When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An open letter from Ziggy to the members of RWG.

RWG Technical

You can't give up, The Zigmeister... not only because you have helped us a lot to understand watches, but becaue no one better than you can advice us when something is not correctly done by others, or even warn us about someone trying to scam us... most of us are simple ignorants... so you have the responsibility to guide and help us. I don't see you as someone leaving alone people in need of you.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

relax - take it easy ;)

enjoy the Holidays - i fully agree with you and hope that you show

up again in January.

but i wonder really how you could stand this replica - modding/repairing thing

without a break for so long :)

so long

Frank

Thx Ziggly, I'm newbie on this forum but I already have many occasions to appreciate the quality of your posts especially your sense of details, your honesty and your ethics. I understand your frustations and your disappointment. Unfortunately, this forum is just like a mirror of the world neither better nor worst. Some members use it with bad intentions, some want to make profit (in many senses) but I want to believe that the most part of us are passionate and intellectually honest. Your departure is a big lost for the community. Have a good ride. (Sorry I've done some mistakes but I'm french).

It's always inspiring to glean information from talented people who really know their stuff inside and out, in this instance it's the watch case.

There's a similar talented individual on another forum that I frequent for double bass players, he's a luthier, and he's been known to publicly expose shoddy overpriced workmanship from other luthiers, and he takes both praise and heat for it. But the guy is really good at what he does and he sincerely wants people to be informed. The gentleman has left for periods of time, but always returned. The Zigmeister I hope you do the same.

Yes, it should be clear that Ziggy is still doing watch work. He simply finds it too frustrating to tilt at windmills here. He has told me he will post interesting projects on occasion and from my end I will continue to post new projects as they are completed. In fact, I have three going on with him as we speak which I hope to be able to post in time for Christmas. :good:

The Zigmeisters daily particpation will be greatly missed.

Fortunately he leaves a legacy of information to this group.

The knowledge that he can still help and service the needy members here that appreciate his work ethic, expertise and integrity is a bonus.

Without doubt, the single most appreciated contributor to this forum. He will be sorely missed.

As we can see he has quite a bit of love here......

I think two facts no one can disagree with are....

1. He runs a well respected small business on the forums that is highly sought after and successful.

2. He is highly regarded as an expert and master of his trade by an overwhelming majority here and has a great passion for his work.

Running a business can be tough and you have to deal with all sorts and it seems to me his life here is pretty good and support for his work is off the charts.

Leaving the forums seems a little silly and frankly a little rude since you have received so much business and support from this very community.

Seems life is pretty good here for you. Most e-business owners are not as lucky as you.

I am at a loss for words. You've got to do what you've got to do. As far as I am concerned we have lost the master. RWG is/was a special place mainly because of people like The Zigmeister. I have never had contact with him either by PM or email. He has responded to a couple of my threads - for which I am eternally grateful. I know a quality individual when I see it and he is one, no doubt. And by the way, anyone here who cannot see that could do us all a favour and leave this place for elsewhere.

I hope you find the strength to return and pass on your much needed knowledge and I thank you for the (albeit indirect) guidance you have already given me and I sincerely wish you well for the future.

Dieselpower.

PS. Thanks to you, my 1665 is now in the hands of a genuinely talented person and my terrible experience with RBJ is a distant memory. Cheers!

Leaving the forums seems a little silly and frankly a little rude since you have received so much business and support from this very community.

Seems life is pretty good here for you. Most e-business owners are not as lucky as you.

The Zigmeister has a job. Modding/servicing is a hobby he makes money out of on the side. If we were to go away tomorrow, The Zigmeister would still have enough trade to keep him going into 2009.

... and maybe you've not seen the amount of stuff The Zigmeister gave away for free. The posts explaining how all the movements worked, the tutorials, the details. If it weren't for The Zigmeister, I would never have learned what I have learned. There would be no ETA 7750 datewheel tutorial, there would be no knowledge base.

To imply The Zigmeister is rude by leaving is a slight oversight on your part. It's like a finger pointing at the moon, etc.

Well maybe that is not the right word. I just find that the community has really supported him.

I just think it is a little silly......the whole thing.

