When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guys... just in case i promised to come forward

Katerchen

Hi Guys!

Just wanted to let you know - just in case i promised to show up with some infos (you know what i mean)

am receiving root canal treatment which is literally a pain in the a_SS!!

A thing i didnt believe to be real... pains you dont want to wish to your worst enemies...

and not even to you :mellow:

Am able to log/check in but dont believe to get really participating here

during next 10-14 days!

Sorry for this "place capturing" topic - just wanted to write a line into my profile status

but unfortunately this wasnt working??!

Take care -

George

p.s. just in case we have some she'elat kitbag questioners: NO!! I didnt have SEX during last 6 days :(

Good luck Katerchen but don't they use painkillers at your dentist.

Think i had almost 6 of those treatments now and imo it's not necessary to have a lot of pain.

Even when you get home they can give you the proper pain medication.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Had a molar done a couple months back with a ceramic cap and a screw inside to support it... $1000+ and the worst part was the bloody pain as you said and the painkillers dont do nothing at the time the drilling is going on... next time I am just getting the damn thing pulled! Seriously... good luck ;)

Boy, you guys need to switch dentists. I had a root canal 2 days ago & the surgery was 100% painless with only a small bit of discomfort the next day (ranking a 1 on a discomfort scale of 1-to-10). The only thing that hurt was the bill. :bangin:

Those of you with fillings in your teeth that are more than 20 years old, be prepared. Eventually, most fillings need to be refilled & if the original cavity was relatively deep, then you may end up requiring a root canal (followed by a crown).

I didn't know route canals were that bad. I just had my first cavity at age 31. I'm not even remotely joking when I say this- I am phobic about needles. I manned up (by manning up I mean I took a 750mg Vicodin about 30 minutes before show time) and walked in the office trying to stay in my zone- "Your Daniel Craig. 007. Your Daniel Craig. 007". The whole thing beginning to end was a 1 on a scale of 1-10, little or no discomfort.

All I can say is I wish you the same experience, and do what you gotta do to get through it. Find your inner Daniel Craig. Talk to the doctor before hand and have him perscribe some valium (I dont know your tolerance to meds but i'd probably say 10mg at least for that sortve thing. I am by no means a doctor [my best friend is a dentist however], I am merely suggesting.) Or you could also ask for the nitrous.

____ing hate doctors, needles, all of it.

root canals are fun

i had one while on a rather 'hedonistic' vacation

needless to say the anesthetic failed during a particularly painful suction procedure

and the dentist had me standing up in the chair trying to 'disengage Maverick DISENGAGE'

and being the solid physician that he was he didn't let me get away

later I asked him WTF just happened ? and he said he recommends his patients stay away from social vices for at least 48 hours before a procedure

... but i was on vacation so he didn't want to spoil my fun

i didn't know whether to laugh or cry because i was capable of neither

laughing is impossible because my mouth was stuffed with blood soaked gauze

crying wasn't possible since i had my eyes fixed a few days prior to the dental work and they were dry for a full month after that

:)

Well... thanks for the kind words guys!!

(finally found some pills that somehow work for the pain)

The Pain is not such a "peak" thing - although on some days

it felt like a warm and loooong lasting handshake of a gorilla

that just wont let your hand go entire day & night.

Pressure varies from "friendly" to "gut wrenching"...

Dates for further treatment all scheduled with the doctor.

This going to be the "Tour de France without the saddle"

Thank God its one tooth only!

Anyway... i think ive gone through harder things in life(my FIRST DATE)

I will survive :pardon:

George

Hope you're feeling better soon, I had such a bad toothache a while back, that the root canal was a relief :bangin:

For prior pain relief (that's a joke) I was taking Syndol, which the net describes as:

Mild to moderate pain such as headache, including muscle-contraction or tension headache, migraine, neuralgia, toothache, sore throat, dysmenorrhoea, muscular and rheumatic aches and pains and following surgical or dental procedures.

Tablet containing:

Doxylamine succinate 5mg

Codeine phosphate 10mg

Caffeine 30mg

Paracetamol 450mg

Dosage:

Adults: 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours as needed.

Maximum 8 tablets in 24 hours.

Children: not recommended.

I was taking 3 tablets ever 2 hours to keep the pain bearable :whistling: I knew my body couldn't handle that much chemical abuse for long, so I booked in at the dentist. As soon as the tooth was drilled, the pain was gone. That is until I started to get the withdrawal from the Syndols... I was well and truly :animal_rooster: :animal_rooster: like a smackhead, and got the shakes so bad, I couldn't hold a pen to draw :shock: After about 48 hours, I was okay...

George, I dunno, I had a root canal done about 5 years ago and it was not too bad at all.

The worst part was the pain that led me to the dentist and as soon as he began to inject LOTS of anaesthetic before the root canal I felt much better.

The actual procedure was done in 2 parts if I remember and wasn't bad at all, very quick and painless.

The worst part was getting fitted for the crown.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I've had two root canals in the past few years and neither of them were anything like you describe. i'm an Anesthesiologist by trade so i know a little ablout pain meds and pain relief. my dentist uses local anesthesia plus Nitrous Oxide if you wantt it. I DO!! i sort of hyperventilate the N2O blow off CO2 and it really works. Onece I'm a little woozy from that, he injects the local. Post op for me the most effective pain reliever is Toradol (Ketorolac) 10mg tablets. It's a non steroidal similar to Aleve, but it works much better. i take one 10mg tablet about every 4 hours for a day and that's all. The nice thing about the NSAIDS (non-steriodal antiinflammatory drugs) is the absence of side effects that you get when you take narcotc based pain releivers. non habit forming, no impairment of facilities. Only down side is you can only take them for a few days as they decrease platelet forming.