When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Joshua's 1665 DRSD

lanikai

This is the new line of Vintage Rolex .. it is said to be compatible genuine parts..

The main improvement is in the steel which is supposed to be denser and with more sheen.. a better grade of steel.

there are a few issues .. like the MBK.. yes the lug holes seem a fraction too low, the CG needs work as with the MBK's.. the crown needs a genuine... the rep is too big.. as with the MBK's.. the crystal is surprisingly good but the crystal wall is too low as are the MBK's..

The bracelet is an improvement.. it is a bit more "slinky" and lighter than the MBK's .. the holes for the screws have more play in them as the genuine article.. lending for a better molding on the wrist..

the Asian beat movement is better as far as visual tick's in the second hand, we'll see about it's functionality and longevity..

the case back engraving .. IMO is an improvement..the dw is silver with open 6..

For the price of this bag of groceries.. I don't see how you can go wrong.. the steel should of scratched when I was taking off the bracelet.. my ineptitude with the spring bar.. it did not.. if that is an indication of the density of this grade of steel then it passed the test..

Let take a look now at the comparisons..

The Genuine (the new rep is on the right) the xtal wall is much higher than my genuine sits on the MBK.. so a Clarks would actually look better if this is the case..

dscn1799s.jpgjoshuas1665drsd029.jpg

New Rep... MBK on the right

joshuas1665drsd027.jpgjoshuas1665drsd021.jpg

New rep on top MBK below.. Genuine on the right

the bezels on both the MBK and the new rep. are polished on the sides.. (the genuine has a brushed finish).. too close to call which is better .. they are both slightly off from the genuine .. at different angles the new rep appears to have more thickness like the genuine.. but it may be just the angles.. a toss up on this one..

joshuas1665drsd006.jpgdscn1799f.jpg

Genuine

dscn1816j.jpg

New rep. the CG needs work like the MBK

joshuas1665drsd019.jpgjoshuas1665drsd017.jpg

MBK. the CG has been modded

joshuas1665drsd024.jpg

New rep

joshuas1665drsd012.jpg

Case back.. new rep.. Genuine below,.. I'm not sure on the variations of case backs

(the MBK is the same font.. not as deeply engraved and painted black.

joshuas1665drsd030.jpg

dscn1836l.jpg

New rep

joshuas1665drsd042l.jpg

joshuas1665drsd043.jpg

The dial the MBK on the left has been modded and relumed.. but notice the reflection from the steel on the new rep on the right..it's lighting up the background..

joshuas1665drsd002.jpg

New rep

joshuas1665drsd049.jpg

joshuas1665drsd057.jpg

The rep crystal is pretty good in that it takes on the illusion of the genuine ..imo

joshuas1665drsd058.jpg

but I will be swapping it for a Clarks.. with the higher wall..

joshuas1665drsd045.jpg

the Asian low beat Movement edit: the movement is an Asian clone not a low beat.. however it is "jerky" at the seconds..fyi

joshuas1665drsd037.jpg

joshuas1665drsd038.jpg

I will continue tomorrow with the dial and bracelet, I will have macros of the font and the genuine as comparison .. the bracelet is very, very well done..

My main focus was on the steel and case..

For the "price" it has promise.. although if you want more,..... modding is an option ..like the MBK.. with it's issues the New rep. is a great buy .. IMO.. you can't debate 198 usd.. :thumbsupsmileyanim: for what you get .. imo.. it is value added..for your collection

thanks for viewing and tomorrow I will finish with the rest of the pictorial..

AC

Lani

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lani, I have the DRSD on order from tr***rwatch.com (don't want to offend anybody here) and it will be interesting to see how the two stack up. I'll maybe do a before and after and then thin the CG a bit and drill the lug holes for the correct spring bars. It'll be fun and interesting!

Lani, I have the DRSD on order from tr***rwatch.com (don't want to offend anybody here) and it will be interesting to see how the two stack up. I'll maybe do a before and after and then thin the CG a bit and drill the lug holes for the correct spring bars. It'll be fun and interesting!

Trusty and Perfect have the same line.. even if you got it elsewhere.. no big ..

post your results..

AC

Lani

Very nicely done! Thank you for taking the time mah brotha.

I think the height of the crystal wall is being hidden by an insert that's pressed in too "conical" instead of being flatter in the bezel. Can you flatten it down any? I also think I see one glaring flaw, I'll wait for others to chime in to see if I'm just overly picky. Like THAT'S ever happened before! :whistling:

Nice review, Lani, but I am far from impressed with the new rep. Of course, the pics may be at fault, but, to me, the steel looks cheap (not more dense), the crystal refracts light in an odd (non-gen) way & the dial is poor. All in all, since you still need to swap out the crystal & crown, if you cannot justify MBW prices, I think I like Josh's old rep better. :thumbdown:

Very nicely done! Thank you for taking the time mah brotha.

I think the height of the crystal wall is being hidden by an insert that's pressed in too "conical" instead of being flatter in the bezel. Can you flatten it down any? I also think I see one glaring flaw, I'll wait for others to chime in to see if I'm just overly picky. Like THAT'S ever happened before! :whistling:

thank you B !

hmmm I see what you mean about the insert being too conical.. I tried to flatten it.. It's not cooperating.. mmm.. think I'll pull it our and try another insert..it could be the thickness of the crystal .. dunno .. I'll try pulling the insert out... :)

If it's the lugs.. sent feed back on that ...gotta be something else you see .. B)

AC

L

Thanks for the review, Lani. It looks like a pretty good effort, and perhaps a value at that price.

There are a couple of things that bother me...The profile of the bezel is off (it's too thin at the top). Also, if those lug holes aren't already drilled for genuine spring bars, then they're going to come woefully close to the edges once they are.

...Oh, and it would be better to leave the case without engraving than to use that laser etching.

Other than that, it looks like there's plenty of metal to mill away, on your way to a more genuine appearance.

Nanuq.. you were spot on !!

This is a cheapo .. wholesale outlet insert.. but it did the trick .. the original rep insert was conical.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

joshuas1665drsd063.jpg

joshuas1665drsd064.jpg

Ok so at least we know the specs for the bezel and crystal size are correct ... this is the same insert that fits the same in my MBK..

The biggest flaw that jumps out at me, and that I would "look for" on someones wrist is the "L" is too far left under the coronet. :thumbdown:

Great review Lani!

Thanks R..

I didn't take many pics of the dial today.. my focus was on the case .. it's a given that these vintage dials will not come close to the genuine.. dunno why .. we all have theories .. but the bottom line is even the ND dial price at 3 to 4 hundred is not spot on .. this rep with all the "advertising" that goes with it.. "is what it is" for 198 usd.. :lol: a good deal for some..

but how many vintage reps have you found to be great "out of the box" ??

AC

Lani

Interesting watch. Much more in line with what a vintage rep should be, price wise, given all the mods folks do.

One thing I prefer on MBKs in general is the hours markers. If you want to age them, you have a whitish base to do so with. (I always prefer a creamy color for the markers that looks like NOS.) Josh's dial is already too lemon yellow IMO.

Thanks for the review, Lani. It looks like a pretty good effort, and perhaps a value at that price.

There are a couple of things that bother me...The profile of the bezel is off (it's too thin at the top). Also, if those lug holes aren't already drilled for genuine spring bars, then they're going to come woefully close to the edges once they are.

...Oh, and it would be better to leave the case without engraving than to use that laser etching.

Other than that, it looks like there's plenty of metal to mill away, on your way to a more genuine appearance.

the same thought occurred to me regarding the lug holes.. :(

AC

Lani

thanks you very much for the pics !!

how about more shots of the datewheel ? has is flat 3s ?

has the bracelet hollow middle links ?

so far i like it more than the MBWs - no reason to spend more money :)

lugholes - no problemo - a lot of overpolished gens look that way too :)

dial is as shitty as MBW but the white version looks better.

a lot of casework is needed - just like on the MBWs.

cheers,

Frank

thanks you very much for the pics !!

how about more shots of the datewheel ? has is flat 3s ?

has the bracelet hollow middle links ?

so far i like it more than the MBWs - no reason to spend more money :)

lugholes - no problemo - a lot of overpolished gens look that way too :)

dial is as shitty as MBW but the white version looks better.

a lot of casework is needed - just like on the MBWs.

cheers,

Frank

Thank you Frank..

haha.. what happened was my battery in the camera died..I'll have more pics tomorrow.. it was poorly overcast today without much natural lighting..

the mid links are hollow.. and what I like is the play in the links.. like the looseness of the genuine's.. I may take this bracelet and put it on one of my modded watches for now.. the bracelet is definitely and improvement over all other reps.. my MBK's are very heavy... and I put genuines on my favs.. but this is alot cheaper than 700 usd per bracelet..your gonna love the bracelet F. !!!!!

agree on the dial.. :lol:

and yes,.. I have seen pics of as you say "over polished" cases where the lug holes appear lower not much though..

but what this offers is ... if you are like me and want to start doing CG's or tooling with the rep.. a 198 usd loss is not as bad as a 450-500 usd loss.. granted it's still a loss if I mess up.. but I won't stress as much.. in other words the "pressure will be minimal in my mind.. so I'll be more relaxed if I work on the mods..... :D

So can we conclude this is an MBK "clone" and WILL accept 1:1 parts?

that has yet to be proven.. it is not a MBK clone though .. it is what it is.. the bezel insert that I use in my MBK's works perfectly in the new rep.. but the test will come in the crystal and possibly a ND dial.. but so far so good... we'll see.. one step at a time.. :)

AC

Lani

Nice comparison, Lani. Certainly a good buy, IMO considering the price and apparent similarities to the MBW's.

One thing, the movement is an asian clone, not a low beat, but the 28.8K copy of the ETA. Of course, you could swap in a a gen ETA if you needed to w/ same hands, etc.

Well nobody has mentioned the glaring flaw I see, so I'll toss it out there for discussion. Who sees the difference between my MBW and Josh's piece? Think MBW 6538 "Big Crown"...

MBW crown, all original:

drsd_2.jpg

Joshua's crown:

joshuas1665drsd017.jpg

joshuas1665drsd012.jpg

joshuas1665drsd063.jpg

Geeze, I've gotten so used to so many reps having a gigantic crown it didn't even sink in on me! I just changed the crown and tube on my Noobmariner the other night and it made the watch look 100% better!