When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The importance of your Avatar

Rolexman

I notice more and more members are changing their avatars on a regular base. In my honest opinion that is a real pity as a avatar is like a brand’s logo. It forms your (forum) identity for a great deal. Your avatar is the first thing members notice. A strong and differentiating avatar, along with regular contribution to the forum, improves your image.

My Hypotheses is therefore: You pick 1 avatar and never change it as long as you're active on a board!

My story: When I look at myself I use the same avatar ever since RWG1. The funny thing is a lot of people think I'm a dog lover or have boxers myself. My avatar was established by a Google image search some years back on the words 'funny dog'. I wanted a pic that made people smile. It had to be something completely ridiculous. I ended up picking the first pic that turned up because I was too focused on getting active on the board and finding some nice watches. I never liked the pic but as soon as I got really active on RWGI and was picking on the 'veteran status' changing it wasn't an option anymore for me.

Therefore I'm Rolexman... a guy that loves Breiltings and Pams and hates boxer dogs :lol:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just love Futurama. Like a good book I can re-watch the series every year and still enjoy it. For those who've never indulged - No, its nothing like the Simpsons. It full of geek humor and math jokes (yep, math jokes). My nick has nothing to do with it. It's an old handle from the console hacking world. Had i have known what i know now when i signed up here about this place and hobby (and that i was going to stay) I would have chosen something more suitable for here.

"Do my eyes believe me?"

"That's whatever you were talking about for you"

"Full price for gum? That dog won't hunt Monsignor"

My avatars, like most, have always represented my interests. My first avatar for the longest time was of a unique picture I took while in London...an alley surrounded by buildings and a rather out of place tree among them (Architecture & Photography). On my 1000th post I changed it a couple times, but I was trying too hard to come up with something different that didn't look out of focus. My current avatar represents my other passion, CARS! Will it stay that way, probably not, but for now...it's M3 all the way! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Signatures on the other hand are fun...hence a blend of what I love...fine cars and fine women! :D I think in my case, it shows that I've become more comfortable with my community and friends. I'm happily married but that doesn't mean I can't look at the menu...it simply means I can't order! ;)

Cheers! :drinks:

My original avatar was a bowl on ramen noodles I was eating. That image was just like the OP, an image I had at the time to put up. Nothing serious. The current one I have on now reflects more of who I am and what I love. Most of the stuff on there are my weekend everyday carry (EDC).

The Shaka Sign is a common greeting gesture. It is often associated with Hawai'i. It consists of extending the thumb and smallest finger while keeping the three middle fingers curled, and raising the hand as in salutation with the back of the hand facing the person that is being greeted; sometimes the hand is rotated back and forth to emphasize the sign.

Hawaiian locals use the shaka to convey what locals in Hawai'i call the "Aloha Spirit," a gesture of friendship and understanding between the various ethnic cultures that reside within Hawai'i, and thus it does not have a direct semantic to literal translation. Depending on context it can also be used to communicate notions such as "all right," "cool," "smooth," and the like.

obama_shaka_gest_360.jpg

My avatar was my logo for a company I had for a few years. It was called Redsonics, Inc. and R.E.D. actually stands for something. It stands for Rapid Electron Deployment and I made instrument cables that have such incredible transient response that you actually get more level out of your guitar to the amp. There is an incredible amount of science put into the design and so I really liked the description of moving electrons quickly thru a piece of copper wire. I spent hours and hours designing the logo and it turned out so nicely that I started using here :thumbsupsmileyanim:

REDCLogo.jpg

Nice thread R man!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@Mellons thats a coincidence because if I google my name I get the same thing!!

Floyd is trying in his own way to say that the medication doesnt really work !!!

With Nanuq.... I always thought it was to do with Foxs Glacier mints !!

Cats..I thought you had spotted the plane incoming from China with your next purchase!

Don I had assumed Roger had taken some advice and had some surgery !!

Teejay ..I thought you lived in Brighton!!

And Kris I was thinking it was a mid life crisis

And mine...??? well who knows ;) Maybe I am a milkman :)