When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Gen to get?

Velasco

16800 is the predecessor to the 168000. The 16800 was the first sub with the sapphire crystal, 300m/1000ft designation and the quickset 3035 movement. The 168000 had a short run around 87-88- same 3035 movement but with the new 904L case and bracelet. Then in 88 the 16610 came out with the 3135 movement and 904L steel case and bracelet. Ironically, all three were available around 1988 with the R serial# designation.

The 16800 with the matte dial is probably the most collectible/valuable of those three subs at this point in time- but of course, it is also the earliest.

post-175-1225118164_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture of a gen 16800 with matte dial on the left and a 16800 franken on the right.

I would definitely go for the GMT. Why? There are decent rep Subs out there...the Noob being a pretty close offering to the 16610. True, the vintage ones like a 16800 are hard to get without work...but there really is no substitute for a GMT movement. A proper functioning, correct hand stack RELIABLE Rolex GMT movement is not something that has been replicated properly.

The ICHS though reasonably reliable, can't really be serviced by anybody easily due to parts sourcing problems and people like The Zigmeister who know rep movements won't touch the movement with complications like these...even the ETA versions with the GMT complication.

The CHS version works properly, but is known to be unreliable.

A gen Rolex GMT is just that - a proper functioning, reliable watch that really has yet to be repped properly.

My advice would be to look at a 16600 (Sea Dweller) if you can stretch to it as these are sure to increase in value now it has been discontinued by Rolex.

I would also buy sooner rather than later if you can for the same reason.

Here is one example of a 2007 model 16600 in the UK for

16610 if your goal is to have the best all around watch that is timeless and goes with everything.

16710 if your goal is to have a little more versatility with a complication. Visually it is basically the same if you get one with a black bezel. Plus with this choice you get a watch which is a bit more collectable since it is being discontinued by Rolex. I doubt that you will found one in your price range though because of this. Especially since you are waiting until next year...

The Euro has taken a hit lately against the US dollar- something like 1.2657 USD to the Euro as of Friday. But the other thing to keep in mind is that retail outlets are going to be 10-40% more than buying from a place like ebay. But whenever you buy on ebay, you have to know the seller and I always figure a few hundred dollars extra for servicing. Watches are also more expensive in the EU than in the US, but don't ask me why.

Hopefully when you buy from a retail outlet, the watch has been recently serviced and you get the peace of mind of actually being able to see the watch and know that you aren't being ripped off. Luckily, I've never been ripped off buying a watch on ebay, but I always stay away from questionable sellers.

16800 is the predecessor to the 168000. The 16800 was the first sub with the sapphire crystal, 300m/1000ft designation and the quickset 3035 movement. The 168000 had a short run around 87-88- same 3035 movement but with the new 904L case and bracelet. Then in 88 the 16610 came out with the 3135 movement and 904L steel case and bracelet. Ironically, all three were available around 1988 with the R serial# designation.

The 16800 with the matte dial is probably the most collectible/valuable of those three subs at this point in time- but of course, it is also the earliest.

My advice would be to look at a 16600 (Sea Dweller) if you can stretch to it as these are sure to increase in value now it has been discontinued by Rolex.

I would also buy sooner rather than later if you can for the same reason.

Well, I must say I agree with the entire list :D

The seadweller is a fantastic tool though and if it was me I would go for it on top of the list :rolleyes:

My16600_800_83.jpg

But the 16600 is not on your list so for the second choice I would recommend to go for a 16800 Matte Dial (if you can find a good example at an affordable price though).

I'm with Alligoat here: it is going to be a true collector piece one day or another.

It carries both of best worlds: vintage (matte dial and no 904L) and modern (Sapphire and quickset date)

Rolex16800_800_07.jpg

But of course, the 16610 is a great choice (and cheaper option too).

Look for one with lugholes though.

My16610Gen_800_14.jpg

Anyway, I think you have years and years ahead of you to get them all as I don't believe the prices on the pre-owned market are going to double any time soon.

Cheers

Stephane

I vote for GMT 16710. Dollar for dollar it has more value. The movement is a masterpiece. It's the smartest, most practical, friendliest GMT movement on earth. When you travel, all you have to do is adjust the hour hand which adjusts in one hour increment. It can adjust backward and forward and the date change follows it perfectly. Compared to other GMT movements which you adjust the GMT hand, the Rolex GMT movement is more natural and more convenient. The simpler movement on the sub and sd just doesn't nearly have the same value.

-bk

Edited by bklm1234

I'm with Alligoat here: it is going to be a true collector piece one day or another.

It carries both of best worlds: vintage (matte dial and no 904L) and modern (Sapphire and quickset date)

Rolex16800_800_07.jpg

:wub:

Do you think it is feasible to find a 16800 w/ matte dial under 3.5 k

Here's a nice 16800 matte dial from a reputable seller, but it's in the US. This is the seller that I bought my 1680 from 3 years ago for like $2450- it's now worth probably $6000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-SS-Submariner-16...A1%7C240%3A1318

I firmly believe this watch will be worth $8000-10000 in 3-4 years. That's why I bought my 16800 matte dial this year. Of course, dollars and euros will continue to slide and we'll all need to make over $100K per year just to survive. But if you're wearing anyone of these gen Rolexes, at least you can be doing it in style!

If the watch fits your budget, go for it! There's no way to go wrong, except growing tired of it. The GMT is a great watch and I personally like the ones with the black bezels best. The nice thing about wearing a gen is that if someone questions you about it, you can tell em to go take a hike and not worry about it!. Or maybe try to softly reply, "No it's not a fake." I love to wear my reps, especially as beaters, but sometimes when you're going out, wearing a gen is the best thing.