When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage GMT Master

jmb

TJGladeraider was kind enough to part with one of his GMT Masters and after a dial change and lug drilling I think it's a right smart looking watch! I told him I had gotten rid of all of my GMT watches and this would fill an obvious hole in my collection. The only problem being I either need to make room in the watch box (over the 20 limit) or buy an "secondary" box - I opted for the second option! :whistling: I may try a Pepsi insert on it but I'm kinda liking the subdued nature of the black insert.

Enough jawin', here's some pics...

Black GMT Master 1.JPG

Black GMT Master 2.JPG

Black GMT Master 3.JPG

Black GMT Master 4.JPG

Black GMT Master 5.JPG

Black GMT Master 6.JPG

Black GMT Master 7.JPG

Black GMT Master 8.JPG

Got in my Clark 25-116 crystals so stuck one on this morning. I decreased the height about .050" since the construction is not gen-like and it basically sits in a groove in the top of the rehaut. I then epoxied the crystal into the groove. I might could have took off a bit more but since it's glued in I'm gonna live with it. The date mag is very nice and I can actually read it!

Here's a couple follow-up shots.

pepsi 1.JPG

pepsi 2.JPG

pepsi 3.JPG

Very very nice J!

The new crystal is a big improvement! I like the pepsi better too.. although the black was nice.

I love rivets, but this will look good with a jubilee! I love my gen Jubilee on my GMT (but your GMT is way better than mine)

J that's a great build. I LOVE GMT's . I think that thye are probably the most underrated of all the Rolex sport models. Yet they really have the most utility, as you have the 2nd TZ capability. With the thin case, they wear so well, mine absolutely becomes "invisible" onm my wrist.

Wondering is this one of TJ's with the 2893-2 movement?

Got in my Clark 25-116 crystals so stuck one on this morning. I decreased the height about .050" since the construction is not gen-like and it basically sits in a groove in the top of the rehaut. I then epoxied the crystal into the groove. I might could have took off a bit more but since it's glued in I'm gonna live with it. The date mag is very nice and I can actually read it!

Here's a couple follow-up shots.

pepsi 1.JPG

pepsi 2.JPG

pepsi 3.JPG

Nice job!

I had to shave .030" from the crystal and another .035" from the case.

I used silicon to glue mine in.

This piece is using the modified ETA 2836 movement with the adjustable GMT hand.

Chi - Is this bezel really that bad? :shock: If the "scumbag's" bezel is for gen type construction then it's probably a no-go as this one attaches by way of the 8-sided paperclip spring...