When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What watch would you buy for $5K?

dylan

So my watch nut friends....

What's the most watch for $5K? Doesn't have to be brand new....we're trying to pack in as much

watch for the dollar as possible.

Also, I've read bruce79's thread on watches from $2K - $4K...

Throw them out there...I know Robbieg will say UN Maxi Marine Diver...I know Pizzanooo will say

the Glashutte Sport Evo... :)

Rack that brain of yours...

ALSO: Here's the other criteria...this watch is coming from my mother-in-law...and out of her personal

pride she wants to know that when I'm walking around and someone says...'Nice watch'...I'll be like

'Yea...I got it from my mother-in-law'

So the watch needs to have a certain amount of prestige to it...

OH: And I already asked..I'm not allowed to divide up the money and buy 15 reps...LOL...

Its only 1 watch...I tried getting at least 2-3 gens out of that money...Maybe like 1 midrange watch + 2 less expensive

watches...My wife almost killed me when I mentioned these options...screaming about "You don't know how

to appreciate gifts"...."This isn't about money"....

So 1 watch guys...Oh...and I'm a movement freak...

Anyways...I'm off...I'll check back later...

@Robbieg: I'll be checking out the UN

@Piz: I'll be checking out the Glashutte

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the most watch for $5K? Doesn't have to be brand new....we're trying to pack in as much

Throw them out there...I know Robbieg will say UN Maxi Marine Diver...I know Pizzanooo will say

Dress or sport? New or would you consider used? Pre-owned anything would give you the best value. Pre-owned Rolex or Pam's would likely give you investment protection down the line with ever-increasing prices.

How about getting 3-4 used gens?

If ya like Omegas, could easily grab an Omega SMP (2531), SMP Pro (2254) and a 42 PO.

Mix and match with the Breitling Colt, Tag Link, etc.

Give me the $5k and Ill grab ya some watches :)

i think your mother in law would like the idea of you having a nice dress watch that she bought you; not sure if she knows watches but i would suggest getting a jaeger lecoultre reverso -- at the very least it will sound expensive and prestigious to her :bangin:

seriously, you can find a great jlc dress watch for around $5k if you buy right -- these watches have huge discounts relative to their original retail value (ie. you can get a $9k watch for under $5k). in addition, you are getting an in-house movement from a company that has been making movements for 100+ years.

something like this:

dsc01840wh6.jpg

dsc01844fb0.jpg

dsc01852nm7.jpg

just my $0.02,

deltatahoe

ALSO: Here's the other criteria...this watch is coming from my mother-in-law...and out of her personal

pride she wants to know that when I'm walking around and someone says...'Nice watch'...I'll be like

Beauty, panache & an eye-catcher. About 5 Gs (in steel)

3205.jpg

If you are a movement fan and are not concerned with resale Chopard, JLC, Ulysses Nardin are all names which command no respect in the secondary market, make beautiful movements and start at a price point where you are not buying the bottom of the line model. At $5k you can easily pick up $8-10k of retail value. If I had to pick one SS dress watch I would probably pick up a JLC Master Geographique in ss in either the 38 or 40mm size. In the Chopard line they have a beautiful GMT with ceramic bezel in the same price range. If you want to go bigger perhaps you should consider a PAM or Breitling you might not otherwise get as a rep. And finally believe it or not the Slevin in gen on bracelet is a fabulous looking watch which jumps off the wrist. My 2 cents.

While in NYC I went to Wempe to chek the JLC Squadra.

They sell it brand new for 6.7K

After a few discussions with my fellow NewYorkers, we realised that these watches were going for MUCH cheaper on the grey market and for sur when pre-owned.

So, when talking about prestige: go to JLC.

JLC is the ONLY manufacture that never used any part from any other manufacture.

They provided parts, and still does I guess, to VC, AP, ....

SquadraHometime.jpg

SquadraHometimeBack.jpg

(Side note: it's not mine)

On top of that: you will never be called out! :o

Another UN option for you Dave. I haven't shot it yet but I also have a UN Big Date GMT. If you are a movement freak this is a contender. The very first GMT with a patented forward and backward jumping hour that also moves the date front AND backward. Coolest GMT around. Looks great too with the option of a strap or bracelet. A perfect 42MM that goes with anything. Retail is $6500, but it can be had for less than your $5K budget. A LOT of watch for the money with an in house complication which is equally sporty and dressy. I have this version...

243-55-92.jpg

OH: And I already asked..I'm not allowed to divide up the money and buy 15 reps...LOL...

Its only 1 watch...I tried getting at least 2-3 gens out of that money...Maybe like 1 midrange watch + 2 less expensive

watches...My wife almost killed me when I mentioned these options...screaming about "You don't know how

to appreciate gifts"...."This isn't about money"....

So 1 watch guys...Oh...and I'm a movement freak...

Anyways...I'm off...I'll check back later...

@Robbieg: I'll be checking out the UN

@Piz: I'll be checking out the Glashutte

The 14790 is the 36mm model, but is still nicely proportioned. And very affordable, too; $5k seems to be the going rate for this reference (+/-).

The arabic dial is a hard one to find, however; not the most common dial option out there. I myself love it as it's very similar to the Nick Faldo LE (only without the waffle pattern in the center).