When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What watch/rep you initially disliked, but later "grew on you"?

By-Tor

I never liked the Yacht-Master. I was going to just review this watch and raffle it later.

But when I got this Yachtie from Narikaa, I knew immediately that I wanted to keep it. Such a nice watch, and MUCH nicer in the flesh.

And besides, the rep is very accurate and excellent quality. Sapphire crystal, thick springbars, well defined crown, etc. My best ever budget rep without a doubt.

It's still not my #1 favorite, but definitely something I'm going to keep for good.

2-6.jpg

5-3.jpg

Any similar stories?

Easy one, i realy disliked the crownguard on every Panerai when I first saw these watches....Weird ugly thing on the side blabla.. After a couple of weeks disliking it, it turned into loving it ;) That crownguard is what makes the Panerai such a nice watch.

Switched my opinion 180degrees on this one :)

I didn't understand the fuss about the Panerai watches in general, as the dials looked so simple and the overall design of the watch looked really simple. At the time I was more into watches that had 'busy' dials and with functions such as chronos.

Then I got the Pam 111h with SS and after wearing it for a couple of days it really grew on me, my taste for simpler looking watches grew. I haven't yet dabbled with fascinating world of Panerai straps :) yet and I'm sure that once I buy some really good straps, my appreciation for the Panerai brand will grow.

As mentioned, Panerai. The first 111h I bought, I wasn't over impressed with (possibly due to the strap color) and equally, the first 127 I bought, I initially felt was too big. I would point out, that although I have no problems now wearing the 127 during the day, at night, or rather, in the dark, the huge luminous numbers in the shadow of my wrist do still appear somewhat 'oversized', but I don't care, I love it :lol:

Actually, this usually goes other way around. You initially love something but after a few months the attraction is just gone. For me, this happened with the UPO. Shame, it's such a great rep.

I have no specific example of a watch that grew on me.

It's more the other way round as a matter of fact.

The biggest surprise it the 16610.

Since I am a teenager it has allways been my dream watch.

I got almost all possible versions of the rep and since 6 months or so it declines in my dreams...

Thought the Bell & Ross watches were hideous until I bought and wore one and the same goes for the Big Bang. Really regretted spending so much on the original SS (although it seems cheap considering todays prices) but the moment I put it on I loved it.

The watch I don't care for at the moment is the Royal Oak Offshore....although I keep thinking about it....keep looking at pictures of it....keep dreaming about it (yes sad I know).

Oh dear...it'll be in my watch box within three months.

Nice thread starter, BT!

I remember having reservations about picking up my Pam 029 and did so only because it had the 2893-2 engine and the rare individually numbered correct case back. The big ugly thing is heavy, rock solid and the movement is fantastic. It can look totally different with a quick change of straps which is a nice feature.

I don't wear it much but it's a great piece that has grown on me over time. It's one of the few that in my book, would qualify as a super rep given it uses the same moment as the gen.

pam029b11121en6.jpg

pam0291vx6.jpg

Didn't like at first but grew on my once I got it.....I'm with Pugwash on the 187. Too big, dicy Chrono...

Eventually sold it though

pam187wristsoldbi9.jpg

Second place goes to the Patek Aquanaut - Too small...ugly dial.....Cheezy rubber strap.....

Now I am completely anamoured with it, go figure ^_^

patekphillipeaquanautdana9.jpg

Going the other way, I came to the forums 4 years ago looking for an SD but grew tired of it over time....TW Best Rolex 1660 Sea Dweller from the legend, EL

Good but all the forum modding talk convinced me that it needed work to be a keeper...

Traded it and it is now with the master Ziggy

rolextwbestsdwristsoldii0.jpg

Hmmm, I'd say the IWC Ingy. I did not like it but I ended up getting it and LOVED it. Then I grew tired of it and sold it. . . now I miss it. :bangin: It was spot on as far as appearance, had the heft and feel of a gen. Solid ETA movement. With a date wheel swap and a little lume on the dial - it was about as perfect a rep as I think is out there. Don't see many of them these days, must have lost their luster.

P1010014.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010490.jpg

Ing16.jpg

For me not many grow on me, I know on day one if I'll like it or not. Having said that, it works the other way quite often.

PAM 183 & Omega Moon are two that come to mind. Sold them both as I wasn't crazy about them. The 183 just didn't look right on me, the Omega moon was too obvious as a rep. If you've handeled or owned a gen Omega - it is blatently obvious. I had a gen Omega SMP and that is the watch I most regret selling (and my Davidsen 113).

P1000629.jpg

P1010001.jpg

113Black.jpg

Sadly, my 005 is now gone too!

DSC05752.jpg

005.jpg

As is this 089:

0897.jpg

All that is left is this:

P1010834.jpg

DSC06055.jpg

P1010318.jpg

GMT.jpg

GMTVintage.jpg

P1010296.jpg

Edited by WatchDude

1meditatingsantosborderoc2.jpg

Most surprising has to be this Cartier Santos. I never in my life thought I would ever buy a Cartier watch, but this was a pleasant surprise. I bought it by accident because the Franck Muller I wanted was out of stock, but having already paid, I needed to pick something as a replacement. I thought "what the heck" and got this. It looks really good on me, and its definitely one of the more "believable" and "recognizable" piece in my collection. If I want to go somewhere and don't want to stand out from the crowd or look overly affluent, this is the timepiece I choose.

dsc06875uy4.jpg

Yup. It didn't long for me to fall victim to RWG's strong Panerai peer pressure. After weeks of protesting dislike for the brand, I went ahead and purchased this "valu" model for just $98. I love it, it's a great watch to strap on when there's bad weather or you're going to a place where you know someone will take pictures. It's just so... big... it really feels superb. The power reserve feature is something every single watch should have.... I love to know how much wind is left in the spring... its really great to be able to do so with this particular watch. And to think, I once called it "over hyped" and "ugly"! No way!