Do you not agree that he is treated quite well here?

I never implied that he does this for the money. I know he loves the hobby. He did decide to create a side business here and a lucrative one. My only point is that in business you have to deal with some wacky customers and characters. I think for the most part here though he has been met with so much appreciation and support. When you cross the line into services and business you have to have a thicker skin.

I know it is almost taboo to say but I have seen him get defensive quick with people. I just wish he would not and take it all in fun and support and value the friends and customers he has here.

My only point is a positive one. The community is great here and if you are making great side money doing what you love then I guess I fail to see the issue.

The Zigmeister has a job. Modding/servicing is a hobby he makes money out of on the side. If we were to go away tomorrow, The Zigmeister would still have enough trade to keep him going into 2009.

... and maybe you've not seen the amount of stuff The Zigmeister gave away for free. The posts explaining how all the movements worked, the tutorials, the details. If it weren't for The Zigmeister, I would never have learned what I have learned. There would be no ETA 7750 datewheel tutorial, there would be no knowledge base.

To imply The Zigmeister is rude by leaving is a slight oversight on your part. It's like a finger pointing at the moon, etc.

Well maybe that is not the right word. I just find that the community has really supported him.

Ah, I think you missed my point. :-)

The Zigmeister has supported this community more than any single other member. This is why he's treated so well.

He's the man that worked out why the seconds-at-6 mod on the Asian 7750 was dodgy. He was the man that told us how to spot Asian Unitas vs Swiss Unitas movements. He was the man that showed us why the 21,600 7750 was rubbish and why the 28,800 7750 was excellent. He was the man that showed us that the second-hand on a chronograph sometimes doesn't return because the hand isn't properly secured to the tube. He was the man that showed us what a cannon pinnion was.

That's just what I remembered off the top of my head. There's more.

Rob,

I read your post and did not read through all the replies. Two remarks from me:

- YOU are THE watch professional on this forum in my book

- You are of extreme value for this forum

Please don't feel bad because of peoples post or attitude. For each his own and I really hope to see your avatar around a lot... I usually scan posts by avatars... I always keep my eye for that first flight avatar. Thanks. Stay healthy.

You are kidding right?

Pug and you are correct....... He has given the forum perhaps more than any other member.........

but?!?!?!?!?!

You cannot even get an appointment with the guy!!!! (he is good)

He is making some nice money here and loving what he does at the same time.

100 bucks a pop for lume, 300 for a service...etc.etc.etc...... is hogwash?!?!? (great prices I think too)

If giving someone a venue to do what they love for a profit is hogwash then I have no idea what to say.

You can send some hogwash to my paypal account if you like :)

Any suggestion that the forums have supported Zig is hogwash. If anyone has benefited, its all of us, from Zigs support.

Big loss to the forum ....all the free info and modding guides are what brought me here in the first place .....searching how to change a cannon pinnion on a PAM ...and getting hooked from having success following Rob's guide...

You know the difference between a skilled craftsman and anything else when you get your first watch back from Rob.

It's a big shame that there are un-skilled people out there wanting to make a quick buck out of the un-suspecting ....but that's the same in any market where demand outstrips supply...

Needs regulating or the board stands for nothing on this...

My 2 pence

FGD

PS - Rob ...you Rule...!

:fish:

Hello all,

I just got into the rep scene about a year ago and I haven't really posted much on this forum simply because I felt overwhelmed by the breadth of knowledge many members seemed to have.

At first, it was difficult to figure out types of watches, let alone the good ones. Many of us, I'm sure, were in similar situations when we first started and we still must keep up with the current fashions and changes in horology in order to be a viable forum. Through careful research, luck, and lots of trial and error, many of us (including myself) have built up a fairly impressive collection of replica watches.

While this is all well and good, what distinguishes one replica watch from another is the care which is taken to pay homage to the genuine article and the care of the watch in general.

From The Zigmeister's avatar and words, I'm guessing he's a pilot/works in aviation and, as such, must have a steady hand, rational mind, and above all, a passion for what he does. His passion has been translated into some of the best how-to's and advice on watchmaking and servicing that I've ever read.

