When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your oldest surviving rep?

By-Tor

I don't want to hear about the DateJust that you bought 1986 from Thailand. Or the crappy CN Sub that you bought from someone... and can't sell it because it's so crappy by today's standards. I mean the oldest surviving quality rep. A nice one that you still own and wear regularly.

Mine is the Omega Seamaster Chronograph from 2006, from Eddie Lee, with perfect ETA datefont. Lots of reps (60-70) have come and gone, many of them have been replaced with gens. But this stays for good (unless I buy a gen, which is highly unlikely). It's THAT good.

The newer versions have inferior dials. I consider this one of the best reps, ever. A kind member promised to send me a gen insert so it's going to be even better. :)

smp_dial2.jpg

3.jpg

Let's see yours!

post-22-126775049484_thumb.jpg

post-22-126775053073_thumb.jpg

I bought this watch from Chinatown (Adam) on TRC in 2004.

Purchased correct hands and gen rubber strap and ss deployment, and for the most part I wear this watch everyday. To me the Seamaster 300 Pro is the best daily beater of them all.

It is not my oldest surviving rep, by a long shot...just my favorite.

Mine is my manual wind Patek Phillipe 3919 Calatrava purchased from Eddie Lee in 2003 or 2004 (can't remember).

Close behind is my Abay 1680 Rolex Red Sub purchased in 2005 - still have it and hope to do something with the case (nice thin profile)

I still have a great Breitling Chronomat two tone (the older pre-Evolution model) that I bought in Times Square way back in May, 1997. I asked the salesman if he had any better quality Breitlings and he produced my watch from a little black case. He said (in his African accent) that the watch was very high quality with a Swiss movement and he wanted about $100 for it. I could tell the watch was better than the average Briety rep available at the time. I dickered with him and got it for $50, at at time when his average crap Breitys went for $20. The two tone bracelet eventually tarnished and the gold wore off, so I replaced it with a calfskin tan BOB stap. Looks fantastic and still keeps excellent time. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE MOVEMENT. I doubt it's "Swiss", but it hasn't failed me. This is the watch that got me interested in collecting reps, and I now have a collection of 30 or so.

Thanks to the Ethiopian salesman in Times Square!

From El in late 04. First one went missing, little bit worried as it was a $400.00 + rep back then.

But Eddie assured me on it. Got it and still gives me a great nut when I wear it. 5 years and still within cosc specs, it did come with a 2893 back then.

0004461jj2.jpg

0004460kp9.jpg

No surprise here, but it's my 6200 project watch... I bought it a couple of years ago from Silix, and, having sold off everything else in my collection, by default, it's the oldest piece... The original movement never gave me any grief till I clumsily damaged it, and if course, most of the major components have been replaced or modified, but, it holds the place of my oldest surviving rep :)

Apologies to US readers who will have no idea what this post is about..

TJ that so reminded me of "Only Fools & Horses" when Trigger gets given an award for using the same broom for 20 years..

Trigger: "This old broom has had 14 new 'andles, and 17 new 'eads.."

Del: "How the hell is it the same bloody broom then?"

Apologies to US readers who will have no idea what this post is about..

TJ that so reminded me of "Only Fools & Horses" when Trigger gets given an award for using the same broom for 20 years..

Trigger: "This old broom has had 14 new 'andles, and 17 new 'eads.."

Del: "How the hell is it the same bloody broom then?"

:lol:

To be fair, the mid-case, crystal, crown and tube are still original to when it was purchased :whistling:

I think it has to be my railmaster (promised to another member)2 rep that i bought on the boards, Either from EL or trusty cant remember now, This watch is as good as the gen in my eyes!

DSCF0110.jpg

DSC00830.jpg

This has to be from 2006

I bought this sub from replica factory in 2005 before I found TRC and RWG1

whitefacesub.jpg

It's a typical CN sub, shallow rehaut, 3x mag, 2836-1 surplus movement. It's still running well, trimmed the cg's, better insert, LV dial and here's how it looks today

P1000254-2.jpg

My next one was a DRSD from Paul for $139- another Swiss eta

P1000193-1-1-1-1.jpg

trimmed the cg's, drilled the lugholes, put a better all acrylic pearl in the insert and stole the hollow mid-link 93150 to use on another Sub.

• 1 year later...

Oldest surviving:

1986 "Quartz" 1680... Ok, NOT good. But 25 years old and will run with fresh battery.

1995 "True Japanese Miyota 8215" Submariner. Passable from 10' away. I wore this watch regularly over 13 years. It is just now starting to run slow, and I can tell is dry and gummy inside.