When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stuck in the sixties

JoJo35

...I mean after all, James Bond was driving along in an Aston, Honor Blackman was flying over fort knox while wearing a 6542, it was an era of free love, and some of the best watches of all time were produced doing that time period!

Someone recently noted that I seemed to be stuck in the sixties, and I suppose there could be worse things!

I find that some of the greatest 'cultures' of product were created from the sixties:

-Silver Age Marvel superheroes :)

-Beautiful cars

-Fantastic Sport watches from a number of different manufacturers

Not a bad era to be 'stuck' within. I've noticed that a lot of my own personal collection preferences were born of this decade and the one following :)

Oh, and beautiful watches, BTW ;)

Magnificent!!! What a collection. :wub:

All my favorites are from the late 50s, 60s, and early 70s. I like to use the term "sweet spot" to describe a time when everything is just.... "right". Everything is smooth and good things are happening. It seems like a real horological sweet spot was happening in that time.

1958, 1971, 1964, 1968, 1968, 1966 ... those are the magic numbers for me.

Well, B, first let me apologize, that comment didn't exactly come out right. I was thinking of the old Ronnie Millsap song, "Lost in the 50's Tonight". And I probably should have googled it first to get on the right track.

But obviously , like all great collections, you have to have an underlying theme and yours is certainly the 60's with these four beautiful watches. Like Stilty, I kinda like the 1016 the most, but the other three are great too. Congrats on a beautiful collection.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll admit I like them all, however the color change 1016 is one of my favorites too (I guess you have to see it in person, it is especially beautiful in the sunshine).

freddy, are you kidding??? :D lol ..the 45 year old "fat font" gen insert looks aftermarket??? Hmm.. I wonder what Mr. Dowling would say??? :p

You want to see something even more bizarre than the fat font? The insert and bezel on the left SD are gen ... the ones on the right are aftermarket.

lugs1.jpg

lugs2.jpg

Perhaps this will put to rest the issue of wether the insert is gen or not.

This is a picture from a very well known collector with untold experience collecting the most valuable of all Rolexes. All are Gen and all are different in their own way.

Notice the 4th from the left.....it looks exactly like JoJo's insert with the #'s pushed out toward and over the insert's outer edge.

inserts.jpg

inserts2.jpg

inserts3.jpg

I say JoJo's is as Gen as they come.

That Explorer is just amazing. All of a sudden (and after seeing Jocke's pictures) I'm getting the hankering for an old 1016 or a Tudor Ranger. Can it GET any better than this? :wub:

@Freddy, what do you think of Yuki's Red Ranger on the 'Bay right now? Cheap, and the bezel is screwy. :g: But such a good staring point.

ranger1.jpg