We must remember that those with genuine passion are generally some of the most charismatic and caring people on the planet, and it stands to reason that they feel that anything less than perfection is failure or an insult to their art. As such, it is natural that one who cares so much for his art would feel discouraged and possibly insulted by other members' words of encouragement encroaching upon his duty to be the best at his art.

While The Zigmeister's letter saddens me, the overarching principles of said letter frighten me even more: Are we slipping in terms of quality? Will there be enough information to help prevent newcomers and veterans alike from being scammed by dishonest dealers and the seemingly exponential decrease in quality control?

These questions are not mine to answer, they are the responsibility of every member on this forum. As members have mentioned in above comments, it is time for people to evaluate their roles and their contributions and really ask themselves if they are contributing to RWG as informative, collaborative members, or if they are simply looking for a scam.

I can only hope that we continue to see informative and insightful tutorials from forum members such as The Zigmeister, however I hope that this letter serves to motivate and inspire other enthusiasts to step up to the plate and really think about this not as a forum but (as corny as it may seem) as a family and a community.

I hope that RWG moves into 2008 with a clear sense of purpose and community and I also hope that those with so much passion for perfection in replicas can translate and apply that passion in the same way that The Zigmeister has. If that occurs, I have no doubt in my mind that RWG will continue to flourish and be the premier replica watch site.

-Shundi

The Zigmeister: I think you're the most important member of this community. But you can't leave, because you're a family member.

There might be some occasional family problems. It's just natural.

But this place is your home. You know the door is always open, after you decide to come back from your vacation.

Thankyou By-Tor, I couldnt have said this better myself.

I am so sorry to hear about all this bull-shyte. The Zigmeister you are so important to this forum and very important to people like me who are still learning about this hobby. Please dont forget about us. I have learned more from you than you could ever know and all my watches you have worked on are absolutely PERFECT! But i understand that we all need a break sometimes. DOnt let these fukken idiot troll losers get you down my friend. Im glad this loser was banned and trust me hes about half a step from getting banned on the RWC forum as well. Hes already acting up there too. Im so sorry but this really upsets me, and just so you know, from all of us at the other forum, RWC, please take care and happy holidays to you and your family. If there is anything that JB, D4M, me or any of the RWC staff can do, please let me know

your friend

Lonnie

I must say this was a tough read . .

I have been AWOL from the forum for quite some time. The super-reps were getting me down, dealer tricks, general confrontational attitudes and just too much time. I just started reading again today and was delighted to see we have some women participating (woo hoo!) than I had to read this.

I'll miss you The Zigmeister . . I love the tech stuff.

You have to understand that The Zigmeister's decision to leave the forum is not based on monetary means, otherwise he would still be here. There is no doubt in my mind that moderators and admin of this forum will make changes to make his return comfortable. With 2400 reads and a 100 posts in the past day, there is no doubt that we all value the contributions he has made to the forum and value his membership here. I have had over half a dozen reps worked on by him and never had a problem booking an appointment with him. With all the work he has put in, a well deserved break is justified in my opinion. We all need his head clear and mind focused when we need him to work on our precious reps :) Come back soon Rob!!

You are kidding right?

Pug and you are correct....... He has given the forum perhaps more than any other member.........

but?!?!?!?!?!

You cannot even get an appointment with the guy!!!! (he is good)

He is making some nice money here and loving what he does at the same time.

100 bucks a pop for lume, 300 for a service...etc.etc.etc...... is hogwash?!?!? (great prices I think too)

If giving someone a venue to do what they love for a profit is hogwash then I have no idea what to say.

You can send some hogwash to my paypal account if you like :)

wow, I can't believe I missed this read while I was traveling on the plane coming back to the states. I am very sad to hear about the news Rob. But again, I can certainly understand where you are coming from. getting attacked for no valid reasons, who really wants to deal with that? and I think you have a break here that is well deserved after all of your contributions. Rob is so skillful that if I would have my gens serviced by him versus taking it to the AD. not only because I know that Rob does it at a reasonable price, but he really is that knowledgeable and competent. this forum will miss you dearly, and please come back whenever you'd like, and I hope to chat with you some more on the emails side. and please don't let the some of the trolls here bring you down. have a great holiday!