When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Past, Present and Future

ubiquitous

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After playing around with various reps. ( Rolex), Modding them with Gen parts (Crowns, tubes, crystals), Shaoing cases and CG’s, and then selling them to various members (Stephane showed one in his post), I decided I would build an Ultimate Franken of what I believe is the most beautiful Rolex I ever laid eyes on. It would be from the year of my birth 1963 and it would have this dial:

018.jpg

I started collecting the pieces such as Crown, Tube, bezel assembly, crystal and movement. All Genuine of course.

Then I got a donor watch:

1963 Oyster Perpetual Date with 1560 mov’t.

0052.jpg

Decided the dial was too valuable to put into a Franken, I sold it for a pile-O-cash $$$$$.

I bought this:

006-9.jpg

005-2.jpg

And these:

007-4.jpg

And sent them to The Zigmeister.

Bought a case from NDT for big $$$, shaped the CG’s to pointy and built this:

DSCN3184.jpg

Also seen in the pic is a Tudor with Gen dial(from Ubi).

Needless to say, and Sad to think about…..it is gone. Sold to a Member.

And then the cruel hand of fate smacked me upside the head and dropped this into my lap:

033-1.jpg

002.jpg

034-1.jpg

026-3.jpg

030-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

022-5.jpg

Yes, 1963 Gilt Pointed CG All original and unmolested by any polishing.

Sadly I couldn’t afford it but I managed to find it a nice home with a member here.

I really don’t want to travel back in time anymore as there have been too many watches(all gone) and many Gens that I have brought to members here.

Such as:

Genuine Omega Moonwatch (Pugster)

Genuine GMT Fat Lady(2) One to Lani the other to a member I can’t recall.

Genuine Rolex Zephyr

Genuine Rolex GMT II Ceramic and genuine Rolex Yachtmaster – Member here

Many others.

So while not as skilled at modding, I still enjoy helping members whenever I can.

RWG, Family, Friends, Forever!

@ Ubi....are you a Rolexfan?

Those shells...will recognize them anytime, remembers me of good times at Stefanes in Brussels

Ubi, a Rolex fan ? Naahhh :whistling:

That was a shock Capice...I mean our first GTG.

God I was stressed like if I met a group of Playboy Centerfold Girls :Jumpy:

From time to time, I'll wander off and try some other brands... AP, PP, IWC... Sometimes Omega or Panerai... But I always come back to vintage Rolex!

^_^

I know what you mean Ubi and can't agree more.

I've owned quite a number of other brands models...nothing beats a 1665!

After having sold them all, can't wait to have my "new" 1665 & 1680 back from Tribal. :yu:

Only few parts left and we're done. Yiiipeeee ;)

@ Lhooq: what a fantastic 1016 picture in that water ! Love it. :D

Ah, Kurt, that isn't bad either :good:

:surrender:

Basicly I used to think this was a good replica about 5 years ago...

post-6336-0-13544900-1295599345.jpg

Now, many years later, I wear these..

Recently Modded Pure Time 1680

post-6336-0-73585900-1295599523.jpg

Franken old skool MBW1680, gen white tritium dial etc

16030 gen Rolex datejust with ETA2836 replacement motor.

post-6336-0-32383100-1295599602.jpg

MBW franken 16610

post-6336-0-78538800-1295599830.jpg

Doesnt compete with you other guys here. You have some amazing watches!

dizz

jmb: Is it me or is the collection you posted a bit... abridged? I could've sworn you had a few dozen examples of Rolex/Tudor by now!

Stephane: Thanks for the compliment! I chose that picture, because I still go swimming with that rep at least three times a week. It really takes a beating.

So many nice Rolexes (and Tudors!) in this thread, and many others that I wish I could see. (Any new pictures, Flex?)

I've been known to dabble a bit in Rolex :)

From time to time, I'll wander off and try some other brands... AP, PP, IWC... Sometimes Omega or Panerai... But I always come back to vintage Rolex!

^_^

wow a lot of Rolex eyeviolence..

I know the feeling Ubi, have the same but then with Panerai

jmb: Is it me or is the collection you posted a bit... abridged? I could've sworn you had a few dozen examples of Rolex/Tudor by now!

M, I have about 8 Rollies and 10 Tudors. I just popped up the three pics to illustrate my "horological evolution", so to speak...

OK, how do you do that? I tried taking pics of the lume and got nothing! 

Set up your shot with a tripod and timer or remote. The key to a good lume shot is to have the camera steady. That's where the tripod comes in handy... Using a timer or remote will allow the camera to snap the pic without being disturbed:

IMG_5770.jpg

IMG_5974.jpg

After 5 or 6 years you begin to realize that you probably need help....

Here's some early reps,

W2089.jpg

I bought this 5513 from Paul for $139. It has the swiss eta and I trimmed the cg's, installed a better pearl- popped it right in there and finally put a better aftermarket dial in there, here it is on the left, another WR rep!

P1000193.jpg

Watch on the right is Paul's $139 DRSD- working HE valve and a swiss eta- I passed the case on to Chi and I'm saving the movement for the matte dial Sea-Dweller- 16660. Future, sorry no pics yet

Next up is the noobmariner- this one came from River- $100+ with the asian eta- one of the first out there- trimmed the cg's, gen crown and AM tube, WM pearl and filed the backside of the insert- what a great beater! WR to boot. The asian eta finally crapped out after 3 years- sure wish my watchmaker would work on them!

P1000207-1-1.jpg

Recent projects include the 6238/9 transitional- here it is with white hands on the subdials- I've since changed to black- this is with a V72

P1000454.jpg

Here's my triumvirate of beaters- 1665 top left, 16800 top right and 16610 on the bottom. All are great beaters and WR, great for wade fishing, jet ski riding and general floating around in the canal on hot summer days w/ a cool adult beverage

P1010056.jpg

As for future, there's the 6542 big crown and the 16660 matte dial SD coming up- sorry, no pics yet. Also, the white dialed 6542 from PT is on the way, but as my good friend JMB would say, we're not spending a whole wad of cash on this mod! Stay tuned.

Without a doubt THE most significant Rep Rolli thread ever posted anywhere or anytime since I have been online. That would be 7 years.

Between Ubi and Freddy there is more knowledge of the Rolex legacy than ANY information currently available on ANY gen forums.

We are indeed fortunate to have members like these guys to learn from.

Thank you, all.

Without a doubt THE most significant Rep Rolli thread ever posted anywhere or anytime since I have been online. That would be 7 years.

Between Ubi and Freddy there is more knowledge of the Rolex legacy than ANY information currently available on ANY gen forums.

We are indeed fortunate to have members like these guys to learn from.

Thank you, all.

Yes indeed victory.gif

Yes there is more vintage Rolex knowledge here than anywhere else. Most of the guys on the gen forums only know how to throw down the VISA to buy a watch or send it out to have work done. Here, almost everyone is trying to learn everything for themselves.

• 1 month later...

Yes there is more vintage Rolex knowledge here than anywhere else.

Respectfully, I'd say that VRF has the edge over our humble forum. But it's so much nicer here! And besides, I reckon more than a few RWGers hang out in that shark tank.

I credit you guys for giving me the balls to start making parts and dive into the world of modding!

"I like you. You have balls. I like balls."

cool !

here is a part of my past ;)

first Rep:

CIMG1502.jpg

first gen Sub:

DSC02195.jpg

first MBW:

CIMG1622.jpg

first Franken:

CIMG2255.jpg

first gen vintage Sub: