When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Boredom... I has it.

ubiquitous

Ughhh...

After having built everything I thought I wanted (and maybe even some things that I didn't want), I've come to a conclusion that I realized a long time ago- The hobby is only fun while there's something to do.

I've been thinking about this for the past few days trying to figure out where to take things next. Do I just keep accumulating? Do I mix things up and diversify?

I've found that collecting parts is almost enough to keep me busy... And almost as fulfilling. So, I keep perusing all my usual sources for stuff/parts/etc. hoping to see something unusual, interesting or something that I've never seen before. Maybe a price or deal on something that I just cannot pass up. But day in, day out it's always the same old stuff. Sometimes I feel like I've reached the end of the Internets as there's just not anything really interesting to see.

Maybe I'm just in a slump...

Lol

Cheer up! Like you, I spend alot of time-wasting looking for parts ..

I bought a nos gen tropic 39 today for 125. I thought compared to what I usually see I did good.

Always hunting and thinking about what to do next and what to do to make what I already have better.

Well, with the qualities of your builds you must be topping out by now.

And speaking of parts hunting: I might need some help soon. Got myself in some trouble while browsing ebay unsupervised:

6542gencase.jpg

6542 mid case, that's all I got so far (and already spent more than on most of my other builds :)

HELP !!!

Couldn't agree more with you Ubi. Lately i've been in a bit of an internet slump. I find I do my rounds of my few favorite sites a lot quicker than usual and end up bored and moving on to something else. As for this hobby, I have a couple of projects on the go at the moment, but i've run out of things I want to build/try. I guess it comes in waves, but I am definitely in a slump at the moment.

They don't call it catch and release for nothin. This hobby is a lot like fishing. You spend a bunch of time and money getting the best tackle and researching the best fishing spot, then spend the day fishing and come home empty handed.

Edited by mcdj

I've been slumping for a while now, but for some reasons things seem to be looking up for me. Its the whole circle of life (sorry just got back from disneyworld). Should you decide to take a break, this i know: the fine members that make this board what it is will be here when you return.

Ive come to realize recently that ups and downs in all things is essential. Balance/harmony is key to longevity and happiness. I wish you and yours all the best, and know that if you decide a break from this is what you need, we all will keep a steady eye on the horizon for your return.

-M

well, once you've finished everything, there's always the photography and going out doing stuff with the watch. I have a peculiar 5513 case in a project I'm doing. It fits a 16800 insert, 26.8mm dial, a 28.7mm ID 30.42 OD crystal, but otherwise looks perfect. It's one hell of a challenge, bought some cheapie asian rep to fit all my spare parts I bought by "mistake" XD

Could be time to dump the whole lot and start over again. :lol: Seriously, I think all the folks who have been doing these builds for a few years wake up some mornings and say time to start over again and limit the builds to the half dozen watches we might actually wear. And the funny thing is that for all the recalcitrant threads about regretting selling something I have never looked back on the few I havea actually sold or given to friends.

Not saying go away for good, but I can recommend this addition to while away a few months/years. After which you can return here and start over.

StraightRazorPlace

Lynn, the guy who runs the site is a great guy and you can certainly learn a bit about finishing, metalwork, steels, soaps, etc... Not to mention never having to buy a disposable razor again and being able to pick up project razors on eBay and/or yardsales for pennies.

I suspect many of the folks on RWG based on their interested in vintage and/or mechanical pieces will find this at least a little interesting. - JEKS

As much energy is it took for him to put together the Daytona Franken he should give that old thing to me and build a shiny new one!!!

I kinda know how he feels as I've pretty much built everything I can afford... :unsure:

After having built everything I thought I wanted (and maybe even some things that I didn't want), I've come to a conclusion that I realized a long time ago- The hobby is only fun while there's something to do.

Maybe I'm just in a slump...

My remedy was to set my sights on the near-impossible (constructing a gen steel 6062 out of parts), which, based on previous projects, should keep me occupied for some time.

And speaking of parts hunting: I might need some help soon. Got myself in some trouble while browsing ebay unsupervised:

6542gencase.jpg

6542 mid case, that's all I got so far (and already spent more than on most of my other builds :)

Be careful. That is exactly how I got in trouble with this -- 1 lucky gen part find led to another &, before you know it............

IMG_00242__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

Hell R, it's summer time. I am finding this hobby to be more of a rainy day / winter thing myself.

I have actually tried to make a conscience effort to stay off the internet on weekends.

Your collection is rock star, I think I would take pause myself if I had your wares. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Take the kids to the pool.

I absolutely agree with Ronin. Summer is for outside and doing things that you can't do in the winter. Even if it's miserably hot here, I just want to be outdoors. Most of us are forced inside in the winter with the cold, rain,snow and short days. Inside projects are much more appealing then.

I know how you feel, my interests in my hobbies wax and wane.I get pretty excited about watches, and then after a while, it’s just not asinteresting. Unfortunately, I don’t have the skills that some of you maestroshave when it comes to tearing a watch down and repairing, replacing, altering,etc. Heck, I couldn’t even get the bezel assembly back on my Tudor 9411/0,remember!! I believe that these peaks and valleys affect most everyone, unlessyou are just one of those rare folks that become obsessed with something to thepoint that it occupies every bit of your time. I don’t think that extreme isparticularly healthy either.

I visit a fair number of watch websites, and I have found that over the past couple of months, the number of visitors are less and the posting rate is way down. I would guess that most folks are doing something more fun at the moment.

Take a little break, plan another project. I think the 6542would be a wonderful project. Heck, you can build one for Me!! :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I hate the air of finality to this thread! I'll second freddy's idea for a ridiculously difficult, multi-year-long project. You'll put that on the shelf a couple of times, and turn out a few side projects that would count as grail builds for the rest of us.

In the meantime, go back to Disneyland!