When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do you fall into a 'niche'?

mezzanine

I was just responding to a post in another thread, and I had the thought that many of us probably occupy an individual niche, in terms of the types of reps that we go after.

I think that two of the more noticable niche's that I associate within the greater community would be those members that are mostly into Pams, and those that are mostly into Rollies. I think you can almost sub-divide these two broad niche's by saying that those that are Pam nuts usually are davidsen Pam people...and that most of the Rolex fans are probably more into the MBK's.

Sometimes I'll notice some members have interest only in the MBK's. I think that it offers more of a 'hobbyist' type of slant on the rep collecting game, being that the watches can always be indefinitely modified and worked on. It's almost half model building, half rep collecting.

With the Pams, they seem to have this mystical appeal to those that are into them exclusively. The design is infectious, and hence the slogan "you can't buy just one" that gets thrown around that circle. Even after being pretty deep into the rep world at this point, I'm often still amazed at how the subtle stylistic differences between models can elicit the type of buying motivation that it does in their collectors.

And just as I was starting to feel cosmopolitan and 'diverse' in my rep interests, in comparison with these narrow fellows I've referred to above- I began to realize that I too occupy a niche, just as surely as they do. I'm almost exclusively down to 'super-reps', in terms of my own collection. So I pretty much ONLY buy the newer watches that come from a single factory or maker.

What other niches are out there that I'm missing? If I was going to further narrow my tastes, I would probably say that I'm an "other brands" kinda guy. Where the Tags used to appeal to me, because of their popularity with non-watch folk, I no longer find them appealing. The Omegas I like, but there aren't many 'super-reps' available in that brand, and as a result they're not really high on my list or well-represented in my collection.

The IWC's are borderline "other reps", in terms of their status among non-WIS'ers. And because they've seen some attention from the super-rep maker, I've got one now, and did have the Ingy previously. The 3717 probably qualifies as a super-rep as well, and if the Aquatimer EVER gets released, that one will also fall into the super-rep category.

The Breitlings were neglected a bit, in terms of the attention they got from the rep makers, but now that's been corrected...and therefore they enter the collection. They're a popular brand. I've noticed some people (probably associated with aviation) that are Breitling people.

In regards to Pams, i feel similar. My first pam and only pam has been a PAM253 Luminor Flyback Regatta.. Granted, i know it's not the most accurate of the panerais, it's definitely a favorite of mine. But for some reason, I can't seem to draw myself to by another Pam. I love mine, but i feel like another pam would be too plain.. and too similar. I love the 111h, but don't think that it reflects anything more special than any other pam. Before i bought my Pam, i thought i was a panerai person for life... Now i know i'm just a "hit it and quit it" kinda guy (only in regards to watches :D)

I'd have to say that brand is not really the motivator for me at the moment, as I've found that I simply prefer the 'look' of larger >42mm watches. Admittedly that was driven by my 1st purchase, a 111H , and then reinforced by a UPO, and more recently an FA Jones. I dipped my toes in the vintage Rollie world with a DRSD, but despite it being an extremely pleasing watch, design-wise, it just looked wrong on my wrist, so it was recently sold. If the rep makers could produce a fantasty large sized DRSD, say 44/45mm, I'd be tempted..............I think the design would benefit from a slight increase in scale. (I'm sure I'll be shot to pieces for such a suggestion)

Having said all that, brand is still a factor, and there are some brands that I (probably) wouldn't buy, based on my own perception of them, which is composed of such variables as material (not a gold fan), brand integrity (are they just 'fashion' driven, or do they innovate?), and embellishment/decoration (no diamonds, toys, useless funcitons, etc,). I'd have to say that Breitling, until recently, were in that camp, as I considered most of their range a bit too 'bling'.........but I am sorely tempted by a Navtimer, particularly on a leather strap ;)

I'll have to stop there, as I feel that I'm apt to ramble off at a tangent if I continue. I'm supposed to be working, goddamit, but keep switching screens to RWG, and writing this post , so it's suffering from continuity.......

prof

If this counts as a niche I'd say my niche is GMT watches. I only have 3 reps so far (I'm new) but they're all GMTs, and I have no desire to purchase a rep that isn't a GMT. I've read all about how bad these hacked up modified for GMT movements are but so far I haven't had any problems.

While I am a Rolex lover at heart, I do try to even out my collection and explore other brands.. I have purchased a Patek, Omega, Breitling, and even Panerai over the past few months and enjoyed each thoroughly. I do not mod the watches, and I never will... because I'm just not very handy!

I tend to like watches as opposed to brands. Having said that, I have six sports Rolexes including 2 MBK watches, five Panerais, but no Davidsens, a few IWCs, Breitlings and an Omega.

When my MBK 1665 or 1680 is finally finished (will they ever be?) then one or both will join my major rotation cycle which is generally Super-Reps. Does this mean I'm a quality freak? Is that my niche?

I still like to think of it as the kind of targeted variety that comes from merely having good taste. :D

Once again great thread idea Mezz,

I guess I'm not that much of a "brand person", either. But I have an obsession with certain models, such as the Rolex GMT Master. I sold all my previous ones and I'm now waiting for the "final" version of this watch from bklm. Something that I can keep for good, something that doesn't have small but annoying flaws that resulted me to sell my old reps.

