When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lanikai's newest addition...PVD 202A...

RWG Technical

Just finished this one for none other than the esteemed Lanikai.

First up is a genuine PVD coated Crown, which has 0.90mm threads and won't accept a 6497 stem. The 6497 stem has 1.20mm threads and needed to be modified to fit the gen crown. The modification consisted of cutting the stem down on the lathe, and then making new 0.90mm threads... this is the stem after it's been modified with the 0.90mm threads.

10.jpg

With that out of the way, lets move onto the actual watch.

This is my own PVD coating on the case and CG. I offer this coating on a very limited basis.

I relumed the dial in my custom Tritium Mix, and the hands in a lighter mix.

It is impossible to capture in the same photograph the actual colour of the dial and lume, along with the colour of the PVD. Either one looks too bright or too dark. So I have taken a few pictures at different exposures that show both the PVD colour in person, and the dial and hand lume colour.

First are pics of the case so that you can see the PVD finish and colour.

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

The following show a better rendition of what the lume looks like in person. It is not as washed out as it appears in the above pics.

15.jpg

12.jpg

And by comparison here is the genuine 202A.

gen202a.jpg

She'll be in the mail next week R and on it's way home...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superb Zig !!!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I didn't expect anything less.. but looking at the finished product, I still am without the proper words ..and the turn around was at light speed ! and what timing .. my frogman strap is on the way this week.. and once I get the panerai PVD buckle back it will go to V for his costumed Pav strap !!

The PVD finish is the same as the genuine.. in more ways than just verbally :victory:

I've cannibalized my other PVD watches due to poor PVD coat, or CG issues or a lack of a proper dial.. after 3 years .. this is the best and only PVD Pam that I will own..(maybe.. after ZM's OEM coating who knows?)

Of course the parts has a history with RWG..

But this is beyond my expectations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15.jpg

The genuine OEM crown... is from kruzer.. the last one he had from his acquisition of a watch smith that closed shop.. and he was in Greece for a wedding when he was communicating my request for a PVD crown, (with a bit too much Ouzo the night before) :drinks: .. that I knew I could use later.. so after 3 years or so.. it has been made to fit without tricks or treats by ZM..

the CG is V's custom made work.. just before the birth of his Son..over a year ago.. and had to be custom fitted by ZM..

the case was gifted by a great friend (one of the duo's) on conference calls from Colorado :1a: .. it is a gorgeous block case that he was going to use for the same project.. but told me he wanted to see me have it instead.. what can I say Ubi !!

the dial of course from Fishgodeep, his last one.... a real gentleman to deal with ...

the case back was from a DSN 202a that I gifted to the same friend whose responsible for the Case ..and sent it back to me for the project...

the 6497 eta movement is from the same 202a that the case back came from ..

the Panerai buckle that was PVD is also from Colorado . !!

So the support continues.. as is the RWG way B)

Permission to use your genuine pic Ziggy ?.. (if I don't get them mixed up :lol:).. for a pictorial later.. the images really have to be taken in low indirect lighting to get the true visual of the PVD without light bouncing of the finish..I' try to capture that .. to give this piece it's justice...

this will rival my Blacksteel DCL me thinks...

Thank you to the Master of Horology !!!!

and all youz guy's that made this happen..

and to the bestest Fora on the Net ... Bar None B)

Bravo indeed!

Great job again Zig, never known anything else!

And R, your Franken projects continue to have such a worldwide base, parts from all corners of the globe.

Congrats mate, another masterpiece, from the master- for the master.

Offshore

PS -Zig, tool shipped, (will advise tracking)

As I have always said...You have the best toys! To live in Hawaii and have the collection that you do, nothing better. I want to be just like you when I grow up! There is no where on the planet that I would rather live and to have your collection on top of it...Nirvana! Enjoy your new toy and know that I am so jealous I am probably sinning.