When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Something old, something new...

Nanuq

WOW another new addition!! You are a lucky guy!

beautiful. Dial looks great!

Is the dial original untouched? I;ve seen a few of these that also fade to brown... (i like the black better though)

Lonnie

I also have a gen gilt dial here from the same era... I've got to decide which way to go with that.Cheers! :tu:

Would love to see the gilt dial, any chance of a swapout?

Regardless as to the rarity of mystery dial on there now, it is at least 5 years' too young for a '64 1675, judging by the elongated minute indices.

The gilt dial would set this off perfectly IMO.

Would love to see the gilt dial, any chance of a swapout?

Regardless as to the rarity of mystery dial on there now, it is at least 5 years' too young for a '64 1675, judging by the elongated minute indices.

The gilt dial would set this off perfectly IMO.

Congratulations on a very nice find! I've got to side with Doc on this one-gilt dial all the way.

@Doc, did your research come up with anything else about this unusual dial? The gilt is MUCH more aged and it would fit the overall character of the worn case and darker hands better.

Yes, I have indeed got an interesting find for you Nanuq from a dealer here in the UK, something which confirms your suspicions...

Look familiar??? And dial confirmed as original. So your dial is a bit of an Ashton Kutcher, about 15 years too young :whistling:

305794-31.png

And a comparison shot side-by-side in case there's any doubt...

305794-32.png

Almost-last serial 1675 prior to introduction of the c.3075/16750. So perhaps just our mutual friend 'Siegfried' in Geneva playing around with dials one bored Friday afternoon??? Would not surprise me since we know Rolex at this time didn't have a clue strategically or design-wise, about how they were going to progress the evolution of the GMT. A complete balls-up really, which is why we saw the 16750 pulled within a couple of years to be replaced by the 16760, not to mention the 16700 still hanging around like a bad smell just to confuse everyone further.

Still, glad to see the pressure to go gilt is increasing, thanks Heywood.

Go on, you know what she REALLY wants to be wearing is this... :D

305794-33.jpg

I wonder how it would look with a tiny GMT hand?

@Doc did you notice the crown guards on the photo you posted? They are much more worn than mine. But mine have a lovely curved undercut to them.... I'll post some side by side photos of it and my 6536.

Yes I did as it happens, shows how much the 1675 case evolved across much of it's long lifespan. Your '64 GMT wasn't that long out of pointy CGs, and I actually prefer the early chunkier squared CGs. By the late 70s and early 80s, the various GMT models' cases were undergoing some sort of yo-yo diet, including CGs clearly.

As for an MY small hand, I think it would look bloody fantastic with that gilt dial, that would really be the icing on the already-gorgeous cake :wub:

Sadly, from an accuracy POV, tiny GMT hand = no or pointy CGs only no exceptions :(....aaah, but who gives a stuff, do it man! ;)