When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Very interesting Vintage Sub On Ebay

panerai153

Saw this post over on another genuine forum, clicked on the auction, and read the story. It's really intersting, and a stunning example of and early big crown Submariner. The watch is a one owner, being sold by and elderly gentleman (in his 90's) who bought it at a Navy Exchange in the South Pacific in 1958.

Read the story, look at the photos, but by all means drop down and read ALL the plantive appeals to end the auction early. Just shows you what stories some of the "Collectors" can concoct.It's pretty obvious just from looking at the starting price (9.95 USD) and the shipping (4.95 USPS Priority in a flat rate box!) that this old gentleman had no earthly idea what he has.

Here is the Link Vintage Submariner Dive Watch

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I have the phone numbers of three guys with a lot of cash lying around! Hmm... Should I go with water filtration, chimney repair, or good ol' advance-fee letter fraud?

Great story, and I hope the guy gets a fair price for the Sub. If Mulholland wins, I wonder what sort of mark-up we'll see when it goes on sale next week? :whistling:

The seller is in Texas,Mulholland is in Florida.He probably hoped a direct flight to GBI in Houston, went out and looked over the watch himself! I believe I would if I was paying north of 60k for a watch.

i wouldn't be surprised if Steve kept this one around for a while in his private collection. Even the high end stuff is stil a little depressed,so holding on to it for a while until the economy improves may be his plan, but if The Euro implodes like it's looking, i wouldn't want to be holding a lot of high dollar stuff. Remember what happened to the exotic car market back in the 1990's when the Japanese economy crashed. A lot of folks got left holding the bag to the tune of millions of dollars when the (ex) super wealthy buyers quit bidding!

The watch is a one owner, being sold by and elderly gentleman (in his 90's) who bought it at a Navy Exchange in the South Pacific in 1958.

...Just shows you what stories some of the "Collectors" can concoct. It's pretty obvious just from looking at the starting price (9.95 USD) and the shipping (4.95 USPS Priority in a flat rate box!) that this old gentleman had no earthly idea what he has.

Here is the Link Vintage Submariner Dive Watch

Thanks for the heads up regarding the messages attached to the auction. A dealer outright lied in a message to this senior seller. I think it's an outright disgrace, and in my opinion is no different than knocking down an old lady and stealing her purse. This certainly has made me lose any respect I had for this dealer. Thanks again for posting the link.

JJ

Thanks for the heads up regarding the messages attached to the auction. I personally know one particular dealer who outright lied in a message to this senior seller. I think it's an outright disgrace, and in my opinion is no different than knocking down an old lady and stealing her purse. This certainly has made me lose any respect I had for this dealer. Thanks again for posting the link.

JJ

I actually saw the link on the Rolex Forum, went to Ebay and read the auction. I thought it was pretty interesting, as it was and older gentleman who was the original owner, and basically treated the watch as all of us who bought Rolex watches back in the 50's and 60's did. It was a watch,period! Bought to be worn every day under every conceivable condition. only after I went back and started reading the comments did my anger boil over. I thought some of those pleas to end the auction were out and out despicable attempts by dealers, who all DAMN well knew what the watch was worth, to cheat and old guy out of a valuable watch. But you didn't see any of them offering to buy at 60-70k, they were all trying to steal the watch. It is pretty evident that he caught on real fast, because some of his comments were pretty terse.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. I would bet the last few minutes of this auction are going to be real interesting.

um, that's a 5512. Probably from Mary back when they made 1:1 replicas.

Does it have a slow beat 2846 in it?

Pearl is off too.....and the endlinks are wrong. Rehaut is a bit wokky as well.

I am kidding of course. Maybe I should start wearing socks.

um, that's a 5512. Probably from Mary back when they made 1:1 replicas.

Does it have a slow beat 2846 in it?

Pearl is off too.....and the endlinks are wrong. Rehaut is a bit wokky as well.

Hey, I personally don't like how the word ROLEX is spelled backwards on the left side in the second picture. :g:

Nice that he's gonna get some good $ out of it after not having a clue. Although having been a doctor for 50 odd years i'm sure he's not hard up! Not sure why people on forums are saying the watch has amazing history etc? OK, it's good that he's the original owner but as far as i can see it's a simple case of guy in Navy buys a diving watch, wears it to go diving and for general use over the years and is now selling it. Pretty boring and straight forward really.

Edited by TheBluePrince