When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Take a look at what my boss gave me.

jfreeman420

So I started a new job two months ago. I work for a developer selling Real Estate in Costa Rica. In two months I have brought in $1,600,000 in sales. Everyone in the office knows I am into watches seeing as I seem to wear a different one every day. My boss tells me he has this laying around and I can have it because he was about to throw it away.

DSC00389.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00393.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

Yes it is just a box. Nice thing about letting people know you are a watch collector people want to give you things. Too bad he doesn't still have the watch, but to think people would actually toss away a perfectly good empty box.

So you generate over one and half million dollars of business and you get rewarded with an empty box, bet that had you fired up! Only kidding its a nice thought.

He could have been cruel and waited to see have seen the look on your face as you see the Rolex box, eagerly opening the outer layers, pushing aside the paperwork, waiting to see the splendid timepiece, only to see theres nothing there!

So you generate over one and half million dollars of business and you get rewarded with an empty box, bet that had you fired up! Only kidding its a nice thought.

One would presume he gets paid to generate business. Wages should suffice; if not, change jobs. :)

ps. I'd love to get a box like that. It shows the boss thinks of you and considered your likes/dislikes.

Not sure what kind of percentage they work on - and of course your new - and don't know how much of that 1.6 was originated by you or was in the pipeline and just closed by you - but lets say he takes 3% - if you brought me in 50k in the first 2 months you have been there? i'd have sprung for the 5k and gotten you a real rolex.

If you keep up that pace, there better be a rolex waiting for you at year's end - ON TOP of your bonus - or you need to find a new developer. :)

Not sure what kind of percentage they work on - and of course your new - and don't know how much of that 1.6 was originated by you or was in the pipeline and just closed by you - but lets say he takes 3% - if you brought me in 50k in the first 2 months you have been there? i'd have sprung for the 5k and gotten you a real rolex.

If you keep up that pace, there better be a rolex waiting for you at year's end - ON TOP of your bonus - or you need to find a new developer. :)

or [censored], here's a good one - go buy a used one at the jewlery exchange for 2k and let him tell you it was his and he is giving it to you because he knows you like watches. - thats the cheapy way out (gotta write that one down for teh future)

good luck with the new career. - I'm starting with a new company as well, except were crossing paths as i go north and you go south :)

$1.6 in sales in Costa Rica? You should be able to afford what goes inside of it. . .if not you two should have a sit down!!!

Nice box but to be honest I'd feel uncomfortable giving someone just a box.

Seeing the anticipation and than BOOM - it is just a box.

It's like giving your girlfriend a nice jewelry box without a ring inside. Weird.

One would presume he gets paid to generate business. Wages should suffice; if not, change jobs.

ps. I'd love to get a box like that. It shows the boss thinks of you and considered your likes/dislikes.

Yes it was thoughtful and shows that the people I work for take an interest in their salespeople.

BTW, he did tell me it was just an empty box even before he brought it in.

As for the money, yes it is a good living. Unfortunatley I don't get the entire 3% all at one time since it is a pre construction project.

Damn. Talk about a let down....but hey, you got a nice boss. When you give your boss the notice and he asks why, tell him you feel a little empty, similiar to what you got in the box he gave ya....LOL :)

I dont think the $1.6 Million in sales was part of his though process when he decided to give you the box....

If it was....that is a strange way of saying thank you or good job....

My guess is that he was trying to say that he likes you (Not in a gay way of course) and that he figured you would appreciate having the box....

Keep the polishing cloth and sell the box on Ebay....lol....its not like your ever gonna buy a rep or gen Cellini anyway....

Edit: Oh I see now....it is a vintage box....probably for a TT Datejust....not Cellini....

My guess is that he was trying to say that he likes you (Not in a gay way of course) and that he figured you would appreciate having the box..

Bingo............

Edit: Oh I see now....it is a vintage box....probably for a TT Datejust....not Cellini....

Yes it was a two tone midsize datejust.

I would have to agree that an empty Rolex is a huge let down. I don't get what the value of that would be. You don't wear the box, you're not going to bring the box out at a party and show it off to your friends. I would be embarrased to bring that home to my family and tell them it was a bonus for a job well done. In fact I would almost take it as an insult and figure that the boss is laughing about it with his rich buddies over Martinis on a yacht in Costa Rica of all places.

Ok so its a vintage box, the gesture would have said something if there was a vintage Rolex in it. Is it worth anything on ebay?

On the other hand, never underestimate people, especially rich people. They can have some strange ideas of what is funny. He may be messing with you and planning to give you the watch that goes in the box. Think about it, why would ha have the box and not the watch? If he sold or gave the watch away the box was likely to go with it. Unless he lost the watch. Sorry, its just a bit strange.

i dont know the context exactly but it seems almost insulting... like "here is my garbage, ill let you pick away at it" an empty box IS a let down, whlie he parades around with his Rollie on your sweat you can enjoy his cardboard wood lined box...maybe it's just me...

i see you wear shoes...i have plenty of empty shoe boxes that i use for receipts...youre welcome to rummage through them, and keep what you like... : P

i guess it's still more than any boss has given me...ENJOY! : )

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee