When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Changes to my participation here, being curtailed.

RWG Technical

Due to changes at work and various commitments at home, (as well as spending far too much time here), I have to limit my participation on RWG.

At best I expect to be able to spend a bit of time here a few days per week, on the weekends I won't be logging in at all.

I can't be acting as a consultant on PM or Emails for anyone anymore. These types of messages are getting way out of hand - again, and the only solution I know of, is to ignore them. Some members (once they get my email address), hound me and my assistant to no end, in the high double and even triple digits of messages asking for my input on everything you can imagine, ...it's really getting to be a huge burden on our time. What starts out as being polite and lending a hand, turns into a monster.

The worse was over 135 emails over 6 months for a simple job and the return of a broken watch (the owner decided to NOT have me fix it). To make matters worse, after it was all said and done and we returned the watches, the owner emailed my associate and crapped on her for returning his broken watch, which still didn't work! :blink:

I will try and offer help with topics that interest me on the forum, mainly repair and tech questions.

We have also updated our capabilities list, (no price increases!), everything you need to know about us is covered in detail, the goal is that the pdf doc will avoid having to answer so many questions relating to our services.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between consulting questions, and normal expected questions regarding work you may need done, or options, or clarification on certain things.

Thanks for your understanding.

RG

Yikes...that story about the person with over 135 emails is grossly inappropriate.

I think this thread is well-timed, and not just because it's The Zigmeister who is bringing it to attention. There's something that has happened to us culturally as a whole with the advent of electronic communication- and I don't think it's all for the good. I was talking in another thread about some of the challenges in doing business via the internet as a medium. In some ways it's a tremendous benefit because of the openness of the market, and at the same time, people price-fixate in this type of environment, and they also have almost zero ability to delay gratification.

I'll only deal with established members, if at all possible, for this reason.

well... i actually had my first pm excange with The Zigmeister yesterday to explain what i wanted done and he gave me some great news as to what is possible.... i personally still need one or two parts so he won't hear from me until the project is ready to go to him to be completed....

if we do not treat others well in this hobby, our enjoyment of the hobby will suffer for it... a lot of people, including The Zigmeister, put a lot of time and effort into this thing of ours for not that much compensation when you really think about it... we should respect those efforts by not kicking the tires so much and always being courteous.....

135 communications? unbelievable....

Yup over 135 emails is downright sick. When someone comes into my store and continues and continues to ask questions I simply ask are you ready to book an appt or are you just gathering information? I wonder sometimes if this is rude but in the end we are all in business to make money not be a free encyclopedia right?

The Zigmeister, I hope these few bad transactions dont push you further away from the hobby and like someone said maybe it is time to get a new email address?

The Zigmeister,

could you please PM or allow me to PM you, I would like to send you a very polite message inquiring for a future appointment.

I have all of the parts ready to go, and will value your time and do highly respect your expertise.

Just need to send you 1 message, whichwill list all of the details.

Cheers,

M

Keep in mind that there is a difference between consulting questions, and normal expected questions regarding work you may need done, or options, or clarification on certain things.

RG

Couldn't agree more than that.

The Zigmeister is at first a watchsmith, who sell his service (and of course, we all know, he has a good competence in rep ASIAN watch/Mvt).

His only responsibility his to maintain communication for the work to do on your watch, t h a t ' s i t. The rest, sharing idea, hint, oponion, etc. it's NOT his responsibility, and a seller (of services in this case) can stop exchanging at any moment with a client that want to suck too much of his time.

I have changed my email address on a regular basis, that doesn't help as I normally keep the old address forwarded to the new one, for the sake of older established clients... I have a new system in place for emails, if my associate doesn't get the new email address from me, she doesn't answer it. Done to avoid exactly what lordrasta points out above...

To add insult to injury, the 135+ email fellow accused me of "...rushing him, and not giving him enough information to make an informed decision..." whew, some days I wonder.

Anyway that's it from me for the weekend, time to clean up and take my associate out for dinner.

RG

The worse was over 135 emails over 6 months for a simple job and the return of a broken watch (the owner decided to NOT have me fix it). To make matters worse, after it was all said and done and we returned the watches, the owner emailed my associate and crapped on her for returning his broken watch, which still didn't work! :blink:

Just for the record....I think it was 132 emails, Zig....but anyhow...my fault...my fault....won't happen again.... :lol:

^_^

What was the old saying my Mother used to say,

" Start how you intend to continue "

135 emails, .......... its a wonder the person didnt send themselves one,

when it was time to go for a crap.

Guest carlsbadrolex

No offense to anyone... But didnt I read a very similar post about two months ago? Come on people, leave the guy alone... I can also relate to the email situation... I get between 150 and 200 emails requiring action of some sort EVERY DAY. Imagine what my Mondays are like when I have other plans over the weekend.

Edited by carlsbadrolex

once again.. an example of abusing a good thing...when i send parcels to Ziggy i don't bother to check with tracking or Ziggy.. that equates to "trust" .. Ziggy has a long before Me .. track record of efficient and honourable horology work.. Good,.. qualified Horologist are trust worthy.. and IMHO .. i am not even concerned with the time frame.. that said.. has anyone ever had a problem with Ziggy.. Ziggy usaually fixes "our" problems..

gotta respect that..it's not like going to have your bracelet sized.. as most "watch smiths" can do only that nowdays ... oh yeah and change batteries

Value Added = Ziggy and J**.

ok i understand your pain The Zigmeister.. but out of a question tho.. i still have my watch with you atm.. and it's still haven't finished yet.. if i want extra work done to it do i contact the same email as before (jen's email?) or what? and will i get an update from you when it is finished? so i can tell you which shipping method i pick? thanks man

ok i understand your pain ziggy.. but out of a question tho.. i still have my watch with you atm.. and it's still haven't finished yet.. if i want extra work done to it do i contact the same email as before (jen's email?) or what? and will i get an update from you when it is finished? so i can tell you which shipping method i pick? thanks man

Of course you can send an email to J, not a problem, we will continue to update everyone on email as we always have when we are finished the work, and of course let you choose the shipping method you want etc... or send you a message if we have a question...

I am not referring to normal expected emails and messages, but those that cross the line and become a burden.

RG