When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If You Can Have One Gen Under $1500, What Would It Be?

triplehd

If you could have any Gen watch with a list price under $1500, what would it be? Reason why I ask is that my fiancee said that she would get me a watch of my choice, but it had to be under $1500. I did ask if I can use those funds to purchase some nice reps and the answer was NO! :angry: (Only if she knew how much fun rep collecting is).

I've been collecting Omega reps and just added the MBW 16610, which is very very nice. I was thinking about getting a Tag - don't ask me why, but Josh and Trusty have some incredible Links that are very very close to real thing.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a start never turn your nose up at a gen as it will be around long after all your reps have given up the ghost.

It's funny you mention TAG's as for the price range a good second hand TAG may be the way to go, however I'm sure there are many more informed members that will be along and point you in other directions. :)

Ken

Edit; In fact a couple have popped up whilst I was typing

Great question. $1500 definately doesn't buy what it used to now that the euro is so expensive. A few years ago you could pick up a slightly used Zenith with an EP for that price range. That being said, take a look at Sinn, Tutima and Kobold. I have owned all three and was impressed by the quality/price ratio on all three. If buying second-hand from a reputable source does not bother you, you might find a good deal on timezone (if you can manage to ignore the often-present pretentiousness there). It sounds like you are going to have some fun shopping around. Sometimes the hunt is the best part. :D

Since you seem to prefer sports watches:

Vintage Tudor Submariner. All original minty examples with original factory boxes & papers can be found for less. It's a terrific watch that just happens to be a darn good investment as well. A true classic.

Used Omega Planet Ocean. They are now currently around $1,750 but recently, a very nice one sold for $950 @ TZ without the bracelet. :o I think with a bit of patience, one may show up in your price range.

Heuer Carrera, Autavia & Steve McQueen reeditions. Modern editions of the timeless designs by Jack Heuer which are available within your range.

Jet

Since you seem to prefer sports watches:

Vintage Tudor Submariner. All original minty examples with original factory boxes & papers can be found for less. It's a terrific watch that just happens to be a darn good investment as well. A true classic.

Used Omega Planet Ocean. They are now currently around $1,750 but recently, a very nice one sold for $950 @ TZ without the bracelet. :o I think with a bit of patience, one may show up in your price range.

Heuer Carrera, Autavia & Steve McQueen reeditions. Modern editions of the timeless designs by Jack Heuer which are available within your range.

Jet

Ditto. All excellent suggestions. Personally, I'd go for a Tudor or Heuer Carrera because PO rep is so good. TAG Aquaracer 2000 Chronograph is a beautiful watch too.

$950 for a PO? Not bad.

Omega SMP!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the 2531 rep with the Gen Dial on it. The rep hands have great lume, that's why I never replaced them. I was thinking about getting the 2554 model, but I already have 3 black watches (Omegas PO, GMT and a MBW 16610).

Unless, I get the electric blue SMP ?!?!? :Jumpy:

I have noticed a lot of rep's sneaking on to Amazon over the last year.

Well, I wasn't actually suggesting you buy one from Amazon ... but the list price on that watch is €1400, and you can get it at less than that in a lot of places. The MoonWatch Reduced is a steal.

Are you sure it's gen?

I have noticed a lot of rep's sneaking on to Amazon over the last year.

Ken

Yes it`s gen. It`s the omega speedmaster automatic also aka the reduced, a lot cheaper a bit smaller looks like a moonie but isn`t. A used moonie will set you back $1000 till $1200. If you go vintage you will pay more for an all originall one. If you find an original seamaster 300 like Ubi has i will be very jealous.