When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If you could own one (and one only) gen - what would it be?

kramerica2

What is the one watch, you really think is worth getting as a gen? It could be for several reasons, maybe it's rep isn't good enough, maybe it didn't get repped at all or maybe you just appreciate it so much.

I think that my unaffordable would be a Breguet Grande Complication 3755PR.

3755pr1e9v6.jpg

Being more realistic, something that I'm actually going to buy would be the PO. I guess you can say it's for sentimental reasons. I never had any real interest at watches, until it caught me while passing next to an AD's display. At the very same day, I started looking at reps and once you go that road, there's no coming back.

What would be yours?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But, any Rolex sport vintage circa 60's-70's would do. Taking aside collateral value; 1680, 1675, 6263. Plexi rules.

Good answer.

I have several answers for historical watches, but for a modern, off-the-shelf gen, it'd probably be some cheap Seiko.

t10_sd_spacewalk_watch_front.jpg

If I had to get a from-the-shop quartz cheapo, it'd be a crappy Timex like this:

tx730.jpg

+1 with the white dial and black subdials

Or this one (Omega fan), same config...

No argument from me on this one.

Oh, this is hopefully the next Gen I buy, if I can find one at a decent enough price:

SBDB001-a.jpg

If someone walked up to me and said they could sell me one of those for under

There's not a gen which I wouldn't be satisfied with a rep...

That said, I would like to build my GMTIICSub out of gen parts, just to make the AD freak out :lol:

I agree with you TeeJay. Im not saying gens are not worth the outragious prices they ask, Im saying that I dont think they are on a personal level. A rep will do just fine thanks. One day I would not mind buying a Breitling SW or a Omega Po chrono. They can be found on the secondary market for around $2.500- $1.500 respectively. Although I would have think about It long and hard as I really like my reps. As far as building my own one day, well Im not quite ready for that :D Mike

If someone was buying it for me to wear, not trade in for money?

I don't know. Probably a DRSD or a Newman. I'm booooring. Its such a hard question to answer. My answer would change with my mood which mimics reality, how the watch I wear changes based on my mood.

I agree with you TeeJay. Im not saying gens are not worth the outragious prices they ask, Im saying that I dont think they are on a personal level. A rep will do just fine thanks. One day I would not mind buying a Breitling SW or a Omega Po chrono. They can be found on the secondary market for around $2.500- $1.500 respectively. Although I would have think about It long and hard as I really like my reps. As far as building my own one day, well Im not quite ready for that :D Mike

Yeah, that is precisely what I was meaning, it's just my own personal perception, but all the time reps provide a recognizably similar watch, with a reliable movement (my vintage sub only gets set once a week, if that) that I don't have to worry about getting wet, that will always satisfy my desire to 'wear a watch', so quite simply, I have no need to get a gen :)

As for building your own, I'm sure you will, when the time is right :) The fun part, is trying to come up with a trick custom design ;)