When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The end of the big watch?

freddy333

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You contradict yourself and prove the very point I was about to make: Rules about case diameters are silly because they ignore CONTEXT. They is a very wide range in the circumference of the male wrist and what looks large on one may look small on another. About the only generalization that can be made is that conservative or "classic" styles tend to reject extremes (whereas trends embrace them) - but what is extreme on one wrist may be just right on another. A 39mm case on my wrist looks classic but on another it could look small.

Dragging a post out from the dead, but looks like GQ got this one wrong. Big watches are here to stay for a while to come - 42/44mm is the new 38.

Size matters....but they can get too big (50mm and larger watches/Clocks are just way too large to be desireable in 99 out of 100 cases)

003-7.jpg

same goes for organs....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9SlYS77Pdxg/SYvVoChZdGI/AAAAAAAABtU/sbzvsGCunZk/s1600/size.matters.jpg

I definitely think context is the most crucial factor. Touching back onto the subject I raised the other day about what to wear to a friend's wedding reception being a prime example. For day to day wear, the 42mm Heritage is an absolutely awesome watch. It's clear and easy to read at a glance, the case is very rugged and durable, it goes with just about any clothing, and of course, being a stopwatch (with timing bezel as well) it is very practical (I would consider it a "Diver's Stopwatch" rather than a 'Racing Chronograph') If I was going out for the evening to a bar, I would probably keep it on with a nice shirt, but for a more formal occasion, it's just too big, and a 36mm DateJust is much more subtle and suitable. To be honest, a DJ is a great watch for most occasions, but of course, I wouldn't consider it as useful as the Heritage... The context and circumstances of use/wear, definitely play a major part in what is or is not 'too big'... :)

The context and circumstances of use/wear, definitely play a major part in what is or is not 'too big'... :)

Yes I agree but I am just almost never in a context that will allow me to wear a 50+mm watch

i guess i am wrong :black_eye:

my smallest watch is a pam217, i have a breit SA, an oris Prodiver, and just purchased a gen u-boat flight deck 55mm. :whistling:

Sorry :cry2: .....obviously 55 will look fine on you

You have the correct context and circumstances :good:

Dragging a post out from the dead, but looks like GQ got this one wrong. Big watches are here to stay for a while to come - 42/44mm is the new 38.

Yes and No. The designs you speak of, especially Rolex, were on the drawing board pre-recession/pre-GQ/Esquire/WSJ articles regarding the fasion sense to downsize.

What is in the market supply chain right now is not necessarily proof positive.

A local AD/Watchsmith whom I befriended was at Basel this year. The TREND he saw was to go small again. This largely comes from the Swiss looking at the Chinese/Asian markets as their new bread and butter. (The US/Western Market does not seem to be their priority). The fact is, most Chinese do not have 8" or even 7+" wrists to pull off the larger designs.

There will still be larger watches, and larger watches still make sense to those with larger wrists. I think the crux of the downsize tread means the days of wearing 44mm+ bling on your 6.5" to 7" wrist, or with a suit, may "not be fashionable".

Whatevs...I have a 6.75" wrist and I've rocked a 50mm U-BOAT for about a year. I say go with whatever you like the best.

Hey Ronin...I'm still loving the modded BS that I bought from you! I'm taking it with me on vacation next week...

Nothing is more frustrating that wanting to wear a specific watch and you can’t because it doesn’t fit under your shirt cuff. Here are some simple how to instructions to modify the button to give some room for larger watches. It is not difficult and like everything else gets easier with practice.

Tools:

1. Needle, thread and something to cut the thread with.

58ffb45a.jpg

fcb5dbff.jpg

Step 2.

Remove the existing button. Pretty simple.

fe9bac3c.jpg

Step 3.

OK, this is where it gets difficult. Basically we are going to reattach the button, but instead of putting it right against the shirt, we are going to extend the length of thread connecting the button to the cuff. Use something to act as a spacer. Here I am using a marker pen that will give 2-3 cm in length between the button and the cuff.

