When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

K2222 AR-coating review

Pugwash

k2222ar3yw7.jpg

When K2222 told me of his AR, I was slightly sceptical, but was glad that someone was offering a service in the EU. Then, during an IWC discussion, I commented I was not a fan of the Ingenieur and K2222 noticed this.

He PMed me an offer that I simply could not refuse; he offered to lend me his Inge with his own AR coating on it so I could review his coating and maybe change my mind on the Inge's "oh dear, my bezel has fallen off" Gerald Genta design.

k2222ar1gk4.jpg

Well, the first thing I noticed was that he'd sent me a watch without a crystal. Realising it was an AR-coated sapphire convinced me there and then that I will be getting some of my crystals done. Yes, it really is that good.

As for the Inge, Mrs Pugwash thinks it's gorgeous, and I'm convinced it's better in reality than in photos. Will I get one? Well, I'm considering it as it's one of the watches that looks really really good with AR.

k2222ar2cy4.jpg

It's very hard to show AR-coating photographically as I can take some pics where it looks like there's no visible crystal and others where it's a blue wash. Both look wrong, so I made a little video in the hope that you can see what I'm on about.

Unfortunately, as my server is down, I have nowhere to put it. I'll attach the little SWF clip in a short while.

Conclusion:

I recommend getting at least one of your crystals done. I'm mailing off a couple of crystals on Monday. :D

Edit: Video visible offsite here. Unfortunately, RWG doesn't let me embed the clip into this post.

I definitely want my ROO coated. I'm considering getting my asian Chopard GTXL done, but it's synthetic sapphire. I am considering the idea of getting a Panerai done, even though it would be inaccurate to the gen.

I'm considering getting a Rolex done. That's how good it is. :-)

Also, one of the crystals I may send next week would be a Fortis gen's crystal or maybe a Seiko Monster. There comes a point that a mod can make something less accurate and better than gen, especially if it's something you'd do to a gen.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more likely it is I'll send something like a 187's crystal and a fantasy Chrono Avenger's as those two have an obvious need for AR.

Well, K2222.

I will second Pug about being septical when you first offered this service.

Seing Pugs photos, I must admit I was stupid to doubt about the quality you offer.

I have none of my crystals back from you yet (I just sent them in fact) but I can already second all the members saying you are a pleasure to deal with.

You've been helpfull to me already:

- You sent your own 3717 ARed crystal before I even sent mine

- Looking for a Rolie for me at your local AD

- Responding every email within hours if not minutes

So what else can I say, you are a very nice person for sure.

RWG needs more dedicated persons like you.

I sincerely hope to meet you one day.

Cheers

Stephane

I'm considering getting a Rolex done. That's how good it is. :-)

Also, one of the crystals I may send next week would be a Fortis gen's crystal or maybe a Seiko Monster. There comes a point that a mod can make something less accurate and better than gen, especially if it's something you'd do to a gen.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more likely it is I'll send something like a 187's crystal and a fantasy Chrono Avenger's as those two have an obvious need for AR.

Blasphemy! A Rolex? :huh:

I have a similar mindset when it comes to how AR improves a watches appearance. I have the perspective that, if I were the owner of the gen, I would have it done. It's a universal watch upgrade that you could always say was done special order through the manufacturer. I would restrict myself to watches for which AR was already present, to some degree or another. For example, I wouldn't do Rolex, but I would do most Pams.

I am so excited to get my Offshore's crystal coated. That's an example of a watch that should have double-AR that doesn't...not the gen or the rep. Modern watches with very large crystals need AR.

• 1 month later...