When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is Panerai now passé?

what are the odds that after mentioning how I don't really see any, on my way home today at liverpool street I spot a pam infront of me on the tube. The guy he was with was wearing a rather shiny vintage sub on bond nato.

Just wish I had my 1665 on the bond nato on. I would have given him his due props and we could have been watch buddies! although to be fair it (sub on bond nato) does look ridiculous with a suit. Alas, it was the day my stupid Stupid Avenger Skyland was in the rotation!

edit:Lobster, was it you I saw?

Haha, I do end up in Liverpool Street from time to time :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But don't be afraid of wearing a nato strap with a suit. I actually wore my IWC XVI on a green nato with a suit the other. Then again, I did that because I intended to go gyming just after work :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panerai has been campaigning a massive attack on TV shows for at least a year, giving watches to wardrobe departments for television hosts and players to wear.

Every cable TV host I see now is wearing a Panerai .. for at least 8 months.

Gen pam's, like the reps, were really popular say 5 years ago.

Now days you see more sub's than any other watch on the guys who look like they can afford

an expensive watch.

AP and IWC are the cool deal these days....Gen or rep.

Youth these days have way less dough than we did when we were youth's.

Therefore less gens of all types...more garbage reps..of all types, especially Rolex's.

44mm watches are still popular, but I am amazed at the number of 50 mm watches - Mostly garbage, that I see on many young guns.

My favorite daily beater watch is still the 41mm Omega Seamaster Pro, and the 41mm PP Aquanaut, and oh yea there would be that PP Nautilus Jumbo for dress up. All Genta - all classic's. But then there is no accounting for taste is there?post-22-0-43780000-1304976578.jpg

post-22-0-29019100-1304976655.jpg

post-22-0-11518600-1304976732.jpg

In the city center of munich you could see a lot of PAMs and Rolex every day. In june-august you could see every watch. But just because the rich arabs are spending their holidays here.

If you have a gen for sale, come to Munich in Summer :)

They'll buy everything for your asking price because they don't care about money!!!

Hey ADZ - hi from Perth in Western Australia!

There are PAM ADs in Perth, and you have some in Victoria, too. Watches of Switzerland, for example. I have two gens from them (068 and 111), and many interesting reps as well - some of which I have sourced from other sellers, and others made from parts bought for specific projects (like my recently "almost finished" 6152/1 which has a dial issue and needs a new one from Vintage Watch Parts UK... Gordon is being very nice about it...).

In Perth - in the last 5 years I have seen maybe five gen-wearers. In my experience, that makes gens as rare as hen's teeth here. I have turned at least 10 of my friends onto good quality reps in the last year or so.

I wouldn't call Panerai a "passe" brand. They are still comparatively "rare" compared to the Rollies and the Omegas known to all.

These days - my presumption is that it is a rep, until proved otherwise...

And as a side note - I actually get more fun wearing my reps than my gens - because I am less fussed about babying them, and I am FOR SURE not going to see anyone else wearing the same watches!

Cheers to all and have a great day!

Ian

I would say they are quite rare in Vancouver as well. I would say that the majority of people don't even know what Panerai is here although I get the odd girl telling me that their husband or bf talks about them. Lol. The best was when i was wearing my gen 000 and my coworker says, "that's a nice watch you have there. Looks expensive, how much did you spend? 300-400?" yyyeeeehhhh... Just a bit shy... Lol

You NEVER see Pam's here in Australia, hell I've never even seen a Pam dealer here. I did however spot an Asian tourist on the Gold Coast with one :)

Not the case in Sydney they are becoming much more common and see quite a few in the coffee shops and beaches

I totally agree W....

Now what was the expression I remember reading in an article recently..... PAM owners are just EuroTrash...

:)

I think Jeff is responsible for all the finance guys in NYC being aspirational to PAMs !!!!! :)

The best was when i was wearing my gen 000 and my coworker says, "that's a nice watch you have there. Looks expensive, how much did you spend? 300-400?" yyyeeeehhhh... Just a bit shy... Lol

Haha had a colleague a while ago ask me about my brand new Sead Ultimate 111H the day I started wearing it, he said rather more nonchalantly than I expected, 'Nice watch', and went about his business. He certainly noticed it, but could have cared less. What gets people about PAMs is the Crown Guard. It's a very noticeable feature, and what immediately identifies Luminor cased PAMs.

However, if he's have said "3-400 bucks" I'd have been [censored] hehehe :)

"Passe" of a brand occurs when products get distributed out to the masses - a phenomenon which will eventually lead to a "jump" onto others of interests.

Panerai has longed been worn and celebrated by people in the media - with Stallone at the forefront in the 90s, and many others as we witness today.

Has the brand been successful in their network of distribution through various marketing tactics? I would say that any 20something would love to spot a 44mm on their wrists. The form of the luminor case follows the function indefinitely, in such a way Rolex have followed suit in its 44mm DSSD creation. No doubt, visibility to both the wearer and the "watcher" aka outsider, has taken the horology world by storm.

A revamped brand, bought over by a group who has succeeded in selling more Panerais today, is the situation. If it had been left to the known Prevendome-era few, and the reality of a bankruptcy, a 201/A will still cost at least more than 50% of today's market price. The game that the Post-Vendome Panerai played was still one that was founded on supply and demand, coupled with excellent eyeball-visibility in the market, one that will keep the prices afloat.

