When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blancpain Fifty Fathom Vintage

lazarini

Some of them were 36mm if memory serves... perfectly acceptable size for that era of watches.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan these look nice! Who's going first, to tell us about the quality?

:Jumpy:

mmmmhhh....they look quite nice allthough

- the bezel is a bit too wide

- the bezel-teeth are not enough (too large)

- the numbers and indezees are a bit off

But anyway...this can be a good starter for modds....buff the case and scratch the plexi.

DSN: will there be a PANERAI Big Egiziano?????

Theo

Very nice. The vintage FF's are in my opinion some of the nicest divers watches around. All in all the reps don't seem too bad, with just minimal flaws, something that only a seasoned BP WIS would be able to spot.

Here's a little comparison, DSN is on the left in all photo's;

BPFF07;

Bezel numbers and markers are too thin

'Fifty Fathoms' should be in green

'Milspec' should be in white (looks to be blue from the photo's)

Minute hand should be thinner than the hour hand

The outter part of the bezel (metal part) is too thin

BP07.jpg

BPFF28

'6' and '9' are too closed off

Crown is too thick

Black part of the bezel is too wide

Triangles at '3','6' and '9' and the square at '12' are too small

'Blancpain Fifty Fathoms' text is too thin

Bezel knurling is much finer on the genuine

Hour and Minute hands are too square - on the gen they look to get wider as you get towards the tip of the hand

'3' '6' '9' '12' should be same thickness all the way around the number

BPFF28.jpg

BPFF95

Outter bezel (metal part) should be wider - making black part thinner

Top text (BPFF) is too thick

Crown wrong shape

Hands slightly too wide? (might be illusion of the pic)

BPFF95.jpg

Excellent comparison b16a2!

95 is my choice from this... oka minus the crown but still looks like the closest to me...

Indeed...thanks for the comparison. The 95 is looking the best in my opinion as well. I think this piece has to have the highest ratio of bezel:crystal around!! I just don't understand their pricing though. This cost almost as much as the UN Diver Chrono??? Sure it's a Swiss movement...or is it? :huh::huh:

No worries, I've been waiting for a good BPFF so I jumped at the chane of doing a little comparison :)

I think the 95 is the one to go for if you want accuracy. Like you say, apart from the crown it isn't too bad at all. When it's on the wrist, I doubt the bezel width is that noticeable bearing in mind it's only a 41mm watch. Proportions of the photo probably exagerrate this somewhat.

Can we have the millspec divers version now? Preety please? These were French navel issue (think it was French) and are the origenal BP "Fifty".

Bund20Review20002-1.jpg

Note the large red 3H indercating a very high level of Tritium lume (the highest permissible in fact). When new these things would have glowed like a jack'o'lanten. Never did work out the totaly blank ('cept for the "12" triangle) rotating bezel on a pro dive watch tho.

Col.

Very nice job B16!!!

There were many variations on the FF, also displayed by the reference that Laz listed that, so an odd ball part or two is certainly possible.

My hats off to DSN, we've been waiting a long time for a vintage FF and a reasonable price to boot! :clap:

Maybe I can put this dial to use.... -finally!

DSCN4362.jpg