While I have never fallen into the trap of "buying everything" I always wanted the best available rep version of the watches I love. But I will never pay $800 or $900 for ANY replica, that much is certain. That's just insane. I think $350 is pushing it already. I once paid about 550€ for my modded MBW and I don't think it was worth it. But that's just me.

The "mainstream" brands, Rolex, Omega, Breitling and TAG all interest me a lot... something about certain models just "do" it for me, it's impossible to explain. On the other hand IWC's rarely have the same effect, although I admire IWC... it's certainly an amazing watch brand, and I could imagine myself buying a IWC eventually. But not a PAM, never. You know how I feel about PAMs... I respect PAMs... very original and nice watches, but it's the same kind of respect that you have for very nice (but ugly) women. You can be good friends with them, but there simply can't be the "flame"... :lol:

I always purchase bulky sports watches. Mainly because I'm tall and big and wear sporty clothes most of the time... those kind of watches simply suit for me the best. There are certain watches that I really, really admire... like the AP Royal Oak chrono, VC Overseas and some Pateks and Breguets, but I don't want to buy such reps because pricing of the gens is so much overboard for a normal person. I only buy reps that I could realistically purchase as gens... steel Rolex, TAG, Breitling, Omegas...

I'm also a HUGE fan of Zenith Flyback Rainbow and Ebel 1911 BTR. Those two watches again fall into the same category with my other purchases: rather bulky and colorful sports watches. Too bad there are no reps of these.

I'm extremely happy with my "core collection". At the moment I only have 6 watches!!! I think I'll aim at 8 or 9, max. Best quality, and regular wear for all of them. I've never wanted to collect things that I don't use. This is the exact reason why I divorced my first wife in 2001.

Edited by By-Tor

By-Tor, I've started moving in the direction of keeping fewer watches too. For me, there's no point in having more than maybe 5 watches. I could justify having a couple more for specific purposes- a dress watch, or something in a different 'niche' than the bulk of my collection. But otherwise, I feel my ideal number is around 5.

Having any more of that would require me to sacrifice quality in the other watches. If you figure it in terms of a fixed budget (something I do very poorly with), if you only have $1000 to put into a collection, it makes you have to make certain concessions.

For example, I could get one super-modded to near-gen MBW's, or one Rose Gold/ceramic HBB...but then there would be little variety to keep things fresh.

Or, I could buy 7 asian cheapies, and max out my bang-for-the-buck type of scenario....but then I think you end up in a situation where you probably only wear the four best ones with real frequency, and none of them are probably real treasures, in terms of your level of satisfaction with each of the individual watches.

So those are some price niche's...that go beyond just brand allegiance or style preference. Personally, I think my best bet is to try to go with three super-reps in that budget range, if I'm someone starting out or if I decide to instill a strict budget.

When I first started out, I probably would've leaned towards going with one five hundred dollar super-rep (HBB), and then just made my exit.

Now I'm much more inclined to go with super-reps only. Every watch I own will be a 'super-rep' very shortly. That's my new philosophy. That's my niche.

So those are some price niche's...that go beyond just brand allegiance or style preference. Personally, I think my best bet is to try to go with three super-reps in that budget range, if I'm someone starting out or if I decide to instill a strict budget.

Just three? I think I could go for three, as long as they're not always the same three. :D

305301-438.jpg

I see three watches as an absolute minimum. :Jumpy:

Just three? I think I could go for three, as long as they're not always the same three. :D

305307-436.jpg

I see three watches as an absolute minimum. :Jumpy:

I truly think I could be happy with three reps. For me, I would pretty content with a HBB, Steefish and a Cousteau.

I feel there's a law of diminishing returns. You have to look at it in terms of the wrist-time that each additional watch takes away from your other watches- that was the round-about point I was trying to make in the other post, but it didn't really capture that aspect.

You have to consider that each additional watch actually takes away from your 'best' watches. Something Sql said resonated with me, on that level, and I think it applies to the super-reps. He said that once he got the HBB, he didn't buy any more reps for 6 months, and I'm guessing he also probably sold some of his other reps.

If you have one rep that is well-above the rest of your collection, what's the point in wearing the inferior ones? That's the way that the super-reps have changed my collecting- and I think that they've changed all our collecting in that sense.

When I got my HBB, I seriously considered selling the rest of my reps and just wearing that one watch. That would go against the grain of most collectors, being that it runs counter to the very idea of 'collecting'....but collecting reps is not the same as collecting gens. Although gens differ in quality- they don't differ to the degree that the super-reps differ from some of their predecessors.

Now, I could sell every one of my reps other than the HBB and the Cousteau, and be relatively content. Even watches like the uPO that are still really good...or the Tag Link Chrono, don't really do it for me. I can see if you have broad tastes, and you want to have a diver, a chrono, a dress watch, etc...

But why on earth would I put my Tag Link Chrono on, if I have a HBB and a Cousteau sitting in the watch box?

My niche? Stainless Steel GENs. But slowly hammered into the awareness that there are some GENs I will never find. Or if I do find one, the funds will likely be tied up in something else when it appears so that someone else will snatch it away. So, modern - GEN. Vintage - tweek my own super-REPs. Stainless Steel, bracelet. With the occasional YG/WG/PLAT or TT exception. Something even more rare in my niche/collection than OTS (Other Than Stainless)??? Straps.

@mezz: I agree that 5 would be the ideal amount of watches. But I simply can't narrow it to 5. I own reps that I just can't sell... they are so nice. And it often goes in cycles... my old Bond Seamaster can sit in its box for 3-4 weeks straight... but then I suddenly feel like wearing it again. Like today... it always feels like a new watch after a while.

I'm not much of a collector, either... but (imho) the Link Chrono, UPO and ETA SFSO are all collectors items for sure. Personally, I'd rather have "ultimate version" of the 42mm Planet Ocean, but that's just me.

@mezz: I agree that 5 would be the ideal amount of watches. But I simply can't narrow it to 5. I own reps that I just can't sell... they are so nice. And it often goes in cycles... my old Bond Seamaster can sit in its box for 3-4 weeks straight... but then I suddenly feel like wearing it again. Like today... it always feels like a new watch after a while.

I'm not much of a collector, either... but (imho) the Link Chrono, UPO and ETA SFSO are all collectors items for sure. Personally, I'd rather have "ultimate version" of the 42mm Planet Ocean, but that's just me.

It's funny what you said about the uPO, because I decided today that I'm selling mine. It's just too big. I have the Cousteau and the HBB, and both of those watches are similar in dimensions- but for some reason the uPO just sits SO big on my wrist...it looks a little ridiculous.

I love the Seamaster. That's a rep, not unlike the SFSO, where I don't really care how much the gen is necessarily, I'd love to see them do it properly. Maybe add a wrinkle like repping the updated model or GMT maybe...but something about that watch is timeless. It was my first rep purchase. I ended up selling it to a buddy who was absolutely mad about it, but I still love that watch...

Check out the latest addition as of today. I know you're more into the sports models....myself, I'm more into the sports chronographs- but consider this one as a potential 'dressy-sport' possibility. It has a weird-as-hell effect, whereby you're a little on the fence when you first strap it on....and then it starts to gradually work it's magic and put you under it's spell. I now understand what others had been referring to...

305771-34.jpg

It is so bizzare, Like many of you in this thread, I was crazy to amass 25 watches that I loved the look of when first getting into the rep world. Now, I too, feel as though 5 or 6 watches would be more than enough to have in my 'collection'. Currently I own 23. (Silly huh?) I used to justify this number of watches with the 'shoe' analogy...'Sure you have a lot of shoes to pick from, but you decide which pair to wear based on the occassion, or how your feeling at the moment.' Same with your watch.

As of late I have only purchased 3 watches in 2007. I haven't lost interest in beautiful watches by any means...but I have lost interest in buying reps that last a few months, and begin having mech problems. Like many, I swear I will never buy another asian 7750.

I have lost interest in really big watches. Chronos like Breitlings and Pams leave me cold. HBB has never appealed to me. 42mm to 44mm is ok I guess...but 47mm???? No thanks. Mostly I hate the fact that they are all sooooooo damn THICK. It is like wearing a hockey puck on your wrist.. My wrist is only 6 3/4''.

I have 6 Omegas. But have never wanted a PO.

I have 3 Pam's. Don't want another.

My latest purchase was the PP Nautilus. Not only is this a beautiful watch (IMO), but it is the thinnest watch I own, at approx. 9.5 mm. I LOVE this watch. Since buying it I have not worn another. I consisder wearing my 3717 occassionaly, but for one reason or another, I haven't taken of the Nautilus since I purchased it. It is perfect for me.

I live and work in an upscale atmosphere. I can actually afford a 7000.00 to 15.000 watch. That really however is not the issue. Most of the people I know wear either Rolex or TAG's, and MOST of them would not even know what a PP Nautilus is. (Or care).

The issue simply is, the PP Nautilus is a beautifully designed, comfortable, attractive timepiece. With the purchase of this watch, I kind of feel like I am done with collecting so many sport type watches.

Perhaps my next purchase might be the APRO, but who knows...the new TAG Aquaracer is a beautiful piece as well, but the fact that it is a 7750 makes me shy away.

Still my niche will always be black dialed, SS bracelets. Watches like the Submariner, the Seamaster,

and the 3717 will always appeal to me...but now that I own the MBK Nautilus...I am pretty much done.

Thanks for reading, FWIW.

Check this out......post-22-1187991218_thumb.jpg

If this counts as a niche I'd say my niche is GMT watches. I only have 3 reps so far (I'm new) but they're all GMTs, and I have no desire to purchase a rep that isn't a GMT. I've read all about how bad these hacked up modified for GMT movements are but so far I haven't had any problems.

I have lots of GMT reps.

I just wish that more GMT Panerai were available as reps.

I want a Radiomir GMT.

Badly...