When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A crown for my coronet

ubiquitous

A big thanks to flyingwedge for his kindness and generosity in helping me with a 702 crown :) Rec'd last night and fitted to my 5514, replacing the old rep 702 I had installed prior. Amazing how such a small part can have such a big impact on the overall look and feel of a watch!

The broad overview of the build to date:

-Genuine Rolex 1520, serviced and overhauled by The Zigmeister.

-Genuine Rolex 5513 dial; original and untouched.

-Genuine Rolex 5513 Submariner Lumi hands, relumed in a vintage tone by The Zigmeister.

-Genuine 25-19 crystal.

-Genuine fat font tritium insert.

-Genuine bezel.

-Genuine 702 crown. >NEW<

-Genuine 7020 tube. >NEW<

-Phong case with HeV and custom caseback.

-Genuine 78360 bracelet links.

-Genuine 580 end links.

-Genuine 93150 clasp.

-Genuine 2mm Rolex springbars.

IMG_9111.jpg

IMG_9116.jpg

IMG_9117.jpg

IMG_9079.jpg

And an old pic of the crown:

IMG_5188.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

Nice to get rid of that old crown- Bad knurling/teeth and no crimping at the base... Plus, a tad bit too tall. It's a nice feeling to finally have the correct crown/tube in place :)

Thanks, flyingwedge!

^_^

Thanks, gang! ^_^

I have to say... The old crown was a focal point for me; my eyes were always drawn to it, and instead of really enjoying the character of the watch on my wrist, I could only pay attention to the part that was wrong on it. So, this is a nice departure from that OCD.

Hmmmm... What took me so long? I dunno, W... I think I was just procrastinating on swapping everything out to a 703 pairing that I have. But hindsight being what it is, I'm glad I didn't jump the gun, since this 702 is an even better fit!

omgiv- I should have taken a pic while the crown/stem were removed for the swap as that's really the only time that the tip of the tube is visible. With the crown in place, it sits over the end and hence the small flanged area is not apparent. Next time I take it all down, I'll grab a pic.

bkwbkw- A gen 7020 will be pretty tough to find. Every now and then you'll stumble across a NOS sealed example, but it's gonna be pretty pricey :( Alternatively, you might also find some used examples out there, but be careful in your purchase as either the crown threads or tube body/case threads might be worn rendering the part useless. One alternative you can try is an aftermarket tube; one of our members on the forum has access to them. Pretty reasonable in price as well.

Thanks again, and all the best!

//ubi