When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Favourite Tag

By-Tor

I do like some Tag Heuer designs a lot (Aquaracer, Monza, Monaco, Carrera chrono, F1).

At the same time I hate Kirium, 2000 and 6000 series.

Link's dial is great but the bracelet screws up the watch.

So in the end I find it hard to justify their prices.

Tag Heuer watches are not cheaper than Omega but its brand value is lower.

They use a lot of quartz.

Can anybody compare Omega's co-axial caliber with Tag Heuer's caliber 36?

Actually I have a 2000€ budget to buy a gen and was thinking of Omega but... still hesitating... How about Tudor, Oris, Tag Heuer... What woul you suggest.

Thanks for your help.

No comparison between the standard TAG movements and the Omega Co-Axials. The accuracy, and more time between service requirements alone make the Omegas stand out. And let's be honest. The TAG's can be gitten much cheaper than most comparable Omegas so teh comparison isn't really fair.

TAG does very little to modify the movements they use. The standard link uses a 7750 (Calibre 16 28,800vph) and the Calibre 36 is a Zenith based El Primero movement bumped up to 36,000vph. Both are very trustworthy movements (as we know) but the Zenith is surely superior. Most TAGs are not chronometers, and this will be reflected in the accuracy..but TAG sure knows how to make a good looking watch. They make a few of my absolute favorite designs.

True, TAGs don't have the reputation of Omega, Rolex, etc...but they are far more recognizeable to most people. More people notice them. Also, just because they make a lot of quartz watches doesn't make their automatics inferior. they use the same tried and true movements most other mfgrs use. the lower price makes them a great candidate for a first Gen.

Didn't Heuer invent the built in winding crown?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice to see some Tag fans and as you say these watches

are vastly underated by most watch officianados

Sad really, as there are some very nice pieces out there.

Ihave a gen carrera chrono, silver face caliber 16

93316-27763.jpg

The main reason for posting is to get you guys opinion on this piece

rep or gen , approx age version etc ... I`ll call it the Tag Test :unsure:

93316-27764.jpg

93316-27765.jpg

93316-27766.jpg

93316-27767.jpg

93316-27768.jpg

have fun

I'll call quartz rep on that second TAG pictured. Two 60 dials sounds like a Miyota OS10 or OS20 quartz chrono.

I don't think I've seen a watch like that with a link bracelet either. Also, the bracelet should have two separate pieces per link. On this one that is simulated.

Edited by Category 5

Both correct :3a:

@category5 Great call on the movement it is indeed an 0s10

All subdials work, running secs @6...minutes@9 and 24hr @3

also working hack function

waterproof.............like a caulender :D

Manufactured by C. HING Co. China

japanese movement, chinese dial

Ive had this for nearly six years, and it has performed without fault

even after being flooded due to some bath diving. 1 battery change is the only maintenance

apart from a good dry out. :blink:

Got it at Inca market in Majorca for the costly sum of £25.

(after a good barter session down from £100 !!!!!!!)

The market is a classic ,"looky looky mister you wanna buy a watch" place with mostly leather pottery and watches

This watch is the first rep I ever purchased being some 5 yearsbefore I discovered RWG/RWI

now im poor !

Out of interest does anyone have any idea as to which model this piece is loosely based on ?

Thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...

i have been waiting for a nice black MONACO for awhile... however non chrono monacos can be had for less than 1500usd. so i will eventually get a non chrono monaco =) plus these have PLEXIglas so maybe 2200USD for the chrono is not smart because the first time it gets marked i would think of replacing it. j

• 2 months later...
In 1985 I opened a magazine and saw a picture of the (Pre Tag) Heuer 2000 Chronograph.

I bought it 2 hours later. :wub:

The old band wore out long ago due to the pounding it got. I replaced it with a hidden hasp Hirsch president band that has an H on the clasp so it looks factory. It has never missed a beat.

I even have the box and the cardboard sleeve the box fits in.

I don't even mind that's it's "Quartz". B)

I already feel like an idiot for asking this, but what happened to the crown? In the arm shots it's missing. . . :g:

i have been waiting for a nice black MONACO for awhile... however non chrono monacos can be had for less than 1500usd. so i will eventually get a non chrono monaco =) plus these have PLEXIglas so maybe 2200USD for the chrono is not smart because the first time it gets marked i would think of replacing it. j

This is the one i`m waiting for. Would buy it instantly (a rep)

post-41-1161800617_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'd love a decent Monaco rep (in fact I've got one of the cheap reps of this watch on order). McQueen Blue would be perfect for me. Could any of the dealers around here make overtures to the factories making the best reps that a Monaco would be a good seller?

Why not buy the damn thing... you're obsessed by this watch BT :bangin: Besides that it's only Euro 1200,- new (high discounts through Internet) ... no need to wait for the rep IMO!

Lately Tag H. reps are probabily the most accurate, it wouldn't be a big deal buying the genuine just before the release of a almost perfect replica. ;)

Lately Tag H. reps are probabily the most accurate, it wouldn't be a big deal buying the genuine just before the release of a almost perfect replica. ;)

A replica is and stays a replica.... I have a genuine Breitling Steelfish and believe, no rep (even Angus' version) can ever compete. If you own a genuine high-end watch you'll know. Sure reps come close but they just don't give you the same feeling!

Wearing watches is not only a fashion or status statement, it's an emotion!

Edited by Rolexman

• 3 weeks later...