As collectors, we are all very in tune to the notion of intricate details, be it refined or as a gestalt (whole). Truth of the fact, the watch engulfing our wristbones aint' going to get much notice. It's the attachment of our emotions to things, that we have developed over a period of time - that is you and I. Let's face it, our passion for these wristies are revolved around "brand jumping" - this is what I define as the "Phases of a Watch Collector". Today I may be so in love with Panerai, tommorrow Rolex, the day after AP. We tend to "hop around" as the passion for one brand dies down, always in search of the next best thing that will strike an adjusted accelerated heartbeat that will spark those ocular visions up with fire.

Having spoken to reputed watchmakers from the 70s era, and their faces are always cringe up when I ask them about their thoughts on Panerai. "Too big, clunky and looks like a clock." ...."Is there a need for such magnified pieces on your wrists?" ...."My 34mm or 36mm tops do just fine, and they are darn light, Isn't a watch supposed to be functional? Whatever happened to the considerations of perfection within the watch case? Like a movement fitment without a cage?"

Today, a youth emerging into a man will beg to differ and diss the notion of a "34 or 36mm" - thats for sure. I can't picture myself rolling with such small circumferences. At the same time, I can never go back to any case that is bigger than 44mm either. A few series of 47mm PAMs have knocked some wrist senses into me. "Proportion" is the word. Some Machos can carry U-Boats, put them on a Smallie, and you have a Clock Formula.

These days, going back and forth with the love and hate for Panerai, I still find myself wearing my 44s every now and then, with 40mm Rolexes claiming most of wristbone times. There's no right and wrong in choices or jumping ships of brands, its a natural progression. Our wrists are Forever Inexperienced, just like our Heart. We dive right down into the deep end of the pool, only to catch ourselves coming up for a breather or 2. That said, I just caught a breather on a recent gen Pam acquisition after a long long hiatus, and I am happy to be back infatuated with this Italian that once rocked my world.

How long will this re-Love last, I wonder....

not that i had any particular love for Panerai but seeing them being sported on Real Housewives has totally killed it for me :D

A tip for those who want to stand out and NEVER be imitated - this one will never ever be seen on housewives, presidents, baristas or fashionistas. A great watch with plenty of history and authority (Breitling made) fetching Speedie pro prices on the bay. It's an interesting thing to wear because you know most people think it looks like a cheap and ugly eighties beater, something only a nerf-herder would wear :thumbsupsmileyanim:

CHRONOSPORT UDT

432060d1304652334-chronosport-udt-udt6.jpg

I think Jeff is responsible for all the finance guys in NYC being aspirational to PAMs !!!!! :)

Hahahahaha ... there were already many PAM wearers in NYC before I even know what a panerai was. First saw gen 196 on banker's wrist about 3 years ago when discussing business deals in his area and got hooked right there and then. I have not looked back ever since. ;)

But I do wear other brands like rolex, IWC, hublots, stowas and longines, so panerai ain't all I wear and love ... :whistling:

@watchmeister - I didn't know you were in/around NYC. Do you live and work in the city? I am in downtown NYC's financial services area of course. :)

Edited by R_Squared

passé? :o:o:o ...like Madonna and wodden wall clocks?????

Now what a terrible question.....large and big watches are still the thing and will likely be so as long as our generation(s) is/are alive...just as pocketwatches was the love of my grandfather to his dying day (and then I inherited his favorite in gold with chains and gold coin pendant on it but it is well hidden in a bank deposit box for safety)

I have no Panerai myself but think they have nice blend of modern and (florence based) tradition

Locally... I've seen one Pam in the wild... a 40mm, guessing an 049, on the wrist of a very attractive blonde driving a very expensive convertible MB with what appeared to be a very expensive set of rep *cough, urm....* you-know-whats. :wub:

No idea if the Pam was a rep... I was trying to figure out the pedigree of the *cough, urm....* :brow::g:

I've only had two folks approach and comment about the Pams on my wrist... both times with dignified politeness and questions about the model etc... Both lead to great watch conversations and two new friends.

I see probably 5 or so Omega or Breit watches for every Rollie I run across... and probably 10 Rollie for every "Other" Haute-Branded watch I run across.

I have yet to run across anyone wearing a Graham or AP... but I do have a line on a Gen Graham from a friend for well under 3k. :1a: Tempting.

watchmeister - I didn't know you were in/around NYC. Do you live and work in the city? I am in downtown NYC's financial services area of course. :)

Same thing but mid-town. ;)

I bought my first PAM years ago while on vacation in the Carribean - PAM 25. Hadn't ever seen one before and loved it. When I got back to the States I don't think I saw another one for a couple of years. I found the rep forums when I wanted to buy another one and there were so few if any around even in NYC that I searched under Panerai on the internet and the rest is history. :lol:

Same thing but mid-town. ;)

I bought my first PAM years ago while on vacation in the Carribean - PAM 25. Hadn't ever seen one before and loved it. When I got back to the States I don't think I saw another one for a couple of years. I found the rep forums when I wanted to buy another one and there were so few if any around even in NYC that I searched under Panerai on the internet and the rest is history. :lol:

Nice to know another member is in NYC. We should try to get together one day. I do go up to mid-town around grand central for business meetings & industry seminars sometimes. ;)

I only got into panerais full on after I found the rep forums. The reps allows me to round out my panerai collection. I can't see myself buying too many of the gen panerais given that they are mostly very similar.

Edited by R_Squared