Everything else I bought because I knew I would like it. The Patek Nautilus was a little hard for me, because of the price, but gosh you know it's really built solid. After a few weeks of wearing my Nautilus I tried on my sub, and the difference was catastrophic. The bracelet and clasp on the Chinese-built sub was just so light and flimsy... like it was held together with bubblegum and poo. The Patek Nautilus is like an American car from the 1970s. Tough, built to last, with everything fitting in the right place and a joy to look at from every angle.

i'll pile on with dluddy and pugwash on this one -- at first i didn't see what people were so worked up about the pam 187....then slowly i started to get the itch.....then i saw one go up on the trading boards for a steal and well, the rest is history. i put it on a europelli shell cordovan vintage caramel strap and couldn't believe how much i liked it.

200438-1774.jpg

deltatahoe

Good thread, By-Tor, and I've always looked at the yachtmaster and wondered whether I shouldn't give the asian version a go.

Wrist time is at a premium under my more 'mature' phase of rep collecting...I'm hoping to get my collection down to 5 or 6 watches that I view as long term time pieces that I want to keep forever. Strangely enough, out of the 5 core watches that I know I want to keep, two of them are modded MBW vintage rollies. I had very little interest in Rolex in general until I started get hooked on the history behind the sub and SD.

There's no question about the common status attributed to Rolex by the non-WIS public. That isn't what appeals to me, in fact, it's what kept me from having much interest in their smaller watches for so long. It's the hobbyist aspect of being able to search for gen parts, deciding what is important for you, in terms of trying to balance $$ against need. Most people simply do not engage themselves to that degree in their decision to purchase a watch, even a gen, and therefore they usually do not end up saturated in the process of learning about the ground-up construction of the watch on their wrist.

The vintage rollies are the only Rolex watches that I feel are truly convincing. I know it's a controversial statement, but if you're lucky enough to be able to swap out those dials for either a gen or very good re-dial, then you're stepping outside of most people's frame of reference about what typically looks like a fake watch.

I think for me to wear a rolex, I'm hyper-critical of some of the flaws, and I have very little interest in their modern models. The problem is that they are very expensive relative to other reps, once they've been modded to where they need to be.

That says nothing about the 'journey' of getting there- finding the right vintage insert to give it the right look (off a '73 red sub for my SD that makes the watch), to all the actual work involved in drilling lug holes and crown tubes, and shaving dials and crown guards, swapping movements and datewheels, crystals, crowns/tubes...

DSC00660.jpg

DSC00651.jpg

1- Panerai: For all the reasons every member stated. I thought they were hideous, then I was attracted to them, I got one, and promptly got 10 more. I'm on 17 now. There should be a study about people's sudden volte face on Panerai watches, one day. It's weird.

pam112oemrubberdiverducmi5.jpg

2- Omega Planet Ocean: My next sudden dislike-turned-to-like. I thought the pumpkin PO a gaudy, tacky watch. When a 42.5mm version became available at a reasonable price, I got it, and really, it's my go-to-watch when I just need to pop down to the market, or pick up my post. The PO will not let you down.

pumpkinpowristieuv6.jpg

3- Hublot Big Bang: It looked like a Big Bust. Then I got one. Magnifico.

hbbwhitemagicwed00de3.jpg

Honourable mention, Rolex: Yes! I never wanted a rep, but suddenly I have a craving for them. I think the GMT II Coke turned the tide, though it wasn't even for me.

Still don't like the Grahams, lads, sorry.

Easy...any Rolex. I was opposed to them on principle and thought they were butt ugly to boot. In fact, my avatar photo was intended as a subtle comentary on what a 'real' timepiece should be, as opposed to the current models. But, I started liking the vintage models, tried one, and discovered they look darn good on the wrist. So, I'm a convert.

DSC05752.jpg

Nevertheless great photo! (Great post too, with loads of illustrations; a lot of other good posts too).

To be absolutely specific, my first Panerai like TeeJay's was a bust: Paul's wonky Mini-Fiddy. It says a LOT for the marque that the watch still attracted the heck out of me, despite its flaws.

The one I wanted after that was the 005...but I got Andrew's 111h instead. Guys, my heart skipped a beat when I unravelled his package containing the lowly, unmodded 111. It was that beautiful. I have opened dozens of packages containing watches, but that original heart flutter remains unbeaten.

BTW, I may like big watches like the HBB and PAMs, but there are some watches I feel I cannot wear, as they are too masculine. If other ladies do, brilliant, more power to them.

But I look at the Ingy, and the AP ROO with something approaching wistfulness.

Those watches REALLY are growing on me, but I just can't pull them off. Takes a more sporty woman than I am perhaps. Or a more butch one. :p