First poke the needle through the underside of the cuff and pull all the way through. You can use the same holes from the original button setting. Then thread the needle through one of the button holes. Place your spacer against the cuff over the intended location of the button. Slide the button all the way down to the spacer. Poke the needle through the opposite button hole, put it around the spacer and then poke through the cuff to the underside. Pull tight to help secure.

b28b2571.jpg

Now push the needle again through the underside of the cuff, go around the outside of the spacer and put through a new button hole. Cross over to the opposite button hole and then go around the spacer again and then push through the shirt cuff.

Repeat this process a whole bunch of times. I would guess 10-15 times. Continue until there is a mass of thread similar to what is on the original button. With each pass it will get easier because things will be more secure.

Step 4

When you decide that you have done enough you want to end with the thread through the button, but not pushed through the cuff. You want the needle and thread on the same side as the button. Pull the spacer out and it will look like this.

Repeat this process a whole bunch of times. I would guess 10-15 times. Continue until there is a mass of thread similar to what is on the original button. With each pass it will get easier because things will be more secure. Step 4 When you decide that you have done enough you want to end with the thread through the button, but not pushed through the cuff. You want the needle and thread on the same side as the button. Pull the spacer out and it will look like this.

0523d5e5.jpg

04896b28.jpg

And here is a demonstration with the largest watch I have. The case is 15 mm thick and fits easily under this cuff.

ff3438dd.jpg

So I did this to a couple of shirts several months ago as pilots. My shirts are laundered and pressed at the cleaners and the buttons have held up fine. I think when it is buttoned, the extra thread is hardly noticeable, especially if you use a matching color to the shirt. One trade off is that when you are not wearing something thick like a quartz, the cuff will slip down farther on your hand than the other cuff.

Good luck!

To paraphrase the old saw, sometimes, YOU wear the watch &, sometimes, the watch WEARS you.

Big watches (44mm+), like 20" subwoofers coupled to 2,000 watt amps in a car, are much too loud. And, while there is something to be said for knowing how/when to break (fashion) rules, most of the established purveyors of modern men's style declared the end of the big watch years ago. And for the same reason - big watches are too loud.

In addition to my original post, I offer this & this. Of course, to each his own.

It has been said that you can tell the most about a man by the kind of watch he wears, so think about that when you go into a job interview or client meeting. You want to exude confidence and class, not look like you just got off the train from Jersey.

I like that line. For some reason, I have always associated big watches with the guido fashions, like ed hardy and fake tans. I think it's because the trends started around the same time, and they both are very 'in your face'.

I have been wearing large watches for many years. I could care less what the fashionista's tell me I should be wearing. That said I have found my interests in big Panerai's and Brietlings start to shift more towards vintage Rolex models. This is due in large part because of the very active and informative Rolex section of this forum.

Big watches (44mm+), like 20" subwoofers coupled to 2,000 watt amps in a car, are much too loud.

This quote is subjective and purely based on individual opinion. I would say a quote like that would apply to your "Ice Bangs" and Blinged out Brietlings NOT to a Subzilla or a Fiddy even less so to a clean PAM 111.

Oddly enough... The last 3 watches that I built were (2) 36mm pieces and a 37mm.

...But I do have a 44mm in the works...

And I do have a number of 42mm pieces in th watch box (along with 40mm and some 44mm).

Some days, going big is okay. And some days, I like to fly under the radar. I think it's nice to have something for most any occassion. Variety (and versatility) is always a good thing :)

I go from 43mm-48,I just dont feel comfortable with anything bigger. The guys that I find silly are the 50mm-60mm Invicta or tv brand watch guys,most of those things are just big for bigs sake,no substance Imo. One of my favorite watches Is my Breitling SA,a classy piece of rea estate. The size of a person also comes Into play. I saw this guy while shopping a few months back,he was about 5ft6/150lbs with a 50mm plus Invicta or something along those lines. I was bitting my lip to keep from laughing. :lol: The case of the dam watch was almost as big as his hand. Im around 6ft/185lbs,so 48mm is on the cusp of what I feel looks In propportion with my size. The man should make the watch Imho.

• 4 weeks later...

I find it is fairly funny to talk about watch trends in respect to "oversized" watches such as 127 or U-boats -- specially as these draw on designs from some 70-80 years ago. If they haven't gone out of fashion so far, why expect this to happen next year?

The difference is that they were work instruments then and would never be worn as daily wear.

Next fashion item, a drill???