol:

May I ask our moderator on whether can I make an auction about it?

I believe that the GPF mod dep buckles are one of the rarest buckles you can find right now but Kostas can tell you more about it.

Couple years back they were going for about $250 and the price has been doubled by now.

Off course PAV's are also hard to find and to find one in NOS condition you'll have to pay top $$$ for it and believe me those straps will be gone in no time.

I too am hunting for those PAV's and hope to get one soon off course. ;)

Hey Maikel - the GPF buckle picture you use in your signature area in posts - is it a genuine buckle? The font is different from others I've seen.

Hey Maikel - the GPF buckle picture you use in your signature area in posts - is it a genuine buckle? The font is different from others I've seen.

I think it's a gen...I copied it from a site but can't remember where.

Yeah I've seen different kind of GPF Mod Dep engravings but I can't tell if they're fake or not.

Although I'd never give a $500 or more for a piece of steel, they have historical value...

come on, even a 10minute worked hand made strap is being sold over $100 around everywhere...

if a buckle is more than 30years old and have historical value... what do you expect? should they sell for $20? :)

Edited by deepsea