When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yet Another Datejust "Franken Lite"

jmb

I figured I should break out of the Tudor "rut" and build up a Rolex so I started looking for a suitable gen dial. Didn't want any gold, or diamonds, or anything else blingy, just wanted a nice light colored classy looking dial. I finally was lucky to snag this one off flea-Bay at a reasonable price. As far as I can tell it's an exact match in coloration and texture to my gen Tudor Prince Oysterdate!

Mated to the gen dial is an ETA 2836-2 with the remainder being rep parts. The crystal is a Clarks and the bezel is an extra "" piece developed for a recent bad-a$$ Space Dweller project! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Not very many pictures as we have all seen tons of DJs before but just enough for y'all to get the general idea. This will probably be the last piece I build for myself for quite some time.

Datejust 1.JPG

Datejust 2.JPG

Datejust 3.JPG

Datejust 4.JPG

Looks good!!

Ive been looking at datejusts more and more lately. Yours is really nice Justin.

Im starting a Datejust project as well..

gen 16000 case made for 3035 Rolex cal.

engine turned bezel

gen plexi

gen silver dial

gen jubilee bracelet and clasp

gen crown and tube

ETA 2836 movement

Clarks hands

Gunna need a movement spacer... :whistling:

JMB...I really appreciate this post and pics. I just took delivery, yesterday, of this same dial ($65 from the bay). It appears to be perfect with a 4 power loupe. I have a DJ just like yours coming from trevor. It is a 36mm with a sapphire glass. Can I put a plastic crystal in it? I do plan to drill mine. Is the drilling 2mm? I have seen that stated on this board, but the pics on ebay look as though he drilling on a vintage DJ or Explorer is smaller than the drilling on a vintage sub.

I have been in the sub business so much that I just wanted something that is not a dive type watch.

JMB...I really appreciate this post and pics. I just took delivery, yesterday, of this same dial ($65 from the bay). It appears to be perfect with a 4 power loupe. I have a DJ just like yours coming from trevor. It is a 36mm with a sapphire glass. Can I put a plastic crystal in it? I do plan to drill mine. Is the drilling 2mm? I have seen that stated on this board, but the pics on ebay look as though he drilling on a vintage DJ or Explorer is smaller than the drilling on a vintage sub.

You may or may not be able to swap in a plastic crystal. You could try a T-135- that's the crystal for a 16000 DJ series.

You might have to sand the inside OD of your bezel to get it to seat over the crystal. Holes for a DJ are smaller. Sub holes are around 1.3mm, the slim part of a 2mm springbar is around 1.2mm. Don't know what DJ holes are, but they are the next size smaller, so to speak.

LOL, I have one of those linen dials in my parts bin! Guess it came with one of the cases I got 3-4 years ago from roling on the bay.

Yeah, Chi, I kinda like it so maybe I'll need to look for another to do "vintage"...

Preacher, the 'goat covered most everything and I just measured a spring-bar tip and got about .034". I think I used a #60 drill (.040) when I drilled the Tudor Chrono case (Daytona) and it seemed to turn out about right...

Probably were low-beats and I think I've decided to leave this dial in the case w/fluted bezel and sapphire which would be correct with the high-beat. I am starting to look around for another dial and will then assemble a "vintage" version with low-beat movement. I would really love to build out a gen case but they usually sell for more than I'm willing to pay. :whistling:

Probably were low-beats and I think I've decided to leave this dial in the case w/fluted bezel and sapphire which would be correct with the high-beat. I am starting to look around for another dial and will then assemble a "vintage" version with low-beat movement. I would really love to build out a gen case but they usually sell for more than I'm willing to pay. :whistling:

Do you know if all DJ cases had drilled lug holes? I too am looking for a DJ gen case as mine is a Sh!tinerand case with no drilled lug holes and a modified fake caseback. Not sure which case number goes with the DJ though.

"Do you know if all DJ cases had drilled lug holes? I too am looking for a DJ gen case as mine is a Sh!tinerand case with no drilled lug holes and a modified fake caseback. Not sure which case number goes with the DJ though."

Acrylic crystal steel and tutone DJs had holes...slowset and QS. Some solid gold acrylic QS models have solid lugs...I had an 18k 16018 a few years ago with no holes.

Early 16200 etc sapphire DJ (starting 1986/1987) had holes and later models do not, so sapphire DJ with or without holes is correct. No need to worry with the serial number if you use a bracelet on a replica case.

Do not know the exact date when the holes went away, probably around 1997 or so.

From TRF...

"sapphire model no hole case. the serial number is "U" and would make it a 1997"

"Do you know if all DJ cases had drilled lug holes? I too am looking for a DJ gen case as mine is a Sh!tinerand case with no drilled lug holes and a modified fake caseback. Not sure which case number goes with the DJ though."

Acrylic crystal steel and tutone DJs had holes...slowset and QS. Some solid gold acrylic QS models have solid lugs...I had an 18k 16018 a few years ago with no holes.

Early 16200 etc sapphire DJ (starting 1986/1987) had holes and later models do not, so sapphire DJ with or without holes is correct. No need to worry with the serial number if you use a bracelet on a replica case.

Do not know the exact date when the holes went away, probably around 1997 or so.

From TRF...

"sapphire model no hole case. the serial number is "U" and would make it a 1997"

You are a mine of information, sir :tu:

I've been looking for a good linen dial for ages - I was gutted, I missed one on ebay that went for